What is our ideal bench combination?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly my point.. When was the last time somebody said they would love Kaufusi in their team or even praised the guy after a game. Considering he is one of the first picked in any team you would think his name would be belted out as much as Kikau's.
Because he’s a dirty dog

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bench players have to;
1. Swing the game back in our favour if opposition is on top.
2. Bring renewed energy to the team
3. Maintain the rage if we are rocking

Averilo, ogden & Hetherington fit that bill. Atoni should fit that bill but needs to be hungrier. they would be my bench with our current squad.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that we need two props and a second rower on the bench. The other spot needs to be filled by a person who can tackle, can fill in, in the halves, hooker, or back row. Do we have a better candidate than Lachlan Lewis? I know people will guffaw and carry on like good sorts at that suggestion but have a think of the alternatives.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the makenup of your bench is very much dictated by the strength and weaknesses of your starting 13. Having props that can play long minutes provides a lot more freedom in regards to selection of your bench. Lock as well. We have Thompson and Jackson who can both play long minutes if need be, and a few backline players who can cover different positions. So i think Baz has quite a few options for his bench.
I actually liked Katoa coming off the bench this year, playing lock or hooker, dependimg what was needed.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the makenup of your bench is very much dictated by the strength and weaknesses of your starting 13. Having props that can play long minutes provides a lot more freedom in regards to selection of your bench. Lock as well. We have Thompson and Jackson who can both play long minutes if need be, and a few backline players who can cover different positions. So i think Baz has quite a few options for his bench.
I actually liked Katoa coming off the bench this year, playing lock or hooker, dependimg what was needed.
With the limited interchanges having players who are able to play long minutes would be a big plus for the team, that's why I would like the idea of playing RFM and Thompson (when he returns) playing on the edges, by my observation they can both play the full 80, which would allow a better rotation of our middles.
BTW seeing that there is not much support for trying JJ at 9, I'd be happy with Katoa starting, but bring JMK on later in the game when the opposition players are tiring.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With an entirely new coaching staff here plenty of players may be capable of altering their games and showing a lot of improvement. It's anyone's guess about the forwards that make the bench. We all rate them differently and on different criteria. I won't guess what three forwards will be picked. Preseason effort and displayed ability will hopefully be more useful as Barrett's selection criteria than reputation or favouritism.

I'd really like someone that's a capable utility on the bench. My picks of utilities are below.

If JMK wasn't my pick as starting hooker I'd probably have him as the bench utility. He'd cover half, hooker and has enough pace to move to the centres if required. Between DWZ, Hoppa and Meaney we could shuffle to fill fullback and the wings.

Katoa has shown he can play as an edge forward/lock. Potentially useful if we're facing an opposition with a strong pack where fatigue might play a part. But ideally we'll get 80 minutes out of JMK, so a second hooker isn't ideal as an interchange.

Averillo could potentially cover halves and the backline. But I suspect he'll win a starting spot somewhere.

Otherwise we have quite a few forwards that could move between a few positions in the pack.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
At this stage I'd have Topine as my 14

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that we need two props and a second rower on the bench. The other spot needs to be filled by a person who can tackle, can fill in, in the halves, hooker, or back row. Do we have a better candidate than Lachlan Lewis? I know people will guffaw and carry on like good sorts at that suggestion but have a think of the alternatives.
GUFFAW

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For me Napa,is just way to big,he’s slow play the balls are just not part of the modern game,really if not for the fact he’s on such big money,I wouldn’t even have him in the top 17,I would definitely have Stimson and Elliot on the bench,with renouf and ofahiki,Stimson played a few backline positions at the storm,and for me a better option than Napa
I think the game has evolved passed Napa and his aggression, once his biggest strength, is non-existent.

I’d be asking him if he’s keen on a stint in the UK, he’d go ok over there and maybe give him back that edge he lost over the years.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it depends on the make up of the team and what minutes each player plays. there is no set bench so to speak.
Middles can consist these days of various combinations, not just 2 props.
it is advantageous to have a forward who can cover a backline position.
Yep just like she rex remember him...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he was Guffawing at your suggestion
Can you nominate a player for 14 that can cover most positions in the team?
I suggested Rennie or Wakeham, maybe anyone, to replace Hopoate. Nothing silly about that.

Last edited:

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I like Chris Smith,
I haven't seen Stimson play at all really?
Does Stimson play a similar game to Chris Smith?
They have similar builds..
Yeah I like him too. He brings a lot of energy in he’s carries. I expect them both to start well. Lots of competition within the forwards this year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think he was Guffawing at your suggestion
I thought the best response was completely ignoring it lol...but unfortunately someone sneezed with a guffaw ;)

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t think Lewis should be in first grade at all. He should be playing 5/8 in reserve grade and if our halves and then our back up halves go down then he should slot into the number 6.
Nothing else

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel like the utility on the bench has become an essential player after the rule changes last year. I think it was the blues mistake not having a good utility and the reason they lost the 3rd game when Tedesco went down injured. Also hate to say it but someone like mbye was the perfect utility since he could competently play a number of positions without excelling at any, he was way over paid though obviously for that. Maybe Averillo could fill that role for a couple of years if Ado car makes it at fullback?

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can you nominate a player for 14 that can cover most positions in the team?
I suggested Rennie or Wakeham, maybe anyone, to replace Hopoate. Nothing silly about that.
Smith