What are some memories of your wonder years?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Top cat was a classic cartoon. Rocky and Bullwinkle was another one. Definitely wonder years of animation.
I don’t remember the re-runs of that one but it looks like one they would have played around that time slot as well. That was the way I’d kickstart my weekend with some kind of tasty breakfast cereal. Followed by hours of riding on the bike/skateboard, then play whatever video games we had access to, and then hiring a VHS movie with pizza on Saturday night. Good times.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t remember the re-runs of that one but it looks like one they would have played around that time slot as well. That was the way I’d kickstart my weekend with some kind of tasty breakfast cereal. Followed by hours of riding on the bike/skateboard, then play whatever video games we had access to, and then hiring a VHS movie with pizza on Saturday night. Good times.
Sounds like my childhood. We built bikes from spare parts we found on the street. Built go carts. Lost some elbow and knee skin in the process. Our parents used to pull our ears to get out of the house and told us to come back in when the street lights came on. Donkey Kong game & watch was a luxury lol.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I even remember some of the simpler things, like when I was maturing and started taking an interest in what was happening in my area by reading the local paper - the Torch, Valley Times, and Canterbury Express. I'm not sure if those publications even exist anymore in an online capacity - I certainly don't receive them on my front lawn anymore.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I even remember some of the simpler things, like when I was maturing and started taking an interest in what was happening in my area by reading the local paper - the Torch, Valley Times, and Canterbury Express. I'm not sure if those publications even exist anymore in an online capacity - I certainly don't receive them on my front lawn anymore.
Great memories. The local rags. Weren't they great when they'd have the souvenire edition when the Dogs made the finals. My favourite article in the torch was the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Great memories. The local rags. Weren't they great when they'd have the souvenire edition when the Dogs made the finals. My favourite article in the torch was the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Yep I liked all the articles and they way they were simple to read. Tabloid print out as well made it easy to hold. The fact that it was focused on our community and had local classifieds in it as well was great.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember the Torch putting out a pretty good Bulldogs team poster each year. If you went to their office in Featherstone Street, Bankstown, you could grab a bunch of copies of the poster. I have a number of them framed from the early 90s.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I have a good story about The Leader the StGeorge Council paper my mate grew up in Lugarno and we left school Peaky High in year 12 and all were pretty aimless most of my mates did trades and are going really well I’m going okay work for myself ect ect but this mate replied to a shipping company ad out at Botany as a 18 year old in the job pages of the Leader.

Started work as a shit kicker labourers assistant moved up and up showed a real talent and became the National manager of this international freight company biggest personal clients Include Bunnings IKEA ect ect and he is killing it all from The Leader. He is a Saints fan though so fuck him..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Army disposal stores where you could actually buy old military equipment.

Record stores. Spend the hole day in the city going from 1 store to the next. Start at central and zig zag George, Pitt, Elizabeth streets various record stores working your way up to towards Centrepoint, from memory there was a big record store bottom of the Strand Arcade. Find Redeye and in the early days Utopia was Martin Place. Exhausted by the end of the day and go home with a few goodies. Late 80's. early 90's weren't so many boutique yuppy shops back then in the city so plenty of interesting shops in town.
Use to be a massive shop on Parramatta Road Leichhardt too spend a couple of hours in their and wouldn't even make a dint. Just a filthy shop full of records probably not long after CDs started to take hold so abudents of records those days.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Army disposal stores where you could actually buy old military equipment.

Record stores. Spend the hole day in the city going from 1 store to the next. Start at central and zig zag George, Pitt, Elizabeth streets various record stores working your way up to towards Centrepoint, from memory there was a big record store bottom of the Strand Arcade. Find Redeye and in the early days Utopia was Martin Place. Exhausted by the end of the day and go home with a few goodies. Late 80's. early 90's weren't so many boutique yuppy shops back then in the city so plenty of interesting shops in town.
Use to be a massive shop on Parramatta Road Leichhardt too spend a couple of hours in their and wouldn't even make a dint. Just a filthy shop full of records probably not long after CDs started to take hold so abudents of records those days.
I remember in the late 80’s going down to Sydney 3 or 4 times each year to watch a Dogs game and the first thing we did was do a record store crawl like the one you mentioned, because the ones in Brisbane at the time were rubbish. There used to be 3 or 4 awesome secondhand record stores in the bottom bit of Pitt St near Central Station. And as young hard rocker, the first time I walked down those stairs at Utopia into that Martin Place store was like walking into another dimension. It was pretty small store, but we used to spend 2 or 3 hours in there every time literally looking at everything they had. Always returned back to Brisbane with some cool goodies from there.

And pre-internet days, you had to pick up those street music mags (I can’t remember what the Sydney ones were called) to see where all the bands were playing that weekend.