Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
12-14 hitups for Tolman is 12-14 hitups too many. Piss him off, his the worst attacker in the game. He can defend but thats it. And of the bench for 30 mins per game max. Too give Klemmer Woods Danny F a rest.
No thanks, you don't clog up big minutes with such an offensively ineffective forward these days. All the forwards in the NRL that play big minutes offer far more than just defence and average runs, that's just the way it is now.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a workhorse is fine but they have to hurt the opposition or bend them back occasionally. I'd rather a Dogs pack with nothing soft about it so Tolman doesn't fit in for me, workhorse or not.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im talking about starting players. Bolton came off the bench when cowboys won the comp. Evans and Gurrea workhores lol please. Give me a break.
Give you a break? The Roosters gave them both a break, into another team. Not wanted. Thats how good they were.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay looks to be committing to a traditional dogs forward pack so we should see our forwards being more direct with the ability to pass. I can certainly see RFM moving into starting line up based on what Pay would be looking for. The interesting thing will be who Dean sees as being capable of transitioning to the style he wants. Personally I think Tolman is in the 17 because he has a proven motor & a big body. For mine, without the benefit of knowing what junior talent is coming through;

Run on: Woods, Lichaa, Klemmer, RFM, ???, Jackson (C)

Res: Tolman, Danny F (for prop rotation), Nu Brown for dummy half

That leaves Tualau, Elliot, Eastwood as contenders for that final spot including new buys and promising juniors.
I don't know. A lot of people see RFM as a starter this year and while I think he has a lot of potential, I'm not sure he is mature enough for FG run on yet. Fualolo goes OK but he isn't something special. In fact I think Tualau is the pick of them based on this years efforts. He comes off the back fence and has plenty of leg speed and aggression. When in the right head space Eastwood is much better than all of them and that is the big question for next season. Will the newbies improve enough and will Eastwood come back hungry? Everyone seems to have written Elliott off and I think that would be unwise. He showed a fair bit this year and with another full off season he should improve significantly as well. So if he starts and JJ starts and both go for 80 then that only leaves the props and lock to rotate. That looks a lot like Tualau, Danny F and maybe RFM with a back on the bench.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Woods
Klemmer
Fualalo
Tualau

Are all better than tolman

No room for tolman

Bye bye tolman
Do you think Fualalo and Tualau could run the front row together? I think Tolman playing off the bench next to Tualau is a better option as you do need a smart front rower that still knows how to hit points under fatigue.

Tolman
Tualau
RFM
?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think Fualalo and Tualau could run the front row together? I think Tolman playing off the bench next to Tualau is a better option as you do need a smart front rower that still knows how to hit points under fatigue.

Tolman
Tualau
RFM
?
They've got woods and klemmer as mentors.

Also for the past 2 or so seasons we've been getting dominated in the first 20 minutes with graham and tolman starting, So I really don't see how tolmans knowledge is going to help us

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They've got woods and klemmer as mentors.

Also for the past 2 or so seasons we've been getting dominated in the first 20 minutes with graham and tolman starting, So I really don't see how tolmans knowledge is going to help us
Dude you are dreaming if you think Tualau and Fualalo can run the front row alongside Lichaa..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what pay does with tolman this season. I for one am not his biggest fan, but reluctantly must admit he has been one of our most consistent players for a long time. Now that we have the Australia and presumably the blues front row, where does tolman fit into the puzzle??.

Normally you would assume a back row or bench spot, but I can't see him being able to play in the back row??, and doesn't provide the impact you would expect from the bench (I'm sure he would be on good money), I think he is wasted on the bench as well.

Thoughts?
I must have seen another Tolman play this year. The one I watched put his body on the line every game. His defence was solid, and with the absence of any attack plan, he took the ball and made ground up the middle every time. A couple of games he carried the forwards; he even backed up a length of the field try. Tolman is a solid workhorse who provides the shoulders for other to stand on. He will work well with Woods and Klemmer by taking some of the hard yards off them.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive said it before Canterbury should of moved him on , Newcastle would of jumped at him maybe Parramatta, his not a bench player and his only going to get in the way at 13

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I must have seen another Tolman play this year. The one I watched put his body on the line every game. His defence was solid, and with the absence of any attack plan, he took the ball and made ground up the middle every time. A couple of games he carried the forwards; he even backed up a length of the field try. Tolman is a solid workhorse who provides the shoulders for other to stand on. He will work well with Woods and Klemmer by taking some of the hard yards off them.
I think most people with some football knowledge will agree with you. Sadly a lot of posters on here just jump on the bandwagon and repeat what
the others have to say, especially about Tolman.
If given a free rein at 13 he will be very good. The props are pretty much settled with Woods, Klemmer and Fualolo. Taluau is a bench player as is RFM.

N

Natboy

I think most people with some football knowledge will agree with you. Sadly a lot of posters on here just jump on the bandwagon and repeat what
the others have to say, especially about Tolman.
If given a free rein at 13 he will be very good. The props are pretty much settled with Woods, Klemmer and Fualolo. Taluau is a bench player as is RFM.
I know a little bit about football and think Tolman would’ve been a great forward when I played.
These days forwards are more dynamic, able to bend & break the line, actually worry the defensive if they run a decoy, have a good offload & make more than 3 metres a hit up.

I agree what Willie Mason said, he makes a million tackles because he’s a spot player. I’m willing to see how he goes without Des but don’t want a tackling machine who offers nothing else in the team

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know a little bit about football and think Tolman would’ve been a great forward when I played.
These days forwards are more dynamic, able to bend & break the line, actually worry the defensive if they run a decoy, have a good offload & make more than 3 metres a hit up.

I agree what Willie Mason said, he makes a million tackles because he’s a spot player. I’m willing to see how he goes without Des but don’t want a tackling machine who offers nothing else in the team
Exactly, the game has changed. There's reduced interchange, defences are harder to break down, players are stronger and faster, etc. You don't need a bloke that's just going to be just a workhorse anymore, they need to be more than just that to justify big minutes.

N

Natboy

Exactly, the game has changed. There's reduced interchange, defences are harder to break down, players are stronger and faster, etc. You don't need a bloke that's just going to be just a workhorse anymore, they need to be more than just that to justify big minutes.
Pay might pick him because he likes old school bartering rams but hopefully he realises we need to adapt & uses Tolman more appropriately than Des the stubborn fuckwit did

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would be good to have a dynamic hard running forward. But what if the player cant tackle? Players like Tolman cover for them.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be good to have a dynamic hard running forward. But what if the player cant tackle? Players like Tolman cover for them.
If the player can't tackle?

You know we've conceded tries and huge meters because tolman is ineffective against those strong ball runners

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what pay does with tolman this season. I for one am not his biggest fan, but reluctantly must admit he has been one of our most consistent players for a long time. Now that we have the Australia and presumably the blues front row, where does tolman fit into the puzzle??.

Normally you would assume a back row or bench spot, but I can't see him being able to play in the back row??, and doesn't provide the impact you would expect from the bench (I'm sure he would be on good money), I think he is wasted on the bench as well.

Thoughts?
He should play second row and focus on making 40-50 tackles a game - his own tackles plus some of those of his second row buddy who should be more of a ball player and make many more hit-ups. This type of combination has always worked very well traditionally throughout rugby league history. You don't have to have players sticking to each side of the field only. Maybe someone like Pay (who was very effective at big hits himself as a player) could teach and encourage Tolman to be a little "mad" (quote Dean Pay) and hit a bit harder making him more effective in defense also. Tolman should only run the ball when the other forwards need a bit of a rest in attack. Josh Jackson does more than his fair share of tackles but we need to free up Lichaa a bit in defense and most of the other attacking forwards so we need at least one dedicated tackling machine in the pack.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If the player can't tackle?

You know we've conceded tries and huge meters because tolman is ineffective against those strong ball runners
Tolman ineffective? If you check his stats, he doesnt miss many, if any. And he usually makes about 50 tackles a game.
His stats in defence are the best in the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.