What if we have another bad start to the season?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There’s only a certain time frame for this to be a legitimate reason. If the board say at the next election we are sticking with Pay because we can’t find anyone better even though we haven’t made the finals in 5 years that’s not going to stick. If you have the right people at the top they can get coaches even when they are contracted.
I can't see it playing out that long either way.
Next election is Feb 2022 as you know - so either Dean is re-signed this year for 1-3 years (1 year to give him a crack at no cap restriction, longer if he's earned it) or he's replaced for 2021.
Either way, I suggest we'll know the outcome before half way through this coming season.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s a results based business but whether Pay stays on or not will depend on a few things for mine. Improvements in our attacking structure, whether players are developing under his watch (ie not going backwards) and his ability to pick the team with the right balance.

If he ticks those boxes and we still can’t make the 8 because of an obvious lack of quality/depth in key positions so be it. But that shouldn’t be too much to ask of him. We’ve recruited pretty poorly imo so you can’t put that all on him but he still has a job to do. He’s getting paid a lot of money to coach this team and he’s been with the squad long enough now where there shouldn’t be any excuses.

I also think saying we shouldn’t let him go because there are no decent replacements a cop out and inviting mediocrity. You can’t tell me there aren’t young coaches out there chomping at the bit for a chance to coach.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a results based business but whether Pay stays on or not will depend on a few things for mine. Improvements in our attacking structure, whether players are developing under his watch (ie not going backwards) and his ability to pick the team with the right balance.

If he ticks those boxes and we still can’t make the 8 because of an obvious lack of quality/depth in key positions so be it. But that shouldn’t be too much to ask of him. We’ve recruited pretty poorly imo so you can’t put that all on him but he still has a job to do. He’s getting paid a lot of money to coach this team and he’s been with the squad long enough now where there shouldn’t be any excuses.

I also think saying we shouldn’t let him go because there are no decent replacements a cop out and inviting mediocrity. You can’t tell me there aren’t young coaches out there chomping at the bit for a chance to coach.
Developing players, Meaney has come on in leaps and bounds, Britt (albeit early days) is playing better than we saw at the Wabbits, RFM and To’omaga are maturing nicely, DWZ is playing better than he has for years (proof of motivating players and giving them an atmosphere where they can excel), Okunbor (again early in the season) but he looks far better than previously, Ogden looks fitter and is playing harder, as does Napa, CHN another example of getting the best out of a player with a bit of cold hard truth, Harper, Wakeham etc etc. To me he has proven that he can motivate and develop players.

The last 10 games last season provided proof of appropriate team selections, no revolution required this year just evolution as the players develop. Every professional commentator has decided that we aren’t contenders based on the quality of our roster. That’s the coach’s ultimate test, achieving more with less and exceeding the experts’ expectations.

To me there is simply the requirement to win the games that we should win, not to lose the games that we shouldn’t lose and to win some games that we shouldn’t win.

Go Dogs

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just a bit tired of the seemingly endless number of posts along the lines of "if he doesn't win X games he will be replaced", when the fact is there isn't anyone available that is proven to be better. Whilst there are whole lot of those proven to be worse. So it's nothing more than a waste of keystrokes.

Go Dogs
Your optimism can get rather dull... Just sayin

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Des left, year on year we have fielded a better squad. I think Stimpson & Britt are good buys for 2020 as was CHN & DWZ for 2019. Whilst I am not a massive fan of Katoa he is an improvement on Lichaa & our juniors blooded in the last couple of years should cope with the grind of a NRl season better. I think strategically we will revert to more of the forward short passing game like we used to back in the day versus our halves controlling every attacking play as we have bought forwards with footwork at the line and offload capability. That will take some pressure off Cogger & Lewis who are fill ins until we find the next "messiah junior" or sign a marquee half that isn't a cripple. I still think

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just a bit tired of the seemingly endless number of posts along the lines of "if he doesn't win X games he will be replaced", when the fact is there isn't anyone available that is proven to be better. Whilst there are whole lot of those proven to be worse. So it's nothing more than a waste of keystrokes.

Go Dogs

100% mate

Dean is doing all he can with what he was given... The players showed us at the end of last year that they back him so as fans we need to do the same

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your optimism can get rather dull... Just sayin
I see the opposite side of that. The continued pessimism of some posters drives me nuts. If you can't hold out some hope for the immediate future there's no need to try pushing others into a vortex of gloom. I can see plenty of other things in life that are more valid excuses to be depressed about. Hoping that my team succeeds and choosing to find the positives is therapeutic.

The coach and the players are all in a position where their efforts will ultimately decide whether they have a future with us. If they succumb to the pessimistic outlook we're doomed. The current attitude among the club seems to be pretty positive and that's not a bad thing.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Go Dogs
2 years in a row Pay has proven that he tinkers and picks the wrong team for the first half of the season ruining any chance of at least being competitive for 8.

If Pay has not grown as a coach and makes the same mistakes 3 years in a row.... He must go, no excuses, no bullshit PR spin...

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 years in a row Pay has proven that he tinkers and picks the wrong team for the first half of the season ruining any chance of at least being competitive for 8.

If Pay has not grown as a coach and makes the same mistakes 3 years in a row.... He must go, no excuses, no bullshit PR spin...
100% this.

Calibra

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Curious to see if our attack, which improved very much so towards the end of last season can start this way, a lot of work to do but for the most part when we spread we made good meters

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If midway through the season we are 14 or below, Pay goes. I don't care if we get fucking Toovey