News 'What the hell was going on there?': Flanagan hits out at sudden Roosters axing

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Superior coach or troublemaker? Or both?
Definitely a superior coach IMHO, which means there is no way to avoid creating "trouble". The act of assistant coaching involves so many things, particularly interaction with players, that will always reveal the better coaching skills. Just something as simple as a "try this" can create "trouble" for the head coach.

At StGeorge one of Gould's recommendations was that McGregor be supported with better quality assistants, keeping in mind that it was against the background of McGregor himself not being included in Gould's review. As a result "trouble" (for McGregor) was unavoidable, no matter who the assistants were.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First fact check - Kyle was signed on a 2 year deal not 3. And the reason we only signed him to a 2 year deal was we weren't sure if he would develop faster than our other young halves. He didn't and so he was let go.
Second fact check - His attitude and ego sucks. He put a lot of senior players off side in his time with us and this looking back instead of forward and sooking about being let go appears he's still putting his ego above his focus on what he should be doing for you guys.
Third fact check - We will blow you away in round 17.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First fact check - Kyle was signed on a 2 year deal not 3. And the reason we only signed him to a 2 year deal was we weren't sure if he would develop faster than our other young halves. He didn't and so he was let go.
Second fact check - His attitude and ego sucks. He put a lot of senior players off side in his time with us and this looking back instead of forward and sooking about being let go appears he's still putting his ego above his focus on what he should be doing for you guys.
LOLLLL Walt Disney couldn't have written a better children's story then what you just did. Well done.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shane is his dad and manager of course he is going to be involved with his son. It’s not like it wasn’t known when he signed at the club. It’s hardly a big deal I’m not sure what people think Shane is going to be doing? Waiting at the gates at Belmore each morning with a needle?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shane is his dad and manager of course he is going to be involved with his son. It’s not like it wasn’t known when he signed at the club. It’s hardly a big deal I’m not sure what people think Shane is going to be doing? Waiting at the gates at Belmore each morning with a needle?
As if he won’t though lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well, we are always up for a good head job, so blow away :grinning:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Arthur Laundy on the weekend, absolute top bloke, spoke to him for a good half hour , he even bought me a beer.. said we arent interested in Crichton we are going hard for Staggs and B.Smith for 22, he has a meeting with Brian Fletcher next week to try and get Burton here this year.. willing to chuck in a little over 100k to get it done (don't know what that means whether it's cap money or what)
Wow what a scoop. Thanks for sharing.
The Burton news sounds very interesting - why would Fletcher waste his time with a meeting if they weren't at least willing to let him go (assuming he knows what the meeting is about). It's all slowly coming together. I'm much more confident about getting Burton early than I am with JAC

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I met Arthur Laundy on the weekend, absolute top bloke, spoke to him for a good half hour , he even bought me a beer.. said we arent interested in Crichton we are going hard for Staggs and B.Smith for 22, he has a meeting with Brian Fletcher next week to try and get Burton here this year.. willing to chuck in a little over 100k to get it done (don't know what that means whether it's cap money or what)
So no Pat Carrigan ?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm much more confident about getting Burton early than I am with JAC
At this stage JAC is a definite no for 2021.
I have a mate who works with one of the Tigers sponsors and he got word that I have no reason to disbelieve that the Tigers are standing firm on the HoA and won’t allow JAC to play anywhere other than the Storm this year. Can’t say it won’t change later in the year but that’s the word right now.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wonder why its Halligan over El Masri as kicking coach ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And here we have a prime example of the Chooks in house spin merchants (Brad Humphry, Chris Bennet, Alex Philips et al) and their external agency having worked their magic. I noticed that recently they used SFX Sports (George Mimis's company), who represent Chooks players/ex-players Cronk, Keary, Taukeiaho and Liu, most likely via Charlotte Arida who worked for the Chooks before moving to SFX. That would be the same Keary who should have copped his fair share of the blame for last season's fade away. Along with Robinson who really farked up big time with overtraining and burning out the team with several rounds to go.

Strangely enough, or perhaps not, Flanagan has never been reported previously or since as having an "ego problem", just at the Chooks. Let's face it every NRL player has an ego, they wouldn't be where they are without it.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Griffin maybe be many things but he's not totally stupid, he recognised the threat a superior coach in Flanagan presents, and removed it.

Go Dogs
Superior Coach..? Nah. One man uses thugs and drugs. The other is actually a Coach.