Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman may suprise people. Mbye was a dud under Des. So i have my fingers crossed that every player can step up im a different role
Tolman isn't all of a sudden going to have speed, footwork, ball playing ability, great selective offload, damaging runs, etc. He's a honest frontrower that works hard and will run all day, but the facts are that his runs are average at best and while he covers well in defence, he isn't exactly dominating the tackle and slowing down the play.

We currently have the Australian frontrow, so there should be absolutely no chance he starts there while they're both fit. Locks are also proving to be far more crucial to teams attacks in the game atm, so why put our least effective ball runner there?

I also wouldn't compare Tolman and Mbyes situations. Mbye has always had the skillset to excel as a ball runner, and he's probably the best passer of the ball at the club. His issue has been the lack of development down to the poor coaching and negative systems implemented by Des. There's plenty of room for improvement in Moses, while Tolman will keep being Tolman. Tolman just doesn't justify a starting position with the current squad we have, he needs to put on some size and strength.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman isn't all of a sudden going to have speed, footwork, ball playing ability, great selective offload, damaging runs, etc. He's a honest frontrower that works hard and will run all day, but the facts are that his runs are average at best and while he covers well in defence, he isn't exactly dominating the tackle and slowing down the play.

We currently have the Australian frontrow, so there should be absolutely no chance he starts there while they're both fit. Locks are also proving to be far more crucial to teams attacks in the game atm, so why put our least effective ball runner there?

I also wouldn't compare Tolman and Mbyes situations. Mbye has always had the skillset to excel as a ball runner, and he's probably the best passer of the ball at the club. His issue has been the lack of development down to the poor coaching and negative systems implemented by Des. There's plenty of room for improvement in Moses, while Tolman will keep being Tolman. Tolman just doesn't justify a starting position with the current squad we have, he needs to put on some size and strength.
Many would disagree with you about mbye...

Everyone gets a clean slate. Des stalled all their games. Wont be making judgements til round 5.

Really... at this stage, only Pay knows the potential of each player under HIS system and style

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Many would disagree with you about mbye...

Everyone gets a clean slate. Des stalled all their games. Wont be making judgements til round 5.

Really... at this stage, only pay knows the potential of each player under HIS system and style
They can disagree all they want, you only need to go back and read the threads from back when Moses came into firstgrade. I rated him, but some people hyped him up to stupid levels. He had the skills required from day one, Hasler coaching and playing style just starved him of the development he needed.

Tolman is still Tolman under any system unless he makes changes to himself. I'm not even talking about the 4th tackle hitups or constantly standing in the way, i'm talking about his ability and physical presence, he just doesn't have the ability to justify a starting position in the side at lock.

Tolman is a small forward, yet he doesn't have the speed or footwork you would expect from one...and he probably never will. So he needs to get bigger, stronger and become more explosive, he also needs to add an extra dimension to his game like a nice selective offload, ball playing, tackle breaking ability, anything. Until he does that, i can't consider him anything more than a bench player with the current squad we have.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is a dud. Bench or nsw cup. This workhorse bullshit excuse people have for him is rubbish. His a half decent defender that's it. Meaning he can tackle but doesn't hit hard in def. His attack is probably the worst in the comp. Danny F is our best option for lock. I think Jackson or RFM will be good at lock also but ill rather them play on the edges.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No more plodder forwards please. I want forwards with quick play the balls can offload have footwork break tackles decent speed explosive etc. Tolman ticks none of these boxes. While Jackson RFM and Danny F tick alot of them. Plodders like Tolman and Elliot just blant our attack.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No more plodder forwards please. I want forwards with quick play the balls can offload have footwork break tackles decent speed explosive etc. Tolman ticks none of these boxes. While Jackson RFM and Danny F tick alot of them. Plodders like Tolman and Elliot just blant our attack.
Elliot needs more time, could develop into a Jacko. Has mongrel in him

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliot needs more time, could develop into a Jacko. Has mongrel in him
Elliot is a poor mans Jackson. Id much rather RFM as starting 2nd rower.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Elliot is a poor mans Jackson. Id much rather RFM as starting 2nd rower.
He is now but he has the same mongrel Jacko has... he is a player i would be patient with if i was the coach, he’s not flash (like RFM), but i reckon he could become a great player... only time will tell

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
At the end of the day only Pay knows what he is going to do but as I said in another post, Tolman was one of only two players to address the juniors at the training day. It would be most unusual for a NSW Cup player to have that honour.....and Pay was there and he didn't speak.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Travis Norton...
Lol... I thought of him after posting. Could include Reni as well.

My original point was many teams play a prop in the 13 jumper just like we did with Klemmer last year and Eastwood before him. If Pay goes with this set up, given the contract Tolman is on, his high work rate and defensive ability and the lack of impact he can offer off the bench this is likely where he will end up.

But Pay has openly said he is changing the set up and Canberra did things different last year?

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the end of the day only Pay knows what he is going to do but as I said in another post, Tolman was one of only two players to address the juniors at the training day. It would be most unusual for a NSW Cup player to have that honour.....and Pay was there and he didn't speak.
That is the most exciting thing about a new coach, so many unknowens and possibilities to talk anout in the off season.

Know this is an opinion threat and talking as a realist regardless of personal opinion. Tolman is highly rated at the club and is likley a big part of the plans moving forward, we let our club capitan and arguably the best prop I have seen go over him? As much as it may pain some of the posters in this thread, Tolman is a fair dunkum possibility for capitain! Jackson is the only other realistic contender.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That is the most exciting thing about a new coach, so many unknowens and possibilities to talk anout in the off season.

Know this is an opinion threat and talking as a realist regardless of personal opinion. Tolman is highly rated at the club and is likley a big part of the plans moving forward, we let our club capitan and arguably the best prop I have seen go over him? As much as it may pain some of the posters in this thread, Tolman is a fair dunkum possibility for capitain! Jackson is the only other realistic contender.
Tolman turned up to the forum earlier this year and handled himself pretty well. He speaks well, can think and argues his points with a pretty open approach. He ticks all the boxes from that perspective. Clearly he has a solid reputation within the team environment. The big question is how Pay uses him next season but all the pointers this early are he is going to be there up to his eyeballs. May as well get used to it I think.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im happy for him to be moved along if we are not footing the bill, but this doesnt mean he is shit. I wouldnt have tualau ahead of him yet. He has potential, but he is raw as fuck and needs a few years of first grade. Fualalo is getting close i have to admit. Offers more go forward, but still very green in the experience stakes. So having tolman tgere to settle the forwards down is not a bad thing.
I just wish Tols would trip over every third blade of grass!!! I've said my two cents worth now onto another thread :grinning:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You wont wish this when he is in our team next year im sure.
Sorry pal meant to say I wish Tols would not trip over every third blade of grass!!! No wonder a pat on the back is only 3 feet away from a kick in the ass :grinning: Communication gone wrong :grinning:

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember when we first signed him from Melbourne when they got done for the salary cap , and how much of a coup we all thought the signing of Tolman was. He hasn’t lived up to the high expectations.
I’m not sure how much more Pay can get out of him.

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman was our only 4th tackle option, I’m going to miss him!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

No

We did not let go of graham because we had tolman

No one wanted tolman we attempted to get rid of him

Even Newcastle pulled out

Status
Not open for further replies.