Opinion What happened to Bulldogs junior development?

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Given all the rumours about us looking to poach players like Burton and Staines from the Panthers, it got me thinking what ever happened to our bulldogs development? I remember all the Sydney talent used to come from Dogs, Parra and Panthers back in the day but it seems like our production line of talent has gone empty whilst Panthers are uncovering future superstars every week.

It's been a decade since we produced a class of players from our system who were genuine first grade quality or above players (Barba, Idris, Tapau, Klemmer, Finucane, Reynolds, Jackson, Kasiano). Now apart from Averillo, doesn't seem like there is anyone around the first grade squad who looks like they might be something remotely special. What ever happened?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hasler happened - his regime had no interest in junior development, junior teams or junior competitions.
The club went from top tier junior recruitment/ development to a club that was easily manipulated by agents, was not viewed by on the ground scouts as having a good program for juniors to go to.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler happened - his regime had no interest in junior development, junior teams or junior competitions.
The club went from top tier junior recruitment/ development to a club that was easily manipulated by agents, was not viewed by on the ground scouts as having a good program for juniors to go to.
Yes - and just as we were getting rolling on junior development again, C-19 happened and shut the junior leagues down, further hindering our ability to promote from within.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that’s our number 1 problem

Look at our 2004 side and how many of them made their debut at our club . I think it was 13 out of 17.

Now we have to buy players and pay overs because we are not developing players and not identifying the right youngsters from other clubs

Until we fix that area we wont go anywhere

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Guys its a hard one, all juniour development games was stopped due to covid, how do you expect the players to perform and be built on.
Then you got the rigging, conflict of interests,politics, recruiters selecting from bum chum juniour clubs and list goes on.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys its a hard one, all juniour development games was stopped due to covid, how do you expect the players to perform and be built on.
Then you got the rigging, conflict of interests,politics, recruiters selecting from bum chum juniour clubs and list goes on.
Covid has only been in 2020, what about all the years before ?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hasler destroys juniors ,the new crew have tried to implement junior programs but covid doesn’t help either and the good thing with tbaz hes got an eye for a good young talent coming through the ranks ,whilst things are shit now with the imbeciles weve had as coaches this year,we are actually on the up ,awesome sponsor,tbaz will be brilliant and now players actually want to join us ,everyone needs to be patient we are pointing in the right direction

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah look i dont know bro, my opinion is all these kids more interested with social media and spending time on tik tok, fortnite, instagram, Kids arent outside like the old days
haha true but then you look at Penrith, Broncos, Storm who seem to produce superstar after superstar every year. It's not like the dogs don't have the catchment area or talent so I don't think its lack of talent available, it seems like a problem a problem with the scouting, development systems and pathways into the first team.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And that’s our number 1 problem

Look at our 2004 side and how many of them made their debut at our club . I think it was 13 out of 17.

Now we have to buy players and pay overs because we are not developing players and not identifying the right youngsters from other clubs

Until we fix that area we wont go anywhere
13 out of the 17 players in the grand final were through the bulldogs juniors/made their debut at the dogs. And the 4 that didn't (Luke Patten, Willie Tonga, Mark O'Meley, Andrew Ryan) all came to the dogs when they were young and made their name there.

(Yes I know I didn't count Grimaldi as he played 1 game for Dragons before moving to the Dogs).

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
haha true but then you look at Penrith, Broncos, Storm who seem to produce superstar after superstar every year. It's not like the dogs don't have the catchment area or talent so I don't think its lack of talent available, it seems like a problem a problem with the scouting, development systems and pathways into the first team.
Penrith kids love there footy, you got some clubs and teams that go from divison 1 to divison 8, they got a bigger pool of kids, Juniour bulldogs lucky to get even 2 divisons per team.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penrith kids love there footy, you got some clubs and teams that go from divison 1 to divison 8, they got a bigger pool of kids, Juniour bulldogs lucky to get even 2 divisons per team.
What you are saying is very true - but when it comes to representative footy, including Junior Reps - HM, SGBall n Flegg the teams rely on recruiters, good clubs scout far and wide way beyond their own Junior leagues for talent - see hat the Roosters do and they do it well. During the Hasler Castle years the club gave lip service to junior rep teams and went all politically correct. The only apparent pattern in junior rep teams during that time was that most players were all the same shape.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
13 out of the 17 players in the grand final were through the bulldogs juniors/made their debut at the dogs. And the 4 that didn't (Luke Patten, Willie Tonga, Mark O'Meley, Andrew Ryan) all came to the dogs when they were young and made their name there.

(Yes I know I didn't count Grimaldi as he played 1 game for Dragons before moving to the Dogs).
And that’s how you win comps. Majority of those blokes were on indeed because we developed them. SBW would have been on 50k but he played like a $750 player. Similar with a lot of others

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Given all the rumours about us looking to poach players like Burton and Staines from the Panthers, it got me thinking what ever happened to our bulldogs development? I remember all the Sydney talent used to come from Dogs, Parra and Panthers back in the day but it seems like our production line of talent has gone empty whilst Panthers are uncovering future superstars every week.

It's been a decade since we produced a class of players from our system who were genuine first grade quality or above players (Barba, Idris, Tapau, Klemmer, Finucane, Reynolds, Jackson, Kasiano). Now apart from Averillo, doesn't seem like there is anyone around the first grade squad who looks like they might be something remotely special. What ever happened?
I think you know that answer!!
Do you really have to ask..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
This. Des happened. Weren't we in all 3 grades gfs in 2012, and then downhill

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

bobcat had played a fair bit of first grade before he came to us. Klemmer is a parra juniour, Tapua from NZ, Finnucane from the country. They werent dogs juniours as such.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My boy is in Wenty in the Parra district. I have to admit they are full professional even down to the 6's.

My boys team are even going to play oztag in the off-season to learn and maintain match fitness.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
junior development will take 5 years at least

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Leave junior development to one side. What about when they hit the grade? They either regress or stall in their development.