Opinion What are your unpopular opinions about the Bulldogs?

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are some opinions you have that would be considered unpopular?

Here are some of mine:

- Holland would have been a great centre under a proper coaching staff, including better strength and conditioning.

- I’m not that upset that the Morris brothers left. It was probably best for our club as it was too risky to offer long deals. In saying that, the club then went and stuffed up recruitment so it ended up being a negative.

- Lewis could have been a decent half (and could still be one) with proper coaching. I’d rather have Flanagan though. I’d also have kept Cogger for 1 more year and have him play 5/8 if we don’t get Burton for 2021 ( assuming Averillo plays fullback).

- I’m glad we went through the whole Hasler and Pay saga. Without it, we wouldn’t have hired Barrett and potentially set ourselves up for the next 10+ years.

What are some of yours?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m glad we went through the whole Hasler and Pay saga. Without it, we wouldn’t have hired Barrett and potentially set ourselves up for the next 10+ years.
There were similar thoughts about setting ourselves up long term when Hasler and Pay arrived too.....

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
1) JAC is the rockstar fullback we been looking for
2) still not sold on Jake Avo but want to be
100% agree.

Jake looked OK for attack in arguably the most diabolical attacking team we have fielded...I want to be sold on him. Though he seemed a little soft and there is a higher probability he goes on to be nothing special than a superstar.

Jac is a super star. While he might not be at fullback he is still in the most dangerous players in the nrl. (I also think he can be an elite fullback)

Ideally jac plays wing and Jake fullback and they play a roaming role together.

Though I am not remotely sold for Jake to be an elite player yet.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brent Sherwin's career is constantly looked back on through rose coloured glasses by Dog fans.

Truth was he was horrendously inconsistent. Every summer there would be a two page spread in a Sunday Newspaper with him saying "This is the year I will take control of the team".... and he never did.

Apart from the 2004 final series, his best football was in single games, not series of games, and definitely not a good stretch of games.

Way over-rated and should never be mentioned in the same breath of great Bulldog halves. Wouldn't even tie Polly's bootlaces.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have always believed that Thurston never would have become the player he was at the Cowboys if he stayed with the Dogs. He still would have been a decent player and played Origin but Folkesy was a forward focused coach and he wouldn’t have had that combination with Bowen.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jake looked OK for attack in arguably the most diabolical attacking team we have fielded...I want to be sold on him. Though he seemed a little soft and there is a higher probability he goes on to be nothing special than a superstar.
Averillo isn't "soft" as much as both his physical condition and mental approach simply aren't ready for week in week out NRL level intensity. Particularly fullback where he has to cover a lot of ground every single game as well as making multiple decisions in attack and defence, including organising wingers in open field and the defence on the line. That isn't stuff that is easily learnt, it takes time and tutelage.

Go Dogs

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
* our mismanagement of our FG squad from 2004-2007 cost us two premierships

* our 2002 squad was overpaid and could have been salary cap compliant with better management

* we should have kept Gus Gould as coach and not replaced him with Chris Anderson in 1990

* a huge downside to Bullfrog's tenure at the club was his extended family treating the club as their own little play thing - coaching positions, unearned playing selections, business opportunities etc.

* 'Bankstown' should be dropped from the name

* Belmore as is should not be used for FG games again

* I don't care how much time has passed... F*+# SBW!

* I loved Halligan the goal kicker and his conversions in 1998 vs the Eels were some of my favourite memories... but Halligan the winger was just painful to watch

* the NSW selectors were right to ignore Darren Britt for the Blues despite his performances for us and the Kangaroos

* Brett Kenny was better than Terry Lamb

Malla

Reaction score
Brent Sherwin's career is constantly looked back on through rose coloured glasses by Dog fans.

Truth was he was horrendously inconsistent. Every summer there would be a two page spread in a Sunday Newspaper with him saying "This is the year I will take control of the team".... and he never did.

Apart from the 2004 final series, his best football was in single games, not series of games, and definitely not a good stretch of games.

Way over-rated and should never be mentioned in the same breath of great Bulldog halves. Wouldn't even tie Polly's bootlaces.
This is a very unpopular opinion but it is the truth. The unlucky thing for us was both Anasta and Shifty decided to have career years around the same time. Probably stupid from our front office to offer Shifty a 5 year deal in 03 when we had someone of JT's caliber in the juniors.

And yes, Pollamounter is one of the best to ever put a blue and white jersey on. Sherwin is no where near that.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some good ones made here. Can't agree with the Sherwin slander though. My favourite Bulldog to watch of all time. Here are mine:

- Making the GF in 2014 was one of the worst things to happen to us under Hasler's tenure. Gave Des carte blanche to do whatever he wanted from that point on in terms of football operations and it bred complacency in the direction we were headed. We were never good enough to win that year and would've been better off missing the finals altogether.

- We don't get anywhere near the top 8 in 2015/16 without Josh Reynolds and his will to win. His efforts at times almost single handedly won us games and covered over cracks in Des' mind-numbing game plans.

- Lewis gets harshly treated here (dodges tomatoes being thrown) and I actually feel for the kid. Not a superstar by any means but is a tough footballer that plays well above his weight. Much more than I can say about some of our so called forwards.

- Brandon Wakeham is a fringe first grader at best.

- I don't think Josh Morris should be mentioned in the same breath as some of the best centres that have played in our colours. I'd put Vagana, Tonga and Talau all ahead of him and comfortably.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa is not a Fullback needs to stay in the centres.
Unsure if Cotric will be successful in the Centres as he has played winger so long.
Meaney needs to play Fullback hes the best option we have out of our current squad.
Averillo either 5/8 until we get burton or plays on the bench... massive work needs to be done on his defensive game he let in too many tries playing in the centre position.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
- I'm glad Thurston left in 2005, for his sake and the sake of rugby league. Don't think he would have hit those same levels at the Dogs. In North Queensland he's a demi god, at the Dogs he would have been another talented footballer.

- Trent Hodkinson was the most clutch player we've had for the past decade. Won 3 games for us in 2014 with his field goals, including 2 against Manly in the semi's.

- With Burton & Flanagan coming in, Averillo is best off leaving us and going somewhere that he can play five eighth.

- We are now the worst team in Sydney when it comes to identifying and developing talent.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Frank Pritchard was our best forward from 2011 to 2015. No surprises that we were competitive during that period... I reckon his impact on the team is severely underrated compared to the others like Graham and Ennis. He was very dangerous on the edge and moved really well for a big guy...

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- We are now the worst team in Sydney when it comes to identifying and developing talent.[/QUOTE]

I think we are on the podium but I think the Tigers & Dragons still pip us on this one.