what's with the "poor" melbourne storm!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
After watching news reports, footy shows and other media shows it seem's to me that they are all trying to make excuses for what the storm did and pretty much want everyone to be sympathetic for them.it seems like they are all pro-storm.

Now if i remember right when we got busted for cheating the cap we were given no sympathy and were continually smashed by the media for it and still to this day get abused by people for being "cheats".
the media and rugby league in generally were anti-bulldogs towards us.

it's just getting under my skin as to why they would be doing this for the storm but when it was us we were the scum of rugby league.does anyone else think that that's how it's coming across?? do u feel the same way about it??

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
ite been on the front page every day mate
he is meaning that all the rugby league people in the media are saying storm should be able to do this and do that and are supporting the storm in a way. With us everyone was saying we are cheats, we should be dropped for a season and no one really stood up for us like a lot of people are for the storm.

Number13

Management
Reaction score
The NRL had no other option but to do what they did. Unfortunately, the club boses are aware of the rules despite how ridiculous they are.

The current leadsership will live and die by the decision to implement the salary cap in its current form. There is no doubt changes to the SC is required. The SC is s blunt instrument and unfortunately only encourages risk taking by the clubs in order to manage their player pool including their home grown talent.

The NRL leadership hope that the next round of the TV rights will become the panacea to their problems. They have no option but to secure a much better deal from the Pay TV and free to air networks otherwise the current SC will remain as is.

The NRL leadership is to blame for the mess we are in. But you will hard pressed to find any negative thoughts from the current crop of hacks plastering their ill conceived thoughts and irratioinal explanation across their dailys.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
he is meaning that all the rugby league people in the media are saying storm should be able to do this and do that and are supporting the storm in a way. With us everyone was saying we are cheats, we should be dropped for a season and no one really stood up for us like a lot of people are for the storm.
yea Costa,that's exactly what i ment.i see u are thinking the same as me.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
umm the reason why they are sympathetic is for the fact we were kicked out of the comp with 3 games left, and still were able to score points.

Melbourne copped it way worse, which in a way if you reflect on it now, its a bit too harsh. I think the players and fans dont care if the NRL take away the premierships/minor premierships as they can never take away the experience of it and knowing they are the champions in their own minds. The fines mean jack either.

But like Gould said, they should be able to still fight for this season. Take away all their points this year and let them start at say -4/-6ish. If they make it, good on them, it would mean theyd have to score 36 out of a possible 40 points remaining (includes the warriors game already played). Most likely will just miss the 8 but at least they have something to aim for.

You cant expect the players to rock up week in week out knowing its all for nothing. They cant keep aiming up week in week out for fans. Once the SOO is over, their form will start dropping knowing the near is end.

Like most at first i thought it was fair, but now looking at it, it is cruel. Give them a fine, dock them the premierships, dock them the points from the 1st 6 weeks plus a few more points, but let them get on with it then.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
umm the reason why they are sympathetic is for the fact we were kicked out of the comp with 3 games left, and still were able to score points.

Melbourne copped it way worse, which in a way if you reflect on it now, its a bit too harsh. I think the players and fans dont care if the NRL take away the premierships/minor premierships as they can never take away the experience of it and knowing they are the champions in their own minds. The fines mean jack either.

But like Gould said, they should be able to still fight for this season. Take away all their points this year and let them start at say -4/-6ish. If they make it, good on them, it would mean theyd have to score 36 out of a possible 40 points remaining (includes the warriors game already played). Most likely will just miss the 8 but at least they have something to aim for.

You cant expect the players to rock up week in week out knowing its all for nothing. They cant keep aiming up week in week out for fans. Once the SOO is over, their form will start dropping knowing the near is end.

Like most at first i thought it was fair, but now looking at it, it is cruel. Give them a fine, dock them the premierships, dock them the points from the 1st 6 weeks plus a few more points, but let them get on with it then.
How is it too cruel?

They have a team this season thats 700k of the Salary Cap, by saying that, you might as well say that the 'Dogs should've been docked enough points in 2002 that they had to win every one of their remaining games in order to make into 8th position. Giving the Storm a chance to win with a team thats way of the cap is not fair in any respective because they are definitely good enough to win all of their games...We're talking about a team who has barely lost around 4-5 games each season for the past 4 seasons.

We were kicked out in a way that guarantueed us the Wooden Spoon, there was NO way we could've avoided it.

I don't see how the situation is any different apart from the fact that the timing is completely different.

That's like saying in 2002 if we got caught in the early rounds (before our streak started), we should just get docked all those points plus a few more plus a hefty fine? Because if that was the case, we'd make the 8 that year and have a good chance at taking it out given that we finished with only 3 losses...

The punishment is fair

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Punishment isnt harsh enough, Storm should have been kicked out of the comp for the year.

Makes no sense for teams to be playing an illegal team.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
The playing roster is illegal and they have cheated other clubs out of competing for there top line players. Imagine our side in 05 if we were able to find an extra 70 K for Thurston and then keep others that left. the Salary cap as it stands is the only thing keeping the competion going and clubs from going bust.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
How is it too cruel?

They have a team this season thats 700k of the Salary Cap, by saying that, you might as well say that the 'Dogs should've been docked enough points in 2002 that they had to win every one of their remaining games in order to make into 8th position. Giving the Storm a chance to win with a team thats way of the cap is not fair in any respective because they are definitely good enough to win all of their games...We're talking about a team who has barely lost around 4-5 games each season for the past 4 seasons.

We were kicked out in a way that guarantueed us the Wooden Spoon, there was NO way we could've avoided it.

I don't see how the situation is any different apart from the fact that the timing is completely different.

That's like saying in 2002 if we got caught in the early rounds (before our streak started), we should just get docked all those points plus a few more plus a hefty fine? Because if that was the case, we'd make the 8 that year and have a good chance at taking it out given that we finished with only 3 losses...

The punishment is fair
last year they lost 9 games, the year before they lost 7 lol. So i dunno were yo are getting they have barely lost 4-5 games per season from when 2 out of the 4 years they didnt.

When you calculate even the bulldogs back in 2002. If they were docked points in round 7, it would leave a max of 38 points to get. And like i said, dock them a few more game points 4-6 points. That would leave the dogs a possible max of 32 points. The team that finished 8th scored 29 points. We lost 2 games from game 8 till finish. That leaves us 28 points.

Furthermore, losing points could have destroyed the confidence we had also. Most likely would have not come close to the 8.

I just feel their should have been a way to keep the storm in the comp for this year, but at the same time make it unlikely for them to make the 8, even if it mean reducing points, plus having a team under the cap starting from this week, and thats not talking about reducing wages, but from paying out players contracts for the year and telling them bye bye.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I am sick of everybody still rating the Storm as the bench mark
and talking up their culture...... they have only got this reputation by cheating
the cap, giving them an unfair advantage.......

Gould went on about how all these players debuted with the Storm.....
as if they were the only team......

We would have been up there every year if we illegally kept players
that debuted with us.....

SBW, Asotasi, Thurston, Price, Mason, Anasta to name a few, I
am sure even the Drag queens could field a similiar argument.....

Yep....poor Storm players....they didn't know what was going on....
what a load of bullcrap..... signing two contracts should have rung
alarm bells....getting free cars and boats..... come on......

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Actually I am sick of everybody still rating the Storm as the bench mark
and talking up their culture...... they have only got this reputation by cheating
the cap, giving them an unfair advantage.......

Gould went on about how all these players debuted with the Storm.....
as if they were the only team......

We would have been up there every year if we illegally kept players
that debuted with us.....

SBW, Asotasi, Thurston, Price, Mason, Anasta to name a few, I
am sure even the Drag queens could field a similiar argument.....

Yep....poor Storm players....they didn't know what was going on....
what a load of bullcrap..... signing two contracts should have rung
alarm bells....getting free cars and boats..... come on......
to be fair to gould he said all teams should be able to keep the players they developed, few weeks ago he mentioned the dogs also about what the team would have looked like for them if there was no cap.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
After watching news reports, footy shows and other media shows it seem's to me that they are all trying to make excuses for what the storm did and pretty much want everyone to be sympathetic for them.it seems like they are all pro-storm.

Now if i remember right when we got busted for cheating the cap we were given no sympathy and were continually smashed by the media for it and still to this day get abused by people for being "cheats".
the media and rugby league in generally were anti-bulldogs towards us.

it's just getting under my skin as to why they would be doing this for the storm but when it was us we were the scum of rugby league.does anyone else think that that's how it's coming across?? do u feel the same way about it??
Totally agreed. Putting the Bulldogs aside. People need to remember the fact that MELBOURNE WERE, actually they still are, CHEATING FOR FIVE YEARS. Dckheads in the media, like Phil Gould, are only using this situation to push their own agenda(s). Why the fck should Melbourne be able to collect points? Did they magically come under the salary cap over night? They're still playing with an illegal team and brain dead dckheads like Gould need to remember that and stop feeling sorry for CHEATERS. "You forced Melbourne to cheat" give me a fcking break you fat cnt. Remember the other 15 teams who didn't rort the cap by almost 2 million, Gould? Remember them? You have an obsession with one of them.

I don't buy that no players knew they were getting paid extra. I suppose every player in the NRL got cars, boats and 20K gift vouchers when they signed their contract? Bellamy also knew regardless of how many times he, or other people, deny it. Matt Elliot was asked if he knew what his players are on and he replied yes. I'm sure Bellamy knew what his superstars were on too. I'm sure he knew what the best team this past decade was on.

I don't know about anyone else but to pin five years or cheating and rorting on ONE man is so fcking stupid. Are you gonna sit there and tell me that one person, and one person only, rorted, dodged and came up with this entire scheme all by himself? No one else knew. Not one other executive knew? Not one player knew? Coach didn't know? Five years, one genius, who must have worked 24/7 for 5 years did this all by himself? Yep, makes sense to me. That's totally believable.

And Bellamy needs to STFU about this dignity and integrity garbage. You cheated for 5 fcking years, you have no integrity, asswipe.

Even if Melbourne do, somehow, fit under the cap this season they still don't deserve sht. They have been playing with an illegal team for 7 rounds and have screwed other teams out of competition points with their illegal team. Fck Melbourne and fck Gould.

(Note how many time I have justifiably used the word "cheat" and "Illegal", Gould you fat fck?)

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You know what Matsta you have a point mate.

This whole Storm saga is being protrayed as if we should all feel sorry for them. I certainly feel sorry for the players and coach, but the punishment had to be done. It sucks, and I would have preferred another way - but really there was no other option! We've all been robbed of the last 5 years of football thanks to this club. Even this year won't be as real anymore.

Where is the justice in that??

Yet when it happened to the Bulldogs, we were bashed by everyone - including Phil Gould on the Footy Show.

Have a cry Melbourne - you've robbed us of 5 years of real football. If their club sinks, I honestly don't care. NRL has already sunk to a new low anyway.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know what Matsta you have a point mate.

This whole Storm saga is being protrayed as if we should all feel sorry for them. I certainly feel sorry for the players and coach, but the punishment had to be done. It sucks, and I would have preferred another way - but really there was no other option! We've all been robbed of the last 5 years of football thanks to this club. Even this year won't be as real anymore.

Where is the justice in that??

Yet when it happened to the Bulldogs, we were bashed by everyone - including Phil Gould on the Footy Show.

Have a cry Melbourne - you've robbed us of 5 years of real football. If their club sinks, I honestly don't care. NRL has already sunk to a new low anyway.
I have to agree with both of you. It annoys the hell out of me that no-one in the media is calling the Storm cheats. They are venting their spleen on the NRL for taking a favourite side out of the comp in 2010.

There is no doubt that, had we been caught earlier, we would have played for zero points. The NRL could not afford a team that was over the cap making the eight.

The current sympathy for Melbourne will dwindle if sides continue to be beaten by them. Wait and hear what fans have to say when their side is denied a spot in the top eight by a Storm team that is comprised of over the cap cheats. If the Roosters or Parra are knocked out of the eight by year's end, because of losses to the Storm, some of these commentators will start singing a different tune.

No matter how harsh the punishment seems, the NRL put everyone on notice after 2002 that any more breaches of the cap would cop an even tougher penalty. The NRL had no option; and the Storm knew what the stakes were.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
last year they lost 9 games, the year before they lost 7 lol. So i dunno were yo are getting they have barely lost 4-5 games per season from when 2 out of the 4 years they didnt.

When you calculate even the bulldogs back in 2002. If they were docked points in round 7, it would leave a max of 38 points to get. And like i said, dock them a few more game points 4-6 points. That would leave the dogs a possible max of 32 points. The team that finished 8th scored 29 points. We lost 2 games from game 8 till finish. That leaves us 28 points.

Furthermore, losing points could have destroyed the confidence we had also. Most likely would have not come close to the 8.

I just feel their should have been a way to keep the storm in the comp for this year, but at the same time make it unlikely for them to make the 8, even if it mean reducing points, plus having a team under the cap starting from this week, and thats not talking about reducing wages, but from paying out players contracts for the year and telling them bye bye.
Exaggeration tbh, they've been incredibly successful and them making the finals would be something that is very realistically achievable even if they needed to win the majority of their games to scrape into the 8 (With their current squad that is)

In may make you lose confidence or it may make you more hungry for it, you just can't predict what would happen in that situation. The 'Dogs might've completely folded or they might've gone undefeated throughout that entire season, it's not an impossible scenario given that our last loss against Canberra came right after our team was heartbroken.

Problem is, if you want to keep the Storm in the game, sure, they need to put their entire squad under the salary cap before there can be ANY consideration for that. Any points they accrue with their current team should not be given ANY points at all, when and if they get their team under the cap limit, i'm sure we can discuss the Storm having a chance to make a play for the 8.

Under no circumstances should they be even considered lifted from the bottom of the ladder atm, we went over by heaps and paid the price with a wooden spoon, until they fix their team, they should be stuck at the bottom of the ladder.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
to be fair to gould he said all teams should be able to keep the players they developed, few weeks ago he mentioned the dogs also about what the team would have looked like for them if there was no cap.
Some of the best players at the other clubs would probably still be with us now if there was no salary cap..

Although the premiership would just be contested by the Storm, Bulldogs, Broncos and perhaps the Dragons year in year out if that was the case..

We wouldn't just have our stars from 04, but no cap means we could probably afford to buy a lot of other stars

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Im not sure your getting it ...

The difference between us and the storm is that we didnt get caught till the end of season, they got caught at the beginning. Make no mistake, if we got caught at the beginning we would have played for no points as well. Im effect, we copped the same penalty, however it is affecting the players differently as the bulldogs didnt know they were playing for nothing, where as the Storm players do. That doesnt mean they deserve to compete for the title (not with their current illegal team anyway)

I dont like that fact that an illegal Melbourne Storm team can take points off another team... thye should be made to field a side within the cap, and if they do that I have no problem with them acquiring points from then on in.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And another thing..

Can you imagine it were us cheating the cap AGAIN?

How do you think we would be portrayed by the media?? The media would be writing 10 articles a week calling for us to be removed from the NRL because we are "back to our old ways and will never change".

Not just from the media, but from opposition fans and people like Phil Gould.

Status
Not open for further replies.