News 'What the hell was going on there?': Flanagan hits out at sudden Roosters axing

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
it is easy to believe that a young half who is a FG coach's son would be arrogant but I thought it telling that when it was reported that Flanagan was on the outer with the Roosters, Gallen implored the Sharks to re-sign him... so ego or not, I doubt it is to the level of being disruptive to a squad

I would simply think the Roosters acknowledged that there were some tough decisions to be made following Cronk's retirement with Flanagan recruited and Sam Walker and Lachlan Lam coming up thru the grades and Keary still in his prime (although a little groggy)

Flanagan needs to shut up now though... by questioning his axing by the Roosters, he is bringing on further unnecessary pressure onto himself to prove them wrong... it would be easier to say little and leave the narrative to the likes of Gus Gould, Andrew Johns and Fittler who defended him by noting how long it takes for halves to develop to proven FG performers
I think it's a great thing he is calling out publically how he was treated. It will only fuel him to prove them wrong, also it's a good PR move for him and makes him likeable. Don't forget 15 out of 16 teams' supporters hate the Roosters, he is simply feeding them another reason to hate them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a great thing he is calling out publically how he was treated. It will only fuel him to prove them wrong, also it's a good PR move for him and makes him likeable. Don't forget 15 out of 16 teams' supporters hate the Roosters, he is simply feeding them another reason to hate them.
in 2000, Anthony Mundine told reporters that the Dragons were travelling down to Melbourne for the GF rematch with the Storm acting as the real premiers... they lost 70-10

if you want to talk, do it after you have actually achieved something

there is no guarantee that Flanagan will be a success with us or at all in FG... so, Kyle should knuckle down, work hard, and prove himself BEFORE he talks himself up... and should he do so (which I truly hope he does), then f*+#ing unload on all Bondi

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Shane is his dad and manager of course he is going to be involved with his son. It’s not like it wasn’t known when he signed at the club. It’s hardly a big deal I’m not sure what people think Shane is going to be doing? Waiting at the gates at Belmore each morning with a needle?
Best Post

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he stops talking about this soon

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Arthur Laundy on the weekend, absolute top bloke, spoke to him for a good half hour , he even bought me a beer.. said we arent interested in Crichton we are going hard for Staggs and B.Smith for 22, he has a meeting with Brian Fletcher next week to try and get Burton here this year.. willing to chuck in a little over 100k to get it done (don't know what that means whether it's cap money or what)
Thanks JHeatho9. If we get both B.Smith and Staggs I'll be really happy but I'd be even happier if it were B.Smith and Crichton. From what I've seen I just think Crichton is a better more consistent player with freakish ability / athleticism. Crichton would probably be a little cheaper too (reports Staggs is asking for more than 700K). Crichton might be a possibility at 600-650K. Plus is Staggs wanting to move to Sydney ? With Crichton we already have his ex assistant coach plus his brother with us. There have been reports that we already made an offer to Crichton. I'm unsure if Arthur knows exactly everything Barrett is doing. Arthur said we weren't interested in JAC at one stage but look what happened.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
PS: Guys, let me share this.
I watched the 1967 Canterbury vs Souths GF.
Was on the hill at the SCG.
Yes I was there in 67.........bloody McCarthy did nothing in the rest of the game and we carried slow backs (Clive Gartner, bob Hagan and Greaves weren't speedsters). I started in 66 when the Pom Roger Pearman was captain coach......he was also my geography and PE teacher........Oh those days were a bit different then.........

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Flanagan was treated poorly at the Roosters. His axing after a 4 game winning streak was bizarre. He is an excellent goal kicker which you guys need. The Roosters have no fucking idea who is playing seven this year. FFS they were contemplating Benji Marshall.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Flanagan was treated poorly at the Roosters. His axing after a 4 game winning streak was bizarre. He is an excellent goal kicker which you guys need. The Roosters have no fucking idea who is playing seven this year. FFS they were contemplating Benji Marshall.
I think he eas treated fantasically by the rorters........If they treated him fairly ee wouldnt have him. Their loss our gain. Teach en a lesson Flanno. Sydney sooks.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Roosters wanted him to play like Cronk, he is not Cronk and needs to play like he see's whats in front of him.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters wanted him to play like Cronk, he is not Cronk and needs to play like he see's whats in front of him.
you would have thought the Roosters would have a little more patience with Flanagan as a young half considering just how long Texty Pearce had in the tricolours no. 7 jersey

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I never really watched him play and can't find any highlights on YouTube..... How does he go in attack?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was in the grand stand but the result was still the same for you and I....Bloody Mcarthy
Yes I was there in 67.........bloody McCarthy did nothing in the rest of the game and we carried slow backs (Clive Gartner, bob Hagan and Greaves weren't speedsters). I started in 66 when the Pom Roger Pearman was captain coach......he was also my geography and PE teacher........Oh those days were a bit different then.........
Good on you old farts.
Yes it’s all you need to say: “Bloody McCarthy.”

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Crichton is a bit more consistent than Staggs. If Trent could teach Averillo to tackle and convince Cotric to play wing this backline would be possibly better than the Bunnies or Roosters.

1 Corey Allan
2 JAC
3 Stephen Crichton
4 Jake Averillo
5 Nick Cotric
I do like it, but personally I’d prefer
Allan
JAC
Staggs
Cotric
Okunbor

14. Averillo

I honestly think with correct coaching Okunbor will become that devastating winger with power we need ala the big Fijian types we see. Imagine the pace of JAC one side and Okunbor’s size and power on the other?

I’d love Averillo to work on dummy half play, he’d be lethal around the ruck and also cover 1, 2,5,6.

I think he’s too small to be alone defendi In the centres.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First fact check - Kyle was signed on a 2 year deal not 3. And the reason we only signed him to a 2 year deal was we weren't sure if he would develop faster than our other young halves. He didn't and so he was let go.
Second fact check - His attitude and ego sucks. He put a lot of senior players off side in his time with us and this looking back instead of forward and sooking about being let go appears he's still putting his ego above his focus on what he should be doing for you guys.
Third fact check - We will blow you away in round 17.
Flog check - found one on our site