What is the first game you can remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys

i was just wondering wat are the games you first remember watching/attending.

i remember my first game was the 1995 g/f watched it on t.v and was hooked. was about 7-8 at the time. it was my first doggies final (obviously wouldnt remember 1988 as i was like 1)

i think my first game was 1996 vs manly at belmore

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
first bulldogs game i ever watched was in 1994 against canberra i wasnt in to it much but i remember we won by a field goal....

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think in 1993 we beat parra at parra stadium and i was there.. all i remember from that day was my dad wouldn't buy me icecream on the way out because he was pissed off that we had won. :D (he follows parra)

The Entertainers

AKA Brad
Reaction score
The first game I went to was against Gold Coast Seagulls I think we flogged them wif Terry Lamb scoring 3 trys

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember being at games in the 1950s with my father, but I was too young to remember anything more than seeing players on the field, hearing the crowd and eating ice cream, which was sold out of canvas bags full of dry ice.

Had a break of a few years to play Aussie Rules, then came back in 1966 to watch the Berries play Norths at Belmore Oval (when it was still a circular ground). This is the first game I really remember. I was hooked from then on.

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't be sure of the first TV game I saw, but it would have been some time in 1972.

First game I saw was in 1974, the Wests versus Easts Final. Actually to be more precise, it was the last 20 minutes or so of the reserve grade Final (Canterbury were one team, but I can't recall their opponenets).

My first first grade Canterbury (BERRIES!) match I attended was in 1975 at Belmore agaist Cronulla (Canterbury lost).

My first first grade Canterbury (BULLDOGS!) match I attended was in 1977 at Belmore also agaist Cronulla (which Canterbury also lost).

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
in 91 when we played west i think at belmore on friday night football... belmore was very packed that nite and we ended up smashing west thanx to some terry lamb and craig polla mounter magic brilliance with the final score of 54-12

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
Can't be sure of the first TV game I saw, but it would have been some time in 1972.

First game I saw was in 1974, the Wests versus Easts Final. Actually to be more precise, it was the last 20 minutes or so of the reserve grade Final (Canterbury were one team, but I can't recall their opponenets).

My first first grade Canterbury (BERRIES!) match I attended was in 1975 at Belmore agaist Cronulla (Canterbury lost).

My first first grade Canterbury (BULLDOGS!) match I attended was in 1977 at Belmore also agaist Cronulla (which Canterbury also lost).
than i suppose you shold stop attending those cronulla games :p

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
One game I'll never forget was a pre-season game just after the new Belmore Sports Ground opened. It was abandoned halfway through because of a massive thunderstorm dumping so much rain on the ground that no-one could see the match. It was raining so hard that it actually hurt when it hit your face. Got back to the car in Reginald Ave. to find it half under water, and it filled up to seat level when we opened the doors.

Don't remember the score.

Prodigal Son

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ozman said:
than i suppose you shold stop attending those cronulla games :p
Not all Cronulla games were bad!!!!

In particular I recall the 1991 game at Belmore (last match of regular season which Canterbury had to win to make a 5th place playoff with Wests). Canterbury were down 16-0 and trailled 16-6 at half-time, but a barnstorming finish in the last 20 minutes saw Canterbury win 26-16. There was a great individual try created from nothing by the "Welsh Wizard" Jonathan Davies.

To be sure, the 1998 semi-final win against Parra was a greater comeback, but that 26-16 win against Cronulla IMHO ranks up there among the club's greatest ever wins!

Rammo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Canterbury beating Illawarra in about Round 15 in 1994.

Timyone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
my first game i remember is bulldogs ves canbera in 94 (same as some jimmy the greek i think)
we won it, then lost to them in the finals a fiew games later in the grand final?!
i was at the game i think thats why i remember it

bobnbo

Waterboy
Reaction score
I was a local lad playing jnr rugby league 4 stgeorge jnrs (jumper same as easts) I remember watching Berries V Easts. The great Les Johns catching the ball on his own 1/4 line dummying , turning & making 3 easts players look rather stupid as he made 40 yrds.That particular game was one of many that made me a real berries- dog supporter.

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1995 GF. I was 4, in the waiting room of Wollongong hospital with my cousin whilst my mum was having my first sibling :D .

The match that turned me into a league & dogs follower.

Christabella

Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
Not all Cronulla games were bad!!!!

In particular I recall the 1991 game at Belmore (last match of regular season which Canterbury had to win to make a 5th place playoff with Wests). Canterbury were down 16-0 and trailled 16-6 at half-time, but a barnstorming finish in the last 20 minutes saw Canterbury win 26-16. There was a great individual try created from nothing by the "Welsh Wizard" Jonathan Davies.

To be sure, the 1998 semi-final win against Parra was a greater comeback, but that 26-16 win against Cronulla IMHO ranks up there among the club's greatest ever wins!
That's about the first game I can really remember, I have snippets of memories before that of standing on the hill ... or more accurately sliding down the far side on broken carboard boxes ... I can remember my dad telling me about this player and that player as we watched the games. He was probably doing that ever since March 1983 when I watched my first ever game but it wasn't until I was 8 in 91 that I remember being aware that the season was on the line and then pleading with my dad to take me to the play off against Wests.

Also I remember that in 1990 we were asked by the teacher to write a recount of something and I chose my day at the footy but I can't exactly remember who played or what the score was, all I remember was that we won ... if we hadn't I doubt I would have written about it.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Timyone said:
my first game i remember is bulldogs ves canbera in 94 (same as some jimmy the greek i think)
we won it, then lost to them in the finals a fiew games later in the grand final?!
i was at the game i think thats why i remember it
wasnt that an easter monday game at an overpacked belmore sports ground and we beat them 17-12?

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first memory of a dogs game was in 85 when we won the GF.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

my first game was at lidcombe oval in 1978 manly and wests there was two all in brawls it was awesome.

Pup_Ingham

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
my first memory wwas the 1998 grand final between bulldogs and broncos i ws like 6 and that was when i starting likeing the doggies

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
first game i remember watching was in 88...

kept watching the boys through the hole season and winning the grand final

was 7 years old at the time.... never turned back since

Status
Not open for further replies.