Opinion What are your unpopular opinions about the Bulldogs?

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Frank Pritchard was our best forward from 2011 to 2015. No surprises that we were competitive during that period... I reckon his impact on the team is severely underrated compared to the others like Graham and Ennis. He was very dangerous on the edge and moved really well for a big guy...
I couldn't believe we let Frank the Tank go..

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
- We are now the worst team in Sydney when it comes to identifying and developing talent.
I think we are on the podium but I think the Tigers & Dragons still pip us on this one.
[/QUOTE]

Tigers have had some absolute guns go through their system recently including Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Josh Addo-Carr and even some good players like Moses, Brooks and Suli. It's their retention that is horrible.

Dragons would be pretty close with us but at least they've had a couple of promising players who came through their system like Lomax, Ford, Cody Ramsey, Josh Kerr and Jason Saab and even Damien Cook.

Apart from Averillo and maybe Doorey this season, we haven't developed a player that's looked even remotely exciting/promising in at least 5 years.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
  • Love Baz's recruits thus far and I can see more coming through. Further comment around the hooking role would be great.
  • I know it's early days but want to hear an acknowledgement of how much our development program slipped and what they are doing to get us back to the powerhouse we once were. Affiliating with Mounties is a good step.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
New Zealand outreach so far has been a waste of money. Every year we take a home game there and so far I can't see the point. I think we either need to go all out and set up some sort of acadamey or permanent presence there or get out and bring those games back to Belmore or maybe even a new stadium in Liverpool.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ben Barba was an attitude waiting to happen
Polly was very under rated
I wish Mason and SBW had been like long Bulldogs
No forward has captured the Belmore crowd like Robbo did
Klemmer was a fairytale gone wrong but I am happy he is gone
We have treated some of our club captains poorly over the years
Thurston could have been a bigger Canterbury legion than Turvey, Baa and the the Dr combined if he stayed with us.
I wish we signed Kimmorley and Foran 3 years earlier than we did
Matt Geyer ruined the Ricky Stuart/ Brad Clyde fairytale
Chris Anderson and Steve Gearin were the best wingers ever to play for the dogs
Marty Bella is a butter fingered crunt...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
- we should identify as the inner west bulldogs. If not in name, then in Branding.
- get more black in our colours
- play at Belmore 50/50 of the time (maybe not so unpopular?)
- Flanagan is the reincarnation of Jake cogger.
- Foran disposal will come back to bite us
- Hazem was an absolute myth
- we need an Islamic prayer room at our next home ground
- Luke Mcdougall was chronically underrated and underused with us
- Damien Ford was massively underrated
-our squad has barely improved, if at all, in terms of roster next year.

Cant think of any else at this time off the top of my head but if I do I’ll add.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1.THE BULLDOGS FAMILY CLUB is a Myth .
2. JASON WILLIAMS and Brett Dallas were better wingers than El masri and Halligan
3 Willie Mason and James Graham both deserved life time memberships.

Reaction score
I have always believed that Thurston never would have become the player he was at the Cowboys if he stayed with the Dogs. He still would have been a decent player and played Origin but Folkesy was a forward focused coach and he wouldn’t have had that combination with Bowen.
yeah he woulda had it with barba instead

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
* our mismanagement of our FG squad from 2004-2007 cost us two premierships

* our 2002 squad was overpaid and could have been salary cap compliant with better management

* we should have kept Gus Gould as coach and not replaced him with Chris Anderson in 1990

* a huge downside to Bullfrog's tenure at the club was his extended family treating the club as their own little play thing - coaching positions, unearned playing selections, business opportunities etc.

* 'Bankstown' should be dropped from the name

* Belmore as is should not be used for FG games again

* I don't care how much time has passed... F*+# SBW!

* I loved Halligan the goal kicker and his conversions in 1998 vs the Eels were some of my favourite memories... but Halligan the winger was just painful to watch

* the NSW selectors were right to ignore Darren Britt for the Blues despite his performances for us and the Kangaroos

* Brett Kenny was better than Terry Lamb
what a great reply. Will not argue with any of it.

- always felt Reni Matua was a little overrated
- Turvey should be In the discussion at least for immortal. Not saying he should be, but at least discussed especially if they talk Cronk and Sterling. Won 4 comps, was THE main player in our team for 3 of them.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given crowd capacities Belmore is perfectly fine for FG games pending any future move(s)in the pipeline..we should, going forward make that a mini fortress again.

There was Craig Polla-Mounter the pintsized beast then

a decent gap

then Brent Sherwin

Quite different styles of players who played the same position but for toughness, intimidation and durability Kenny doesn't compare to Baa...

Jarrod McCracken was the toughest bloke in the club during his time there and could have punched holes in anyone who disagreed.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was the intercept in 99 right?
Yeah from a Sticky in goal grubber looking for a repeat set at the end of the game. Bloody Geyer picked it up and ran 100 metres to score and win the game...They went in to beat the Mundine Dragons.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah from a Sticky in goal grubber looking for a repeat set at the end of the game. Bloody Geyer picked it up and ran 100 metres to score and win the game...They went in to beat the Mundine Dragons.
Was spewing that day and was there could not believe it, think the rubbish kick lobbed straight into Geyer's hands on the full? and off he went wasn't lightning fast(but had every opposition player charging forward so they had to turn dead and accelerate)and i cant even remember who chased in vain now but they werent fast...it was a gut wrencher thats for sure.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unpopular opinions.....
1. Tolman should have been made captain when Bobcat retired and should still be...
2. Greg Eastwood has been our most consistent back rower this past decade.
3. If we appointed Dymock instead of Pay.....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a great reply. Will not argue with any of it.

- always felt Reni Matua was a little overrated
- Turvey should be In the discussion at least for immortal. Not saying he should be, but at least discussed especially if they talk Cronk and Sterling. Won 4 comps, was THE main player in our team for 3 of them.
Mortimer could do everything Sterling could but also had pace, a running game and was a very good cover defender... and the only thing commentators now speak of Turvey was his passion (ie. the '85 Origin win)

Maitua was a good player to have on the bench as he could cover back row, five eighth and left centre... his ability to start in a GF in the back row allowed us to cover for the loss of Price by then moving Mason to front row and to maintain our prop rotation with Asotasi and SBW off the bench

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our best halfback since Mortimer was Sherwin from 2002-2004... it took him a while to establish himself in FG and he became very inconsistent from 2005 onwards and just fell away unfortunately, but for 3 seasons only Andrew Johns was a better halfback in the league... should have won the Dally M in 2002