What's your favourite strike combo to start a fight? Be imaginative

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to stay clear of fighting and only resort to it as a last resort if i am trying to defend myself from an oncoming attack.
Your right in what you are saying but defending yourself doesn't start after the opponent has started striking. Your already at a huge disadvantage, stopping his strikes (which are random) and can be difficult, rather than Inflicting your own. I'd say self defense starts when you feel the situation is more than likely to escalate into an exchange of blows .. be first, let him focus on stopping your strikes rather than you stop his.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the quick left sucker punch followed by a big right.
If that don't work try a leg sweep to knock them over then put on a big head lock to try and break off their head.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katana is tricky due to being incredibly sharp and incredibly well made. It's one flaw is it's length and how thin it is. Even though it seems like it could cut through anything, hacking at bone destroys the Katana. It's also easily beaten by a stronger blade (like a galdius) or a shield. But it is long and light so it's difficult to fight a master.

In Ninjutsu training they teach you to get in close as soon as combat starts. If the combatant is left handed then step in to the right. If they're right handed then step in to the left while keeping a small form (arms close to the body crossed with palms out)

From there you can do many things but the easiest way to beat them is by grabbing the hilt with your closest hand, punching off the their other hand with your other hand, putting your other hand on the back of the blade then pulling back while pushing the blade through. The result is that you used their blade to cut them from the groin up.

Ninjas really don't like balls.
A good Katana does not lose its edge. Cutting through bone is what it is designed to do. It is flexible and can bend quite a bit. It's a very deadly weapon.
Samurai were all right handed. Left hand was not permitted.

Here's a piece of trivia for you. All Samurai wear their swords to the left, so they can quickly draw with their right hand. If you touch a Samurai's blade, you must apologise, or fight to the death. If you were a peasant. he would probably just kill you anyway. No Samurai would ever lower himself to apologise if he accidentally brushed another's blade in passing, so there would be fights on the main roads. Everyone travelled by foot in feudal Japan. To prevent so many incidents of bumping swords on the roads, the Emperor issued an edict that everyone must keep to the left so that swords would be on the outside of the road, and not be bumped by someone coming the other way. That is the reason why Japan drives on the left today.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A good Katana does not lose its edge. Cutting through bone is what it is designed to do. It is flexible and can bend quite a bit. It's a very deadly weapon.
Samurai were all right handed. Left hand was not permitted.

Here's a piece of trivia for you. All Samurai wear their swords to the left, so they can quickly draw with their right hand. If you touch a Samurai's blade, you must apologise, or fight to the death. If you were a peasant. he would probably just kill you anyway. No Samurai would ever lower himself to apologise if he accidentally brushed another's blade in passing, so there would be fights on the main roads. Everyone travelled by foot in feudal Japan. To prevent so many incidents of bumping swords on the roads, the Emperor issued an edict that everyone must keep to the left so that swords would be on the outside of the road, and not be bumped by someone coming the other way. That is the reason why Japan drives on the left today.
There are many myths around the Katana. It definitely can cut clean through bone if a good technique is used, but cutting bone makes the blade pretty blunt. The "a katana never loses its edge" thing is a bit of a myth the sword makers would mainly sell. A Katana can be up to 32,000 layers of carbon steel but like any blade, it's edge is prone to becoming blunt based purely on the thinness (and sharpness) of the edge. Japanese steel is less prone to becoming blunt that other steel but it still does become blunt and is very difficult to sharpen.

Ninja were trained to fight both left handed and right handed swordsmen because a ninja fighting a samurai was extremely rare. Normally they would either fight farmers, or other ninja. And most of the Ninjutsu techniques revolve around distraction and running away.

The history of the Ninja is always very interesting too. A lot of it was wiped out so it's mainly told by the Japanese lineage of masters but it's interesting stuff. My favourite fact about the Ninja is that they never really wore black. That was a myth invented in movies. They would generally be spies who dressed like farmers.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are many myths around the Katana. It definitely can cut clean through bone if a good technique is used, but cutting bone makes the blade pretty blunt. The "a katana never loses its edge" thing is a bit of a myth the sword makers would mainly sell. A Katana can be up to 32,000 layers of carbon steel but like any blade, it's edge is prone to becoming blunt based purely on the thinness (and sharpness) of the edge. Japanese steel is less prone to becoming blunt that other steel but it still does become blunt and is very difficult to sharpen.

Ninja were trained to fight both left handed and right handed swordsmen because a ninja fighting a samurai was extremely rare. Normally they would either fight farmers, or other ninja. And most of the Ninjutsu techniques revolve around distraction and running away.

The history of the Ninja is always very interesting too. A lot of it was wiped out so it's mainly told by the Japanese lineage of masters but it's interesting stuff. My favourite fact about the Ninja is that they never really wore black. That was a myth invented in movies. They would generally be spies who dressed like farmers.
Ninja were often family groups, and hired assassins. Poison was also in their repertoire.They were not respected by the warrior classes.
You are correct, they did not wear black, but would if they had to steal into a castle at night.
I've not heard of blunting a Katana on bone, but they were kept sharp by their owners anyway. They were mainly decorative, as hand to hand fighting in close combat favoured the short swords. Guns soon made them obsolete.

You should read up on one of their real life heroes- Yoshitsune and his offsider, the fighting monk Benkei.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ninja were often family groups, and hired assassins. Poison was also in their repertoire.They were not respected by the warrior classes.
You are correct, they did not wear black, but would if they had to steal into a castle at night.
I've not heard of blunting a Katana on bone, but they were kept sharp by their owners anyway. They were mainly decorative, as hand to hand fighting in close combat favoured the short swords. Guns soon made them obsolete.

You should read up on one of their real life heroes- Yoshitsune and his offsider, the fighting monk Benkei.
Yeah, the thing with Katanas is that they were a little temperamental. They are brittle and don't deal well with hard substances. They can still cut through many things but like with any blade, if you don't cleanly slice through the blade then it can ding and bend. And being brittle they tend to break if you bend them.

They also rust really easy. Fingerprints will tend to rust them which is why they're constantly oiled.

The Japanese history is really interesting. Haven't researched it much since I stopped training but I need to get back into it.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A wise person told me today don't get into a fight with an ugly person / renter... They have nothing to lose... I had no comeback...

A smashed crab / dogs breakfast looks no better after a beating..

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old coach taught all of us in our first fight to always sit down on your punches, majority of people are right handed so always sit on your back foot, roll your shoulder to the right and come back witn a right hand or a upper cut . Won 3 of my Amateur fights by tko with a right hand, you know who does this all the time ? Floyd may weather cause majority Of peoples power punch is a right hand, fighting is about being patient and 99% or drunks will telegraph a punch , just look at their feet when they come
And stand up to you , if the rigbt foot is back and left foot forward you know you got a right hander. Just my two cents im Not here to pretend I know everything ,
But I love boxing always have always will and it’s the little things that help. Never under estimate
A jab it’s the best punch ever when you master it :grinning:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old coach taught all of us in our first fight to always sit down on your punches, majority of people are right handed so always sit on your back foot, roll your shoulder to the right and come back witn a right hand or a upper cut . Won 3 of my Amateur fights by tko with a right hand, you know who does this all the time ? Floyd may weather cause majority Of peoples power punch is a right hand, fighting is about being patient and 99% or drunks will telegraph a punch , just look at their feet when they come
And stand up to you , if the rigbt foot is back and left foot forward you know you got a right hander. Just my two cents im Not here to pretend I know everything ,
But I love boxing always have always will and it’s the little things that help. Never under estimate
A jab it’s the best punch ever when you master it :grinning:
Good advice, the jab is important.

I think you need power in a short range. I'm talking about a movement of 5-10 inches. Power comes from your shoulder and back. Unless your opponents arms are already in the way basically impossible to stop, it's when you wind back for a swing that your opponent can read it.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice, the jab is important.

I think you need power in a short range. I'm talking about a movement of 5-10 inches. Power comes from your shoulder and back. Unless your opponents arms are already in the way basically impossible to stop, it's when you wind back for a swing that your opponent can read it.
If you got a towel and wet it and chucked it as hard as you can at a heavy bag would it hurt you if it hit you in the head ? Or if you spun and whipped it at someone’s head like when we we were kids then I’m sure not onky does it snap, make more noise and hurt more it demonstrates speed kills. I respectfully disagree with shoulders being the power, all punches transfer from the legs , look at Pac-Man etc. some people are Natural born killers.. they always say power comes from your legs , pushing through , stepping in. :grinning:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a infamous strike years ago.

I was in the gym swinging my arms round to stretch. Basically in a windmill action. Out of nowhere some guy walked past behind me and copped a fist on the top of his head. Unexpected for both myself and the recipient. It was like a hammer to the head. I couldn't help but smirk and chuckle for the rest of the day, just walking by and copping a hammer fist to the top of the head. :grinning:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you got a towel and wet it and chucked it as hard as you can at a heavy bag would it hurt you if it hit you in the head ? Or if you spun and whipped it at someone’s head like when we we were kids then I’m sure not onky does it snap, make more noise and hurt more it demonstrates speed kills. I respectfully disagree with shoulders being the power, all punches transfer from the legs , look at Pac-Man etc. some people are Natural born killers.. they always say power comes from your legs , pushing through , stepping in. :grinning:
Agree with ultimate power from the legs but my point is about generating power in a short movement. Not having time to step into the punch or wind back a strike.. More like your feet planted and whipping your hips, shoulder, back into a short movement. Nice n close etc.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with ultimate power from the legs but my point is about generating power in a short movement. Not having time to step into the punch or wind back a strike.. More like your feet planted and whipping your hips, shoulder, back into a short movement. Nice n close etc.
Wel the whip for sure ;) snap a punch not push it. I have zero co ordination for kicking so can’t comment on that

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
No trains and buses strike and then getting wedged in the train shoulder to shoulder with someone coughing and spluttering is a fav combo the entire way to the city almost started a fight. Hi Omnicron I guess we will get to know each other.