What happens to tolman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
8 pages dedicated to Tolmanator, is it possible to close the thread on the 4th or 5th as tribute to the great man!

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree with you. E18 says Tolman has no mobility and promotes Fualolo. I think Fualolo is a very promising prop, but he has less mobility than Tolman.
I want to change Tolmans name to Toilman. He will make a great lock.
Jackson and RFM should be our long term edge 2nd rowers. I also think they both can be great locks. BASED ON OUR ROSTER id like to see them both stay on the edge long term.

So therefore again based on our roster I think our next best option is Danny F at lock at least he has leg drive and post contact metres etc. Just give him a chance to play big minutes Tolman has had his chance and failed so give someone else a go. Lets see how Danny F goes at lock eg Nathan Brown limited mintues 1 year big mintues the next and kills it. Im hoping Danny F can do the same. If he fails at lock move him back to the bench in 2019 and we go shopping for a lock. While Jackson and RFM stay on the edge long term.

If Danny F falis at lock then in 2019 depends on who is available id go hard after De Belin, nathan brown, TKO, joe tapine just to name a few.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman wont be starting on the bench next year (as of Thursday). Thats from a source who is with Pay every week. I'll PM Mr.I with the source.

So where do you put him. It's either 8 or 13. Fullstop.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman wont be starting on the bench next year (as of Thursday). Thats from a source who is with Pay every week. I'll PM Mr.I with the source.

So where do you put him. It's either 8 or 13. Fullstop.
There were only ever two options he had to start or we cut our losses and just release him.

He's not a bench player.

I'm still sticking to my guns and saying we should have just copped the hit in the salary cap and released him

We'll do better than last season regardless but that's only because the cancer is gone. But we'd do a far lot better if tolman wasn't even in the squad

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so everyones agruement for Tolman is his not a bench player. Therefore what your saying is his not good enough for the bench as he provides no impact people say.

So if his not good enough for the bench and provides no impact. Then how the for the love of god is he going to do that as a starting player.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing is certain, a large number of people will give another large number of people an "I told you so" no matter which way it goes, while a similar number of people will invent reasons to defend their position for getting it wrong. For mine, I get the sense he is not only starting but will be at least the co-captain. He clearly has the respect of his team mates and the board. I base that on their collective happiness to let him represent each of their interests publicly. In terms of on field performance I expect him to have a somewhat different role next season and most likely as lock although he could be in the second row as well. I expect he will go hard for 20 or so, come off (JMoz to lead) and then come back on in the back half of the game. I think he will play a very different game to the past 5 years. He was after all rookie of the year at the Storm and played in the second row as well. He's just turned 29 so his legs are still good and a bit of sprint training will improve his speed. He hasn't had to worry about that with des' strategy of using him as a hit up merchant.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing is certain, a large number of people will give another large number of people an "I told you so" no matter which way it goes,
In fairness I've been saying "told you so" about tolman for the past 4 seasons but people keep on making excuses for him

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
One thing is certain, a large number of people will give another large number of people an "I told you so" no matter which way it goes, while a similar number of people will invent reasons to defend their position for getting it wrong. For mine, I get the sense he is not only starting but will be at least the co-captain. He clearly has the respect of his team mates and the board. I base that on their collective happiness to let him represent each of their interests publicly. In terms of on field performance I expect him to have a somewhat different role next season and most likely as lock although he could be in the second row as well. I expect he will go hard for 20 or so, come off (JMoz to lead) and then come back on in the back half of the game. I think he will play a very different game to the past 5 years. He was after all rookie of the year at the Storm and played in the second row as well. He's just turned 29 so his legs are still good and a bit of sprint training will improve his speed. He hasn't had to worry about that with des' strategy of using him as a hit up merchant.
There is absolutely 0 chance Tolman will be playing on an edge, that's just straight up crazy.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You see, this i agree with. He probably wont be getting the same minutes as he did under des as im sure that pay has a very different gameplan. It is also possible pay will ask him to bulk up a little in the offseason, and its also possible he could add an offload to his game, he does pass well behind the line, so its possible.
Our whole forward rotation and style of play will be dramatically different next year. Im sure most of us will agree on this, so i just dont get why so many people have no confidence that tolman is capable of changing it up.
I agree tolman will never be taumololo or tapau or anything like this type of player, but it is possible that he can sacrifice some of his game time and durability in exchange for a bit more impact.
This being said, i cant see him being a bench player. And this is why i think he will play lock.
So basically "he won't get benched so he will play lock"? It's a soft call imo. Bennett demoted Thaiday a SOO rep at the time to the bench for the good of the team.

Either way, i think we can agree that Tolman as he is right now probably won't be a very good lock. It all depends on him adding to his game and physically being more of a presence on the field.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically "he won't get benched so he will play lock"? It's a soft call imo. Bennett demoted Thaiday a SOO rep at the time to the bench for the good of the team.

Either way, i think we can agree that Tolman as he is right now probably won't be a very good lock. It all depends on him adding to his game and physically being more of a presence on the field.
Its a very soft by Pay if starts Tolman. Ill go 1 better then Thaiday. Ricky sturt dropped Paul Vaughan to reverse grade but Pay doesnt have the balls to at the very bench Tolman.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a very soft by Pay if starts Tolman. Ill go 1 better then Thaiday. Ricky sturt dropped Paul Vaughan to reverse grade but Pay doesnt have the balls to at the very bench Tolman.
Well Thaiday is the starting prop for the Broncs next year and he is what 33 and Vaughan wasn't dropped he got injured and couldn't get back in. That was when he decided to sign with the Drags. Seems to go OK for them though doesn't he.....

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so everyones agruement for Tolman is his not a bench player. Therefore what your saying is his not good enough for the bench as he provides no impact people say.

So if his not good enough for the bench and provides no impact. Then how the for the love of god is he going to do that as a starting player.
Exactly. He shouldn't be in the 17. But he will be and probably starting at lock. Hopefully he at least gets those annoying habits out of his game. His getting in the way in the ruck is monotonous and hitting it up late in the tackle count should be banned. Just make 50 effective tackles every game and try to make some hurt. Hopefully enough class acts happen in the rest of the team and the workhorse adds some value.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting

Aiden Tolman (2017 stats)
Tackles: 880
Hitups: 337
Running Metres: 2720

Per Game

Tackles: 38.26
Hitups: 14.65
Running Metres: 118.26

Jesse Bromwich (2017 stats)
Tackles: 453
Hitups: 250
Running Metres: 2409

Per Game

Tackles: 23.84
Hitups: 13.16
Running Metres: 126.79
Ok now lets compare tackle breaks, offloads. Do you have the stats for them?

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FA03788A-2526-4BD5-AFDC-47D5DD3C8EE5.png 93D0694B-9F88-4B73-93DF-A06F62AED874.png
Ok now lets compare tackle breaks, offloads. Do you have the stats for them?
2017 stats. Not looking to get into an argument with you over this. I agree that tolman provides little impact in attack but Grimaldi didn’t offer anything either and he played a role which allowed our power house forwards to dominate. I feel that tolman is just a bigger version of the lobster.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 4539 View attachment 4540
2017 stats. Not looking to get into an argument with you over this. I agree that tolman provides little impact in attack but Grimaldi didn’t offer anything either and he played a role which allowed our power house forwards to dominate. I feel that tolman is just a bigger version of the lobster.
We will be in 2018 next season. Its not 2004 anymore. Players like Tolman and Grimaldi have no place in todays game. Locks these days need to offer alot more then just tackle.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
View attachment 4539 View attachment 4540
That's years ago, the game was different back then. You also had a load of interchange back then and you could constantly rotate the big boys while keeping a workhorse out there, you don't have that benefit anymore.

Having Tolman out there purely as a defensive workhorse will be a mistake, he needs to be more than just that in todays game.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's years ago, the game was different back then. You also had a load of interchange back then and you could constantly rotate the big boys while keeping a workhorse out there, you don't have that benefit anymore.

Having Tolman out there purely as a defensive workhorse will be a mistake, he needs to be more than just that in todays game.
I agree the game has changed and he needs to offer more which he did in the final three rounds when mr statistics was relieved of control. I can’t see someone on the coin he is on being dumped to reserve grade and he isn’t in the top 4 props at the club so in my eyes easing the load on lichaa is the only way to get some kind of value out of him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think this will be the case tbh
Tolman and Tualau coming off the bench for woods and klem is a great front row rotation in my opinion and hope Pay realises that.

Status
Not open for further replies.