What are some memories of your wonder years?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How about yourself, how far did you get?
Didn't play. I just laughed while I watched her fail then I played Alex Kidd and got about halfway through the first level.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Miracle World?
Yarr.

Tried the Wonderboy games as well. I do alright with the original Wonderboy but Wonderboy in Monster Land... that's ridiculous. The first two levels are a joke then you hit a point where it's nearly impossible.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Yarr.

Tried the Wonderboy games as well. I do alright with the original Wonderboy but Wonderboy in Monster Land... that's ridiculous. The first two levels are a joke then you hit a point where it's nearly impossible.
Miracle World is pretty easy. I love it. The Volcano, Spikes, Grey Castle, Brown Castle - beautiful game. Bright coloured graphics too.

The original Wonder Boy is good. 8 bit gem. I used to use this cheat that would allow you to skip stages lol. It was easy and you never knew what stage you would be at next.

Yep Monster Land is ridiculous. I remember I got to a stage once where I couldn't even figure out how the heck we'd get to the end to fight the dragon. It was a maze I could never work out.

Wahesh

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I went for a walk through my old neighbourhood – the main shopping strip. I don’t live in the area anymore and rarely end up there. However I did on this particular occasion. I decided to count how many shops were there that I remember from my younger days. Now for arguments sake, I’ll say there’s something like 60-70 shops along the main strip here – ballpark figure. Of all those shops, I counted 11-12 that I remember being there from when I was a lad. That is how many business changes have taken place over the years! And of those that remained, most of them were either banks or franchises part of a large chain.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I went for a walk through my old neighbourhood – the main shopping strip. I don’t live in the area anymore and rarely end up there. However I did on this particular occasion. I decided to count how many shops were there that I remember from my younger days. Now for arguments sake, I’ll say there’s something like 60-70 shops along the main strip here – ballpark figure. Of all those shops, I counted 11-12 that I remember being there from when I was a lad. That is how many business changes have taken place over the years! And of those that remained, most of them were either banks or franchises part of a large chain.
My areas where I grew up has changed a lot as well.

This cool blog talks about some of the business that I remember from my general area. Most of it is fascinating and it's well written with a bit of humour.

https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/

Wahesh

Reaction score
My areas where I grew up has changed a lot as well.

This cool blog talks about some of the business that I remember from my general area. Most of it is fascinating and it's well written with a bit of humour.

https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/
That's a good read that article.

I can also tell you though that Ashfield, Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills are all in the same boat (my old neighbourhood was Campsie). Campsie and Ashfield are now mainly Asian - Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese mainly. Beverly Hills has a bit of everything, but the businesses that stand out to me there are Japanese, Chinese and German (believe it or not) along with an Event Cinemas block (previously known as Beverly Hills Twin Cinemas, gone from 2 cinemas to 8), and some well known franchises such as Pancakes on the Rocks and Oliver Brown.

Kingsgrove - massive difference now compared to 20 years ago. An area that was previously dead has been revived with a mixture of different shops, and the most noticeable, a Woolworths built into a complex of new apartments a jump away from the train station. A previously sleepy-hollows suburb and now more vibrant.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
That's a good read that article.

I can also tell you though that Ashfield, Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills are all in the same boat (my old neighbourhood was Campsie). Campsie and Ashfield are now mainly Asian - Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese mainly. Beverly Hills has a bit of everything, but the businesses that stand out to me there are Japanese, Chinese and German (believe it or not) along with an Event Cinemas block (previously known as Beverly Hills Twin Cinemas, gone from 2 cinemas to 8), and some well known franchises such as Pancakes on the Rocks and Oliver Brown.

Kingsgrove - massive difference now compared to 20 years ago. An area that was previously dead has been revived with a mixture of different shops, and the most noticeable, a Woolworths built into a complex of new apartments a jump away from the train station. A previously sleepy-hollows suburb and now more vibrant.
You should check out the guys whole blog it mentions many things in detail you bought up. Remember Beverly Hills Pizza Hut? That place use to be a kids dream. Pizza then a movie. The German restaurant in Beverly Hills is still great. I miss the Video Ezy in Narwee. Use to hang out and play street fighter all day.

Do you remember they filmed a movie in Narwee? Wish I remembered it's name. Apparently Riverwood KFC was one of the first ever fast food places in Australia but it was called something else. Anyway look through the dudes site it's all in there.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
You should check out the guys whole blog it mentions many things in detail you bought up. Remember Beverly Hills Pizza Hut? That place use to be a kids dream. Pizza then a movie. The German restaurant in Beverly Hills is still great. I miss the Video Ezy in Narwee. Use to hang out and play street fighter all day.

Do you remember they filmed a movie in Narwee? Wish I remembered it's name. Apparently Riverwood KFC was one of the first ever fast food places in Australia but it was called something else. Anyway look through the dudes site it's all in there.
Oh yeah I'll definitely check out the blog. I remember Bankstown Pizza Hut. We used to do it the other way around though, we'd go to Bankstown square, buy things like lollies and popcorn from there (the popcorn there was cheaper than the movies) watch the movie, then if we were still hungry, go across the road to Pizza Hut. Good old days. I remember there was Video Ezy in Campsie, but everyone used to go to Civic Video as it was much bigger, more room to move around, they had video games and used dvds for sale, plenty of movie snacks too, and it was in front of a bus stop. In 2010 the shop halved in size before closing in 2015.

I'm not sure of which movie they would've filmed in Narwee - must've been an indi film right? Nothing rings a bell. Yes Riverwood had one of the first take away stores, and also McDonalds in Yagoona - I think that was the first Maccas in Australia.

Wahesh

Reaction score
@N4TE I just read through his bounty - this shit stunned me: https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/bounties/

Bankstown synagogues: Yes, synagogues. Bankstown had two of them BITD, one on the corner of Meredith Street and Rickard Road, and another near the Stacey Street overpass beside the Big W on North Terrace. I don’t want to spoil things, but apparently they met terrible ends.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
@N4TE I just read through his bounty - this shit stunned me: https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/bounties/

Bankstown synagogues: Yes, synagogues. Bankstown had two of them BITD, one on the corner of Meredith Street and Rickard Road, and another near the Stacey Street overpass beside the Big W on North Terrace. I don’t want to spoil things, but apparently they met terrible ends.
Yeah I never knew there was a Jewish presence in Bankstown.

Talking of remember Time Out Bankstown where the McDonalds is? That place was rough as.

Also the movie was idiotbox with Ben Mendalson. They robbed Narwee bank.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I never knew there was a Jewish presence in Bankstown.

Talking of remember Time Out Bankstown where the McDonalds is? That place was rough as.

Also the movie was idiotbox with Ben Mendalson. They robbed Narwee bank.
Oh I see. I can't say I've heard of that one before. Must be one from the 90s I'm guessing.

I walked past Time Out a few times but never went it - I did look rough. I went to Time Zone in Campsie a few times. That place a big hangout. I remember kids used to jig school to go there and it became such a problem, that Time Zone had to put a sign up - No entry to school children during certain times on weekdays lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Little known fact %1. Outside of her acting career she's written 5 books about maths.

Little known fact #2. When google searching a character name to work out the name of an actress you admired as a teenager you can often find out random bits of information like the fact that they've written books about maths.

Little known fact #3. I've got too much time on my hands.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember being 13 and hitchhiking on Roberts road with my bestie Maria.. Just for laughs

Got picked up by some surfie looking dudes, went to Wiley park pub and they bought us a lemonade lol

Looking back I can't believe how risky that was! No wonder I cotton wool my kids now

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember being 13 and hitchhiking on Roberts road with my bestie Maria.. Just for laughs

Got picked up by some surfie looking dudes, went to Wiley park pub and they bought us a lemonade lol

Looking back I can't believe how risky that was! No wonder I cotton wool my kids now
Roberts Road in Greenacre? A 13 year old hitch-hiking - what year are we talking though Wolfy? I remember the Trudie Adams case changed the face of hitch-hiking forever in this country - that was sometime in 1978.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Trudie_Adams

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score