Opinion What was the most pleasing thing about today's win?

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
The game plan.K.I.S.S.and executed brilliantly.Smart team selection and the faith shown in the players by the coach.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The best thing for me personally is that through the last 20 minutes I had a great feed of fingernails. Won't have to trim them for a month after that. Hopefully our next game isn't a nail-biter. If we're in front next week and rapidly losing the lead I'm not going to enjoy chomping on toenails as much.

I listened to it on the radio, so I only saw highlights afterwards. But the Averillo try reminded me of the Try where Polly slid over the line verse Melbourne at Belmore in our last year when it was our regular home ground.

Really glad that Tolman scored too. He cops way too much flack on here, so I always enjoy seeing him have a moment of joy on the field.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The best thing for me personally is that through the last 20 minutes I had a great feed of fingernails. Won't have to trim them for a month after that. Hopefully our next game isn't a nail-biter. If we're in front next week and rapidly losing the lead I'm not going to enjoy chomping on toenails as much.

I listened to it on the radio, so I only saw highlights afterwards. But the Averillo try reminded me of the Try where Polly slid over the line verse Melbourne at Belmore in our last year when it was our regular home ground.

Really glad that Tolman scored too. He cops way too much flack on here, so I always enjoy seeing him have a moment of joy on the field.
Was that in 98? I remember the driving rain in that game and we needed to win to make the finals.. Then Polly scored that try in a monsoon. So many great memories from that season.. Until the second half of the GF..

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
to see that kalyn ponga is overrated bullshit like hiding him after a shit origin performance

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For me it was Katoa enthusiasm he hit hard for a little bloke got under Klem nose and Klem abused Tolman for it. All the boys had a small snigger. Leading to half time. We need more That in the forwards. Get some Mongrel again. Also was impressed with this RFM he was enthusiastic. Was good to see.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of positives from today's game.

We almost lost to a team that had season ending injuries to both of their hookers.
I disagree. Newcastle are top four, and came in with a side that would beat any team. The fact that they suffered some season ending injuries is not the Dog's fault; and is no different from us losing Foran last week, giving the Dragons their advantage. We were also without Hopoate and Elliott - that's what happens; and nobody gave excuses for the Dogs' losses when we were down on troops.

The Dogs' defence has always been their strong point. What has held us back is our inability to score. Putting 18 unanswered points on a top four side is not something to dismiss. The Knights had seven, six tackle restarts, to our one; and the penalties were three all - though they favoured the Knights 3-1 when we scored our points.
The difference was the pressure the Dogs put on them, forcing errors. Their mistakes were due to the Dogs' defence.

Our attack looked sharper; and a good win will give the side much needed confidence.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
FUCK!!! Onlt saw the first 30 minutes. Had to go and play golf.
Replay tonight hopefully?
I was painting a room in the house, so listened to the ABC radio call. It impressed me how well we were going, by the shock and worry in the voices of the game callers.
Eventually, they had to admit that we were very good, and deserved our win; but kept getting excited every time the Knights had the ball, giving the impression that it was only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. It didn't.

Made my afternoon. Sat down later and listened to Fat Freddy's Drop at good volume, with a single malt to enjoy the moment.

I watched the extended highlights; and will look at the whole game on NRL.com today.

Malla

Reaction score

Oofftt big comparison. What a try that was from Polly.. he slid in 5 metres before the try line from memory... knew that he was going to slide over.

Was the only try of the game I believe? Ah good times.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disagree. Newcastle are top four, and came in with a side that would beat any team. The fact that they suffered some season ending injuries is not the Dog's fault; and is no different from us losing Foran last week, giving the Dragons their advantage. We were also without Hopoate and Elliott - that's what happens; and nobody gave excuses for the Dogs' losses when we were down on troops.

The Dogs' defence has always been their strong point. What has held us back is our inability to score. Putting 18 unanswered points on a top four side is not something to dismiss. The Knights had seven, six tackle restarts, to our one; and the penalties were three all - though they favoured the Knights 3-1 when we scored our points.
The difference was the pressure the Dogs put on them, forcing errors. Their mistakes were due to the Dogs' defence.

Our attack looked sharper; and a good win will give the side much needed confidence.
Well said. The shit thing about the knights injuries is that if they had have gone on to win everyone would have praised their bravery and toughness. Yet because they lost, so many people are blaming those same injuries. All the press stories are about the poor old knights and their injuries. None of them are focusing on the feel good story of a fantastic win by the last placed Bulldogs with almost perfect completions in horrendous weather conditions.

Malla

Reaction score
Most pleasing thing was seeing Tolman dominate Klemmer and Knights forward pack lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The game plan.K.I.S.S.and executed brilliantly.Smart team selection and the faith shown in the players by the coach.
I'll admit I was very confused as to why we had katoa and wakeham on the bench, but Katoa surprised most of us I think. He was busy and in the thick of it. Not sure why Thomson was the one replaced though. Tolman or Napa should have made way with Thomson moving to pprop.But he did well.

Grechy21

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick Meaney will be a class fullback

Foz Lasted the game

Katoa really solid

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was painting a room in the house, so listened to the ABC radio call. It impressed me how well we were going, by the shock and worry in the voices of the game callers.
Eventually, they had to admit that we were very good, and deserved our win; but kept getting excited every time the Knights had the ball, giving the impression that it was only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. It didn't.

Made my afternoon. Sat down later and listened to Fat Freddy's Drop at good volume, with a single malt to enjoy the moment.

I watched the extended highlights; and will look at the whole game on NRL.com today.
Nice mate, sure is good to get a win.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was that in 98? I remember the driving rain in that game and we needed to win to make the finals.. Then Polly scored that try in a monsoon. So many great memories from that season.. Until the second half of the GF..
I'm not great at remembering dates. But it'd probably be around then.

Oofftt big comparison. What a try that was from Polly.. he slid in 5 metres before the try line from memory... knew that he was going to slide over.

Was the only try of the game I believe? Ah good times.
It was the only try in a low scoring game. Think the final scoreline was 8-4. It is a big comparison but it triggered a happy memory of the Try from Polly so

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The flood after the game was a spin out.
The Communist's frustration this morning.
Communism does not represent Newcastle and should stop trying to hide behind the whole town.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Georgallis team management towards the end hooked Lewis we all know what happened last week