Opinion What needs to happen to make 2023 our Top 4 year?

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I listened to the Bloke in a Bar/Guru podcast and Kemp talks straight dribble but one thing Guru was right about is that in terms of building combinations, 2021 was an absolute waste for the Dogs....

We need to make sure this year we don't fuck around whilst also trying to find some consistency for 2023. As an example, if we choose to go with Wakeham at 7 (which is what it is looking like), then there has to be a mutual call that Averillo probably isn't a 7. So find a position so that he can work his way into the 17 for 2023. Play him at FB for all 2022 in NSW Cup and should he perform, he replaces Dufty, etc. Don't play him at 7 in Cup for the sake of it.

Similar with my decisions in the forwards.... with Kikau arriving next year, no point playing TPJ on an edge. Kikau is an upgrade on RFM who I am certain we won't resign.

NRL 2022

1 Dufty
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 whoever but find one and stick with them whether it's Lume/Burns/Ok...
6 Burton
7 Wakeham
8 TPJ
9 JMK
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 RFM
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan
17 I'd go with an upcoming star like Turahui (Ava is a toiler)

NRL 2023

1 Dufty/Averillo (should Averillo perform at FB in Cup)
2 JAC
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 Lume/Burns/Ok
6 Burton
7 Wakeham/BBO (should he develop)
8 TPJ
9 Mahoney
10 Thompson
11 Hetherington
12 Kikau
13 Jacko

14 BBO
15 Patolo
16 Vaughan/Player from Cup or Flegg in 2022 who performs and we get value from...
17 Turahui

Reactions: ATT

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
5 or 6 of the top teams would have to be kicked out of the comp lol

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look at the current top 4 contenders spines.

Penrith - Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Korosau
Melbourne - Paps, Munster, Hughes, Grant/Smith
Easts - Teddy, Walker, Keary, ?
Manly - Turbo, Foran, DCE, ?
Parra - Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Mahoney
Souffs - Latrell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook

Bulldogs 2022 - Dufty, Burton, ?, ?
Bulldogs 2023 - ?, Burton, ? , Mahoney

You need a rep quality spine to make the top 4, it also helps to have rep quality forwards and outside backs like the above teams all have as well.

In 2023 we will need a lot to go right for us to even finish 7th-8th.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If I was picking my 2023 team now I'd go

1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Schoupp
5. Naden
6. Burton
7. BBO
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. Doorey
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Hetherington
16. Patolo
17. Topine

There's still a year to go and too many factors at play to know now tho of course (e.g. Dufty and Vaughan's form, where our salary caps at, etc.)

I'd just be happy for the top 8 in 2023 considering where we're coming from (obviously expectations change on the fly depending on what we see/how we perform)

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the hell are we going to know what’s going to happen in 23 to many scenarios there could be a lot of players that u named up there that possibly won’t be there come 23 esp Thompson

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I was picking my 2023 team now I'd go

1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Schoupp
5. Naden
6. Burton
7. BBO
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. Doorey
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Hetherington
16. Patolo
17. Topine

There's still a year to go and too many factors at play to know now tho of course (e.g. Dufty and Vaughan's form, where our salary caps at, etc.)

I'd just be happy for the top 8 in 2023 considering where we're coming from (obviously expectations change on the fly depending on what we see/how we perform)
Pretty much agree except idk about Doorey am not convinced about him and post reco who knows, so assuming Jack goes well this year swap those two.
JMK maybe gets a bench spot or Cook if he comes on this year.
As you said queries on Dufty and Vaughan maybe the latter or even both stay another year too early to call..Vaughan would go if offered 2 years elsewhere I guess.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much agree except idk about Doorey am not convinced about him and post reco who knows, so assuming Jack goes well this year swap those two.
As you said queries on Dufty and Vaughan maybe the latter or even both stay another year too early to call..Vaughan would go if offered 2 years elsewhere I guess.
you can’t just pick and stick if we are not performing in the field.
Flanagan got a long enough chance to prove he deserved to stay in first grade and kept failing.
Got back in and failed again, his sacking was deserved and the right call by baz.

injuries and suspensions didn’t help us either

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
you can’t just pick and stick if we are not performing in the field.
Flanagan got a long enough chance to prove he deserved to stay in first grade and kept failing.
Got back in and failed again, his sacking was deserved and the right call by baz.

injuries and suspensions didn’t help us either
I think Flanagan was dropped too soon personally. Same with Allan at fullback (I still think they're both bad and we have better options now, but both wasted signings on decent $). Last year was always going to be a nothing season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Dolphins are going to get more and more desperate for players in 2023. I think the likes of Dufty and Vaughan who are on low ball 1 year deals will come into their cross hairs.

Even if they play well we won’t have the cash to up their deals. I think every club with players contracts up this year will be in similar boats. The Dolphins haven’t got a marquee signing so they are going to load up on the next tier players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think the Dolphins are going to get more and more desperate for players in 2023. I think the likes of Dufty and Vaughan who are on low ball 1 year deals will come into their cross hairs.

Even if they play well we won’t have the cash to up their deals. I think every club with players contracts up this year will be in similar boats. The Dolphins haven’t got a marquee signing so they are going to load up on the next tier players.
I think Dolphins should be signing players like Wakeham, Doorey and Topine.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Disagree about Ava...... Never going to be the best forward going but does his job and gives it his best.... All of our great sides have had a few players that were not super stars but gave there all... relf,stone, ward, Reardon, Grimaldi etc...... Players that are value for money..... Not saying Ava will be better than whoever but deserves his opportunity.....

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Things need to start falling into place this year