What if we have another bad start to the season?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a genuine question, What do we say happens if we have another slow start to the first half of the season just like previous? Will we finally bite the bullet? I look forward to hearing your opinions on this

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we do we do, it is what it is..!! But I really can’t see this happening, but if so as asked then I guess we start exploring other options, that’s the logical an only way to go.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bite the bullet on what?
The coach? Who would he be replaced with? (Flanagan is not an option).
We are keeping one roster spot open for a possible mid-season signing just like last year - but unlikely anyone leaves mid-season (though possible).
This is the final year of cap pain - there are still restrictions with what we can do with the roster, so we have to make the most of the squad we've got (don't forget ~10% of the cap is sitting on the sideline).
They're young, they're relatively inexperienced - but if they believe in themselves anything is possible as we showed at the back-end of last year.
I'd suggest to keep expectations in check for this year, but it does not mean the panic button has to be pushed.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It depends on how bad the start is and how the team performs. If they are bottom of the table and out of contention mid way through the year I can’t see how they could re-sign Pay.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sack pay and we blame it on not having Foran, resign him on reduced deal

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is seriously the last thing I want to think about so close to kick off
I’m more than confident that our young team will aim up this year and earn their keep
I have my season passes in hand so all good for some action
Go Dogs

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
The buck stops where?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling with Chris Smith and Forans injuries the board will use this as an excuse to give Dean Pay another year unfortunately!!

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not only pay that's under the hammer,there's half of the 1st grade side of contract,at years end,so y don't we just get behind our team,instead of if this,and if that

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not only pay that's under the hammer,there's half of the 1st grade side of contract,at years end,so y don't we just get behind our team,instead of if this,and if that
Nice sentiment,but our team is not feeling the love because all they hear is that the club has massive dollars to spend next year and can buy a premiership.Tell me how that is meant to build confidence and unity.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Some may not like the question but it is very real. For me the Boards plan was always to give Dean until this year to make a decision on his future. I remember commentators commenting on it at the time he was resigned and what appeared to be a weird extension time frame. I want Dean to succeed, he was a favourite player of mine, I have met him and by every account out there seems to be a great human. That aside how much rope do you give? Yes I know this is not fully his team yet but there's the quandary. Do you throw him the keys to the full salary cap or make a decision before that? If you do throw them and he wastes the cap and fails coaching then we are looking at another 3 plus years to recover again. HOw much rope has he earnt? Has he done his bit already and they want someone else to take it from here?

I think he has 10 games this season and the Club will make the call. Pass mark would have to be around 6 wins from 10.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It depends on how bad the start is and how the team performs. If they are bottom of the table and out of contention mid way through the year I can’t see how they could re-sign Pay.
I don’t disagree but who? Caretaker for the rest of 2020 but who for 2021?
Which established coach is likely to be available? Are we waiting for another round of coaching musical chairs? Blood another rookie coach? There doesn’t appear to be many obvious options.

Last edited:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a genuine question, What do we say happens if we have another slow start to the first half of the season just like previous? Will we finally bite the bullet? I look forward to hearing your opinions on this
the foran and mighty chris smith injuries will be trotted out followed by something to do with the previous board which will then be followed by comments of rebuilding and bulldogs dna

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No excuses this year... We have a squad to do well.. obviously available players has a big say in it..

If he selections aren't up to scratch and results match, I'll be calling for his head early..

Persistence with underperforming players is something I'll be very interested in and how it is handled..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which established coach is likely to be available? Are we waiting for another round or coaching musical chairs? Blood another rookie coach? There doesn’t appear to be many obvious options.
It’s a interesting question. There really isn’t a stand out candidate but I don’t think there’s any other option if we are done mid season. Thats the absolute worst case scenario and as long as we aren’t in that position I think they’ll re-sign Pay.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
#SackPay #LosermentalityNOMORE

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which established coach is likely to be available? Are we waiting for another round or coaching musical chairs? Blood another rookie coach? There doesn’t appear to be many obvious options.
Is more about the support staff that u sign, a rookie coach like Pay took any carrot and was cheap and was signed with a support staff that the board wanted not the coach.If he had good results the board look like genuises? and saved serious $$$. The team has massive problems with the support staff and the board not acknowledging? that problem. Everybody is waiting for 2021 when the club has “unlimited” funds to buy whoever we want.Good luck...Go Dogs...