What are we going to do if we miss out on B.Smith ? (reportedly close to signing with Titans)

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully we're not waiting for years for a decent 9 like we did for a fullback.

I agree with many that B Smith still has alot to prove and might not be the answer.

We can only hope Trent has spotted someone in lower grades either with us or elsewhere that could fill the role. He has been receruiting younger players that will have a long future together, maybe this is the same.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t see McInness being that much cheaper than B Smith. He is negotiating with St George and the Tigers are chasing him which will dive his price up and it’s probably his last big deal so he will be after the cash too.
I think he’ll be a lot cheaper than B. Smith, a l-o-t.

Whether he’ll be value for money with The Tigers chasing him (who’s base offer is always around a $mill, for any stiff) is a good argument. But not an argument to pay overs for the cheese instead.

Cheese is simply not who we need at his price. He wants to negotiate at backrowrers money, then let’s have a look at who we can punt to fit him in. At spine money, look elsewhere.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he’ll be a lot cheaper than B. Smith, a l-o-t.

Whether he’ll be value for money with The Tigers chasing him (who’s base offer is always around a $mill, for any stiff) is a good argument. But not an argument to pay overs for the cheese instead.

Cheese is simply not who we need at his price. He wants to re- negotiate at backrowrers money, then let’s have a look at who we can punt to fit him in. At spine money, look elsewhere.
I think both would be around $600k-$700k range and both are overpriced from a hooker point of view. The hooker market is pretty limited so anyone that becomes available is going to have their price driven up.

I’d prefer Smith over McInness but I wouldn’t want to pay huge money for either I just don’t see their value as a hooker at $600k+.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d prefer Smith over McInness but I wouldn’t want to pay huge money for either I just don’t see their value as a hooker at $600k+.
Hooker is one position that absolutely deserves to be paid well. Provided they are quality.

With a salary cap your spine is where the money should be spent.

Pay for 7 x quality players with everyone else on minimum wage if necessary. That will win a competition before having 30 solid players.

3 x spine 1, (6 or 7), 9
1 x Prop
1 x Backrower
2 x Outside backs

McInness other than costing much more if we went that way. Is no better than what we have. Good defender, average passing game average kicking game. He isn’t our answer.

I don’t know who but paying whatever is needed for a quality 9 is so critical to our short & long term success.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hooker is one position that absolutely deserves to be paid well. Provided they are quality.

With a salary cap your spine is where the money should be spent.

Pay for 7 x quality players with everyone else on minimum wage if necessary. That will win a competition before having 30 solid players.

3 x spine 1, (6 or 7), 9
1 x Prop
1 x Backrower
2 x Outside backs

McInness other than costing much more if we went that way. Is no better than what we have. Good defender, average passing game average kicking game. He isn’t our answer.

I don’t know who but paying whatever is needed for a quality 9 is so critical to our short & long term success.
I agree completely and I probably could have worded my post better. You’d break the bank for the right hooker I just don’t see McInness or Smith being that hooker.

I know we got bitten badly with Lichaa but I don’t mind paying big money in rookie terms for a highly rated hooker yet to debut.

We just have to bide our time to the right one comes along.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We can do what the great dogs sides of the past have done - develop one..JMK has potential with the right coaching staff and Wakeham is apparently training there as well. Not fussed if we miss out in Smith. Someone will step up. Our roster is building very nicely.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Jmk , think baz will teach this kid when to run, who to pass to and what to do when the game is in thr balance.
Fit kid can play 80mins and a tackling machine

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely and I probably could have worded my post better. You’d break the bank for the right hooker I just don’t see McInness or Smith being that hooker.

I know we got bitten badly with Lichaa but I don’t mind paying big money in rookie terms for a highly rated hooker yet to debut.

We just have to bide our time to the right one comes along.
I really like Smith and the way he plays. maybe I get caught up with our the lack of success recently. So I think about going hard after Smith. Though I’m not 100% convinced he will have the same effect playing week in week out in the 9 jersey.

I actually have hope that the shackles come of JMK and he has a breakout year, with different coaching. While searching for a couple of potential young 9s.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
McInnes is solid but let's get real if Ben Hunt is taking your position then you are badly out of form.

I wouldn't want to be stuck with McInnes long term, he is a passion & effort player. We need a crafty dummy half who has the full skillset. Dragons could only get so far up the ladder with him, even when they were making finals he never really showed enough to be considered a top dummy half.

Fittler selecting him for origin does nothing for me as Fittler is a shit coach.
More like Dragons had to fit in their "star recruit" somewhere coz he's a shitcunt half, so CM was moved to the back to accommodate Hunt.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully we're not waiting for years for a decent 9 like we did for a fullback.

I agree with many that B Smith still has alot to prove and might not be the answer.

We can only hope Trent has spotted someone in lower grades either with us or elsewhere that could fill the role. He has been receruiting younger players that will have a long future together, maybe this is the same.
I must of missed something. Do we actually have a decent fullback?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m hoping either Allen or JAC will do a decent job. Either will be better than Meaney or others that have been there over recent years.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We can do what the great dogs sides of the past have done - develop one..JMK has potential with the right coaching staff and Wakeham is apparently training there as well. Not fussed if we miss out in Smith. Someone will step up. Our roster is building very nicely.
Yes. Saw Wakeham mentioned some time ago but now nothing and rumours of unhappiness? Perhaps that's been connected to him playing hooker rather than his preferred position?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
9th-12th best fullback in the NRL depending on who you talk to.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think both would be around $600k-$700k range and both are overpriced from a hooker point of view. The hooker market is pretty limited so anyone that becomes available is going to have their price driven up.

I agree with most of what you say re this but would point out that we are reportedly paying Cotric $650 in a much less vital position than 9. In saying that, I think we could spend lots more $$ outside the cap (in scouts/finders - please jump in at any time Mr Landry!!) to scouring lower grades & juniors (incl the UK) & signing a few serious talents that would not significantly impact our cap. We may need to make do with JMK or another stop gap shirt filler for a season or 2 but may end up with numerous options in arguably the most important position on the field as the storm have found themselves over the last 12-24 months....

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree.
Despite what he says I’m not even sure he’s a 9.
More a backrower.
I won’t be upset if he goes elsewhere I reckon we bide our time and find the right fit.
Feel the same way about the backrower part and he's small for one too.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A portion of people will accept that you can't get everything. These people will deal with it rationally.

Some will get a bit upset but move on in a reasonable amount of time.

Others will be devastated by the news. They'll start to criticize the club, the coaching staff and any fans that don't think it's the end of the world.

For all I know the club doesn't rate him as highly as some of the fans do.

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I still think baz is aiming to get koroisau next year or 2023 if nothing comes up in the mean time apparently they have a strong relationship. I just hope some young hooker comes through this season because we will be all over it$$