What happens to tolman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
tolman is fitter, smarter and has proven over a lot of years he can play footy. He is generally always in the right positions in defence and puts his body on the line. Fualolo just runs straight - nothing wrong with that but he has a long way to go before he demonstrates he is there yet. Frankly I'm getting a bit sick of all the Tolman hate. There seems to be some sort of unnatural focus on his 4th tackle hitups without asking the questions about why he was the only bloke in position to take the pass, who threw it to him, who decided it was a good idea and whether other teams actually do the same thing (which they do). No, he isn't Jess Bromwich but he is a pretty good prop who never stops trying and he only gets about half of JB's money. If fualolo can step up about 3 grades then he might replace him but he has a long way to go. On any even playing field Tolman is 20m ahead of Fualolo at the moment.

That's bullshit, did you defend Mitch browns position every week?,
Sam perrett postion every week?
Josh renoylds postion?

Some players really really try but there comes a time a younger stronger quicker player is the way to go.

Frankly I'd like to know how you know Tolman is SMARTER? Seriously how do you know this?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we have the Australian front row starting is there really a reason for a prop like Tolman on the bench? I think we need a quicker stronger prop who can pick the tempo up once those boys have a rest

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's bullshit, did you defend Mitch browns position every week?,
Sam perrett postion every week?
Josh renoylds postion?

Some players really really try but there comes a time a younger stronger quicker player is the way to go.

Frankly I'd like to know how you know Tolman is SMARTER? Seriously how do you know this?
Well I've spoken to them, but I'm talking about footy smarts and why all the aggro? I was asked a question I responded. You don't have to like my view but there is no need to get your panties in a twist over it. Oh and if you go back over previous posts you will see I did defend JR in the context of him being one of the few players we had on the paddock at the time that could create doubt in the opposition defence and I thought that Perrett was a good tradesman who didn't let us down. I've never mentioned Mitch Brown because I thought he was below FG standard. Tolman is a good prop and clearly of FG standard. fualolo promises to be and I hope he gets there but he wasn't last season.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If we have the Australian front row starting is there really a reason for a prop like Tolman on the bench? I think we need a quicker stronger prop who can pick the tempo up once those boys have a rest
So you know for a fact that the "Australian Front Row" is going to play every game for us next year, not get picked for Origin, not get injured and not lose form. Hell why even bother having extra frontrowers then. We should've bought another three halfbacks. I can't read Pay's mind so I don't know what he has planned but I would still be surprised if Tolman wasn't there in the middle of it and probably as captain. Still if he thinks we need to go in another direction fine by me. My job is to watch his is to do and I can guarantee you I will be doing my job.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you know for a fact that the "Australian Front Row" is going to play every game for us next year, not get picked for Origin, not get injured and not lose form. Hell why even bother having extra frontrowers then. We should've bought another three halfbacks. I can't read Pay's mind so I don't know what he has planned but I would still be surprised if Tolman wasn't there in the middle of it and probably as captain. Still if he thinks we need to go in another direction fine by me. My job is to watch his is to do and I can guarantee you I will be doing my job.
Mate stop making so much sense...

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't think Fualalo will atleast make the bench is having a laugh, he was our best off the bench last season and will only get better. He also stepped up when given a start in a dead average team performance. I'd also much rather take a risk and start him at lock over Tolman. He's fairly agile for a big bloke and has decent pace and strength.
Wouldn't you like Jacko at lock? Wouldn't you rather Elliot, Martin, RFM as the backrowers?

That leaves 2 spots on the bench for Tolman, Fualalo and Tualau. Tolman will be there regardless of what ANYONE thinks so that means you have to drop either Fualalo or Tualau. They both have ball skills and speed to burn for big boys.. Fualalo prob has higher endurance but Tualau can break and bend the line more... It will come down to game plan and form.

This is unless Pay plays 4 forwards on the bench and shifts players during rotations...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is Martin more experienced? He’s yet to play first grade?

I don’t know what people saw last year if they don’t have Fualao in the top 17 it’s a no brainer. If he isn’t in the starting back he’s the first forward on the bench for me.
More experienced as they are 1 yr older in their own right... Elliot and RFM have had one more decent yr in first grade whilst Martin has graduated to 1st team.

As I said his a great player with a good future ahead considering he has blossomed over a 2 yr period and had his break out season last yr. Its a thin line between him and Tualau and I think it will come down to game plans and form.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wouldn't you like Jacko at lock? Wouldn't you rather Elliot, Martin, RFM as the backrowers?

That leaves 2 spots on the bench for Tolman, Fualalo and Tualau. Tolman will be there regardless of what ANYONE thinks so that means you have to drop either Fualalo or Tualau. They both have ball skills and speed to burn for big boys.. Fualalo prob has higher endurance but Tualau can break and bend the line more... It will come down to game plan and form.

This is unless Pay plays 4 forwards on the bench and shifts players during rotations...
This would be my side, but it won't be the side that runs out though. Probably risky with the lack of experience in that backrow ans i'll probably change my mind again in 5 minutes.

8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Martin
12. RFM
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Fualalo
16. Tualau
17. Tolman/Elliott/Ogden/To'omaga/Feastwood

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don’t know how it will be made up as if Jackson is moved to lock or not though to me our hooker is obviously lichaa and then woods and klemmer in 8-10. Then the 11-17 should be made up of

Jackson, rfm, Fualalo, tualau, tolman (only because he isn’t released) then if he wants utility Brown last spot between Elliott, Martin, Ogden, to’omaga, priest. I don’t think Eastwood will be playing on. If he doesn’t go a utility I’d like to see Elliott, Martin, Ogden, to’omaga, Priestley be told
There’s 2 spots open and to earn it.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This would be my side, but it won't be the side that runs out though. Probably risky with the lack of experience in that backrow ans i'll probably change my mind again in 5 minutes.

8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Martin
12. RFM
13. Jackson (c)

14. Brown
15. Fualalo
16. Tualau
17. Tolman/Elliott/Ogden/To'omaga/Feastwood
Tolman and Elliot are sure things... Elliot will start on one edge and Tolman who knows but I think a Tolman/Woods/Klem rotation will be up there with the best front row systems in the comp.

Fualalo should be on the bench as well as he can slot into lock or prop.

Tualau and RFM off the bench will be nothing short of X factors.

As for Brown, handy utility but it all depends on who plays 5/8.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman and Elliot are sure things... Elliot will start on one edge and Tolman who knows but I think a Tolman/Woods/Klem rotation will be up there with the best front row systems in the comp.

I find myself agreeing with you on all that:grinning:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well I've spoken to them, but I'm talking about footy smarts and why all the aggro? I was asked a question I responded. You don't have to like my view but there is no need to get your panties in a twist over it. Oh and if you go back over previous posts you will see I did defend JR in the context of him being one of the few players we had on the paddock at the time that could create doubt in the opposition defence and I thought that Perrett was a good tradesman who didn't let us down. I've never mentioned Mitch Brown because I thought he was below FG standard. Tolman is a good prop and clearly of FG standard. fualolo promises to be and I hope he gets there but he wasn't last season.

I'm not being agro sorry it came across like that.

That was my point about those players I think the same supporters that are sympathetic to Tolman were sympathetic to the other guys saying they try so hard and put in 100%

Rubbish that all time for dead wood to go out the door.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

So your saying we only have 3 front rowers in the squad.. jeez we should be worried?or you saying keep a player like Tolman in the side for experience for when we lose the other two for origin, and lose a potential player who could be a much better player then tolman.

I think if you were coach your team selections would be exactly like haslers with no one ever dropped

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Elliott is not a sure thing lol. Bloke is dead average with some potential to be an average footballer.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliott is not a sure thing lol. Bloke is dead average with some potential to be an average footballer.
Wow I'm surprised you said that, you usually have a good eye for talent. For me Elliot is a future leader and has got some great potential considering his only 23 and already built like a brick house. The only thing that holds Elliot back though is his composure.. same as RFM. If Pay can sort that out I wouldn't be surprised if we see Foran hitting Elliot short, similar to what Foran and Hoffman did at the Warriors.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So your saying we only have 3 front rowers in the squad.. jeez we should be worried?or you saying keep a player like Tolman in the side for experience for when we lose the other two for origin, and lose a potential player who could be a much better player then tolman.

I think if you were coach your team selections would be exactly like haslers with no one ever dropped
So what are you going to do when probably 13 of the FG team from last year start this season off? You make it seem like we have all this abundant talent in the reggies that is demanding to be selected. You can't even find 2 people on here who are in agreement about whether any of the second grade team are up to it. Pick Cleeland - no he's rubbish. Pick Woolford - no he's not ready yet. Pick Martin - no his defence is lacking. Pick To'omaga - no he's too fat and on it goes. We have lots of good players in the second grade but they just aren't that much better than our FG side that they demand to be picked. That's been the problem for a few years and until that is fixed and we have real competition for spots you just end up with people picking second graders because they don't like the first graders. Tolman would be in the starting 17 in every team in the comp and I think under new instructions he will show why this season. Besides we have him for another 3 years.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow I'm surprised you said that, you usually have a good eye for talent. For me Elliot is a future leader and has got some great potential considering his only 23 and already built like a brick house. The only thing that holds Elliot back though is his composure.. same as RFM. If Pay can sort that out I wouldn't be surprised if we see Foran hitting Elliot short, similar to what Foran and Hoffman did at the Warriors.
Yes and I think the outside stressors that were being applied to both those blokes worked more against them than for them. Maybe even the same can be said of Frawley - although I am less certain about him. We need to see if the new approach by Pay pays dividends in terms of their confidence and therefore composure in the new season. I'm hoping it does......

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
8. Woods
9.Lichaa
10 klemmer
11. Jackson (c)
12. RFM
13. Danny.F

14. Brown
15. Tolman
16. Taualu
17. Elliot/Priest

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because compared to RFM, Elliotts ceiling is far lower. Elliott can be a solid player, he can run a handy line, has some aggression and reasonable skills. RFM on the other hand is potentially one of the most damaging edge runners in the game if he puts in the hours at training and gets plenty of playing minutes. His combination of speed, footwork and strength is up there with the best forwards in the game, and he has a very good selective offload and fend to go with it.

Give me RFMs potential over Elliotts anyday. We already have Jackson and Elliott is just a very poor version of him. We need a more dynamic edge runner, a pure athlete like RFM on the edge. Elliott is bench player at best in my team, covering lock and an edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.