Not open for further replies.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No

We did not let go of graham because we had tolman

No one wanted tolman we attempted to get rid of him

Even Newcastle pulled out
You dont become an nrl coach by being stupid. No coach wanted Tolman not even the Newcastle coach because they are not stupid. His the worst attacker in the history of the game. He offers nothing in attack. No footwork no quick play the ball no offload cant break a tackle no speed 3 metre hitups and thats being generous. His def is ok but even in def he doesnt hit hard.
The only nrl coach or former coach that seems stupid enough to think Tolman is any good is the great Des Hasler. I hope Hasler gets another nrl coaching gig soon so he can take Tolman with him. Plus it will be an easy 2 points when we play the team he coaches.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You dont become an nrl coach by being stupid. No coach wanted Tolman not even the Newcastle coach because they are not stupid. His the worst attacker in the history of the game. He offers nothing in attack. No footwork no quick play the ball no offload cant break a tackle no speed 3 metre hitups and thats being generous. His def is ok but even in def he doesnt hit hard.
The only nrl coach or former coach that seems stupid enough to think Tolman is any good is the great Des Hasler. I hope Hasler gets another nrl coaching gig soon so he can take Tolman with him. Plus it will be an easy 2 points when we play the team he coaches.
Such a dumb comment. Worst attacking player in the history of the game. Im guessing you have only ever watched one single game.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such a dumb comment. Worst attacking player in the history of the game. Im guessing you have only ever watched one single game.
Ok name 1 player worst then Tolman in attack?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok name 1 player worst then Tolman in attack?
You could name any player that has failed in fg for any team in the last 100 years.
Tolman is a prop forward, he is not meant to be an attacking weapon.
Tolmam played desball to the letter. He did what he was told. And so he should. For this reason he deserves a fair go in 2018, a clean slate, just like everyone else in the team. Probably more so because he was so obviously just doing exactly what he was told.

N

Natboy

You could name any player that has failed in fg for any team in the last 100 years.
Tolmam played desball to the letter. He did what he was told. And so he should. For this reason he deserves a fair go in 2018, a clean slate, just like everyone else in the team. Probably more so because he was so obviously just doing exactly what he was told.
If Tolman is allowed to play his natural game this season will he get picked for origin etc?
No and for the same reason he has never been picked. He is small and couldn’t bend the line in an under 6’s game

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another excuse for Tolman. No coach can help him its that simple. His too small no footwork no speed no leg drive no nothing. His offers nothing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Tolman is allowed to play his natural game this season will he get picked for origin etc?
No and for the same reason he has never been picked. He is small and couldn’t bend the line in an under 6’s game
Righto. No worries. Everyone can keep on giving it to him, and i will keep on giving him the benefit of the doubt, and then he will train the house down all off season like everyone else, and then Pay will pick him in the side, and then everyone can keep on whingeing. Or perhaps he will lift and change his game up like everyone else in the team and you will all start backing him.
Whatever.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In any case, there will only be 4 props picked for origin, and sure enough he wont be one of them. But there are at least 64 fg quality props playing NRL.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another excuse for Tolman. No coach can help him its that simple. His too small no footwork no speed no leg drive no nothing. His offers nothing.
Im not trying to say he is the best prop in the game, i just think he deserves a clean slate like everyone else. anyone who is not willing to do the same is not really being realistic.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im not trying to say he is the best prop in the game, i just think he deserves a clean slate like everyone else. anyone who is not willing to do the same is not really being realistic.
What is it in the past 4 seasons that you've seen makes you think that a change in coach and playing style will make tolman more effective?

Given that the previous coach rated tolman as the best prop in the game and probably played to tolman's strengths, what is it now that we can expect to see differently?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone keeps bringing up this "best prop in the game" comment and my recollection of it was that Des was talking about his workrate and capacity to play big minutes with the interchanges going down to 6 in a year or so, no so much in terms of his pure skill and ability. He seemed a little bigger when I saw him on Tuesday - not much but a little so I guess he is still working on it. His frame is pretty good, it's just that he is on the short side for a modern prop. He's about 5cm shorter than Graham. I'm happy to see how he goes in the first few rounds before I write him off. He does have a bit of a step and an offload. It's just a matter of what role he has to play in the side. His 4th tackle hitups were about field position not attack and hopefully Pay will have a different role for him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would be make your top 60?
Yeah sure. Why not. At the end of the day its a team sport. Some players are there to do the fancy stuff, and some players are there to do the hard work and not get all the glory. Thats tolman. And without graham next year, i think tolman will be more valuable then most think. And he really doesnt deserve the constant hate. Thats all.
I dont rate him in the best props in the game, but i think he will be valuable to our team as a whole. Especially if one of our starting forwards are injured in a game and he plays the 80 mins for example.

N

Natboy

Yeah sure. Why not. At the end of the day its a team sport. Some players are there to do the fancy stuff, and some players are there to do the hard work and not get all the glory. Thats tolman. And without graham next year, i think tolman will be more valuable then most think. And he really doesnt deserve the constant hate. Thats all.
I dont rate him in the best props in the game, but i think he will be valuable to our team as a whole. Especially if one of our starting forwards are injured in a game and he plays the 80 mins for example.
Yeah true. I just think we could do a lot better in such a key position

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is it in the past 4 seasons that you've seen makes you think that a change in coach and playing style will make tolman more effective?

Given that the previous coach rated tolman as the best prop in the game and probably played to tolman's strengths, what is it now that we can expect to see differently?
Same could be said about any other player in the team mate.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah true. I just think we could do a lot better in such a key position
Im not suggesting he plays prop by the way. I think he will likely become our lock. Maybe not. Maybe he will play off the bench. I just dont think he is the kind of player you want on the bench. You want him out there when the game begins. You want him playing safe football, making plenty of tackles and not missing them, and then, once all of the initial onslaught is done with you replace him with with an attacking weapon.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol... I thought of him after posting. Could include Reni as well.

My original point was many teams play a prop in the 13 jumper just like we did with Klemmer last year and Eastwood before him. If Pay goes with this set up, given the contract Tolman is on, his high work rate and defensive ability and the lack of impact he can offer off the bench this is likely where he will end up.

But Pay has openly said he is changing the set up and Canberra did things different last year?
What other teams have a player like Tolman at 13? All the top teams have a dynamic player in 13, not a 'workhorse'. He has no point of difference in his game like Finucane, Taumalolo, Taukiaho, Gallen etc. He's just an okay player. Average across the board.

Everyone keeps bringing up this "best prop in the game" comment and my recollection of it was that Des was talking about his workrate and capacity to play big minutes with the interchanges going down to 6 in a year or so, no so much in terms of his pure skill and ability. He seemed a little bigger when I saw him on Tuesday - not much but a little so I guess he is still working on it. His frame is pretty good, it's just that he is on the short side for a modern prop. He's about 5cm shorter than Graham. I'm happy to see how he goes in the first few rounds before I write him off. He does have a bit of a step and an offload. It's just a matter of what role he has to play in the side. His 4th tackle hitups were about field position not attack and hopefully Pay will have a different role for him.
Tolman is a midget and so is Graham, and that is why they get dominated in attack and defence. They are small and slow.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What other teams have a player like Tolman at 13? All the top teams have a dynamic player in 13, not a 'workhorse'. He has no point of difference in his game like Finucane, Taumalolo, Taukiaho, Gallen etc. He's just an okay player. Average across the board.

Tolman is a midget and so is Graham, and that is why they get dominated in attack and defence. They are small and slow.
I agree that Tolman is a modern day lightweight prop but he is still around 185cm and Graham is taller again. They are both between 105 and 110kg which doesn't make them JWH or Junior Paulo sized but they are reasonable and much more mobile than the big blokes and with the interchanges coming down they will go pretty well in the future.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not suggesting he plays prop by the way. I think he will likely become our lock. Maybe not. Maybe he will play off the bench. I just dont think he is the kind of player you want on the bench. You want him out there when the game begins. You want him playing safe football, making plenty of tackles and not missing them, and then, once all of the initial onslaught is done with you replace him with with an attacking weapon.
You want Tolman to play lock. Thats the dumbest thing ive read in my whole life. Tolman at lock hahaha please give me a break.

What on earth will he offer at lock. A lock needs to offer something in attack an offload footwork leg speed post contact metres hit hard in def something. Tolman offers nothing his too small and slow no coach can fix that. Danny F Jackson or RFM need to be our lock. Id go with Danny F at lock Jackson and RFM on the edges. Tolman bench nsw cup or plays for another club.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Same could be said about any other player in the team mate.
Really dude?

Others have shown signs of promise that their game was being inhibited by hasler.

You're seriously going to sit here and tell me tolman falls in the same category given you can't name one sign of promise?

Status
Not open for further replies.