What are some memories of your wonder years?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
On the weekend, Civic Video in Five Dock closed down. It was the last remaining suburban video store that I know of. I think the only one remaining in Sydney now is the one in Bondi.

This topic always makes me reminisce about the good old days. I remember back when I was a young lad, it was considered cool to spend a Saturday night at home, order Pizza, and hire a movie. That was it. Now… I’m back at that age. That’s the best way to spend a Saturday night. I remember walking through the popcorn-scented isles looking for movie to watch or video games to play, that was awesome.

In Japan, video stores are still very popular. It’s a cultural thing, part of who they are. In fact, there are lines and queues to get into video stores in some areas.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Finding a one dollar note (yes a note) on my my way to school and buying a bag of lollies the size of a horses head one of the best days st school ever! Popular as fuck

Wahesh

Reaction score
Finding a one dollar note (yes a note) on my my way to school and buying a bag of lollies the size of a horses head one of the best days st school ever! Popular as fuck
Yeah I remember them. There was also a $2 note.

I remember across the road from school (high school) there was a small mixed business. I used to go across the road everyday after school to buy something. One day I bought a 50c packet of lollies.

I also used to go and buy hot chips from time to time. They smelt so damn good and enticing. Any topping on it you want as well, sauce, vinegar, whatever. They were awesome. Whenever I was walking around with one of those bags of hot chips after school waiting for the bus, this fat guy ALWAYS came up to me 100% of the time to ask me a question just so he can get offered one. He never bought/offered me anything either.

Then there was the canteen there. They had everything. Chocolate doughnuts, muffins, Chicken Schnitzel burger with lettuce & mayo, chocolate eclairs, ice cream... and the drink and chip vending machines too :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember going to the shops with $10 and buying a pack of Winnie Reds and a pack of Peter Jacksons for exactly $10. Now it's around $40 a pack. Glad I quit smoking.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember going to the shops with $10 and buying a pack of Winnie Reds and a pack of Peter Jacksons for exactly $10. Now it's around $40 a pack. Glad I quit smoking.
And just how old were you at the time this was happening?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And just how old were you at the time this was happening?

I looked old for my age.

I can still remember the time a friend and I went to the bottle shop with my mum to buy some beer for dad's b'day. My friend said to the bottle shop clerk, "How old do you think this guy is?". The bottle shop clerk said, "I'm guessing about 23, 24". My mate said, "Nope, he's 14... wait.. fuck. No he's 18, I meant he's 18"

Wahesh

Reaction score

I looked old for my age.

I can still remember the time a friend and I went to the bottle shop with my mum to buy some beer for dad's b'day. My friend said to the bottle shop clerk, "How old do you think this guy is?". The bottle shop clerk said, "I'm guessing about 23, 24". My mate said, "Nope, he's 14... wait.. fuck. No he's 18, I meant he's 18"
Shit bro, that's young. How old were you when you quit?