Opinion What needs to happen to make 2023 our Top 4 year?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listened to the Bloke in a Bar/Guru podcast and Kemp talks straight dribble but one thing Guru was right about is that in terms of building combinations, 2021 was an absolute waste for the Dogs....

We need to make sure this year we don't fuck around whilst also trying to find some consistency for 2023. As an example, if we choose to go with Wakeham at 7 (which is what it is looking like), then there has to be a mutual call that Averillo probably isn't a 7. So find a position so that he can work his way into the 17 for 2023. Play him at FB for all 2022 in NSW Cup and should he perform, he replaces Dufty, etc. Don't play him at 7 in Cup for the sake of it.

Similar with my decisions in the forwards.... with Kikau arriving next year, no point playing TPJ on an edge. Kikau is an upgrade on RFM who I am certain we won't resign.

NRL 2022

1 Dufty
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 whoever but find one and stick with them whether it's Lume/Burns/Ok...
6 Burton
7 Wakeham
8 TPJ
9 JMK
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 RFM
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan
17 I'd go with an upcoming star like Turahui (Ava is a toiler)

NRL 2023

1 Dufty/Averillo (should Averillo perform at FB in Cup)
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 Lume/Burns/Ok
6 Burton
7 Wakeham/BBO (should he develop)
8 TPJ
9 Mahoney
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 Kikau
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan/Player from Cup or Flegg in 2022 who performs and we get value from...
17 Turahui
I doubt we'll re-sign RFM with Kikau coming since RFM is on decent money and injury prone. Kikau and TPJ could form the best backrow in the comp and give us x-factor strike on BOTH edges. Vaughan will likely re-sign and we still have Thompson and Jacko til the end of 2023 unless they move early. I'm hoping Tuifua comes into the picture also at prop plus Hetherington can cover both edge and prop if needed. Ava we also have signed for 2023.

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Paul Alamoti
4 Jake Averillo
5 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 Viliame Kikau
13 Josh Jackson

14 Brandon Wakeham
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Ava
17 Mavoni Tuifua
18 Judda

1 Latrell Mitchell
2 JAC
3 Paul Alamoti
4 Jake Averillo
5 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO
8 Mavoni Tuifua
9 Reed Mahoney
10 TPJ
11 Viliame Kikau
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Jackson Topine

14 Brandon Wakeham
15 Chris Patolo
16 Judda
17 Max King

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s just enjoy this bloody year first. New look team,speed, a new skill set, let’s see what they can do and enjoy some wins, something we are not used to.

I am excited as F*** anyway .!!!!

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Top 4 in 2023 will be based of how we go this year. For me it’s playing consistent week in week out competing in each game even when we loose. I want to see us playing with a positive mindset the full 80 and establishing our attack. Our game management has to improve immensely which it should through Burton and our foward pack. Top 8 in 2022 sets the standard however top 4 is a while different animal and will be reliant on out attitude in defense and will to start strong maintain it and play the full 80.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I doubt we'll re-sign RFM with Kikau coming since RFM is on decent money and injury prone. Kikau and TPJ could form the best backrow in the comp and give us x-factor strike on BOTH edges. Vaughan will likely re-sign and we still have Thompson and Jacko til the end of 2023 unless they move early. I'm hoping Tuifua comes into the picture also at prop plus Hetherington can cover both edge and prop if needed. Ava we also have signed for 2023.

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Paul Alamoti
4 Jake Averillo
5 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 Viliame Kikau
13 Josh Jackson

14 Brandon Wakeham
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Ava
17 Mavoni Tuifua
18 Judda

1 Latrell Mitchell
2 JAC
3 Paul Alamoti
4 Jake Averillo
5 Brent Naden
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO
8 Mavoni Tuifua
9 Reed Mahoney
10 TPJ
11 Viliame Kikau
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Jackson Topine

14 Brandon Wakeham
15 Chris Patolo
16 Judda
17 Max King
Look at the current top 4 contenders spines.

Penrith - Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Korosau
Melbourne - Paps, Munster, Hughes, Grant/Smith
Easts - Teddy, Walker, Keary, ?
Manly - Turbo, Foran, DCE, ?
Parra - Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Mahoney
Souffs - Latrell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook

Bulldogs 2022 - Dufty, Burton, ?, ?
Bulldogs 2023 - ?, Burton, ? , Mahoney

You need a rep quality spine to make the top 4, it also helps to have rep quality forwards and outside backs like the above teams all have as well.

In 2023 we will need a lot to go right for us to even finish 7th-8th.
Biggest factor for me is Burton and if he can take his game another level. Fullback wise there is questions around dufty for sure can’t deny his attacking ability but isn’t well rounded compared to the top tier fullbacks.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeham is only good for being a back up half.
He is not a consistent first grader.
Dufty is a way more dangerous runner of the ball than Averillo.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I listened to the Bloke in a Bar/Guru podcast and Kemp talks straight dribble but one thing Guru was right about is that in terms of building combinations, 2021 was an absolute waste for the Dogs....

We need to make sure this year we don't fuck around whilst also trying to find some consistency for 2023. As an example, if we choose to go with Wakeham at 7 (which is what it is looking like), then there has to be a mutual call that Averillo probably isn't a 7. So find a position so that he can work his way into the 17 for 2023. Play him at FB for all 2022 in NSW Cup and should he perform, he replaces Dufty, etc. Don't play him at 7 in Cup for the sake of it.

Similar with my decisions in the forwards.... with Kikau arriving next year, no point playing TPJ on an edge. Kikau is an upgrade on RFM who I am certain we won't resign.

NRL 2022

1 Dufty
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
6 Burton
7 Wakeham
8 TPJ
9 JMK
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 RFM
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan

NRL 2023

2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 Lume/Burns/Ok
6 Burton
8 TPJ
9 Mahoney
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 Kikau
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan/Player from Cup or Flegg in 2022 who performs and we get value from...
17 Turahui
it is looking likely that Wakeham will be the 7. My only problem with that selection as I have raised before, is that Averillo or Flanagan has to be in the side somewhere in order to have a high percentage of 4 pointers converted in to 6. As yet we don’t know if Burton is an accomplished goal kicker.

thus if Wakeham is in the side a spot has to be found for Averillo. Best option is the centres if we can improve his defence, which is often the most important facet of being a centre, who has to be able to read decoys and block runners every set of six.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just replicate what gets us in the top 4 in 2022

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
you can’t just pick and stick if we are not performing in the field.
Flanagan got a long enough chance to prove he deserved to stay in first grade and kept failing.
Got back in and failed again, his sacking was deserved and the right call by baz.

injuries and suspensions didn’t help us either
Yeah how long did Des pick and stick with TREX? Eventually you get to a point where it is not working, and Einstein’s famous saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result” comes to mind.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

NRL 2022

1 Dufty
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
6 Burton
7 Wakeham
8 TPJ
9 JMK
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 RFM
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan

NRL 2023

2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 Lume/Burns/Ok
6 Burton
8 TPJ
9 Mahoney
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 Kikau
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
17 Turahui
do you guys realise just because Wakehams name was mentioned first in the interview doesn’t mean he’s front runner for the halfback jersey? Averillo has been training as the first grade halfback all off season. And Turahui literally can’t play first grade for the start of this year, he’s not in the top 30. TPJ has also confirmed he’ll be playing on an edge. Absolute bang average thread

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
let's worry about 2022 first
alot can happen between now and March 2023

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's been plenty of times when clubs go through rebuilds smaller than we have and take huge strides forward.

Our backline has levels of quality we haven't had in a good 3 or more years. Our halves should benefit from acquiring a great running 6 with a huge kicking game. We acquired a pair of forwards that probably both jump straight into the run on side. And if luck/good management are with us Cook might get some luck and stay injury free potentially adding quality and depth at 9.

I'm not ready to buy a ticket to the grand final yet, but I know that the potential for a huge turnaround in form is there for this year even before Kikau and Mahoney join next year. I'm not going to expect too much, but I have genuine hope that we'll see finals football this year.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree about Ava...... Never going to be the best forward going but does his job and gives it his best.... All of our great sides have had a few players that were not super stars but gave there all... relf,stone, ward, Reardon, Grimaldi etc...... Players that are value for money..... Not saying Ava will be better than whoever but deserves his opportunity.....
I agree. He's a bigish body who gives a decent 20-30 mins for now at a cheap price. His sideways movement in defence and the effort he puts into tackles is better than anything Renouf, Ogden or RFM have ever dished up. Like all the players you mentioned, we always need a few like Ava - Mitch Newton was another one.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look at the current top 4 contenders spines.

Penrith - Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Korosau
Melbourne - Paps, Munster, Hughes, Grant/Smith
Easts - Teddy, Walker, Keary, ?
Manly - Turbo, Foran, DCE, ?
Parra - Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Mahoney
Souffs - Latrell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook

Bulldogs 2022 - Dufty, Burton, ?, ?
Bulldogs 2023 - ?, Burton, ? , Mahoney

You need a rep quality spine to make the top 4, it also helps to have rep quality forwards and outside backs like the above teams all have as well.

In 2023 we will need a lot to go right for us to even finish 7th-8th.
Broncos 7. Reynolds..........

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Letting 2022 play out first before thinking about 2023 would be a great start

Reactions: ATT