What are some memories of your wonder years?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember in the late 80’s going down to Sydney 3 or 4 times each year to watch a Dogs game and the first thing we did was do a record store crawl like the one you mentioned, because the ones in Brisbane at the time were rubbish. There used to be 3 or 4 awesome secondhand record stores in the bottom bit of Pitt St near Central Station. And as young hard rocker, the first time I walked down those stairs at Utopia into that Martin Place store was like walking into another dimension. It was pretty small store, but we used to spend 2 or 3 hours in there every time literally looking at everything they had. Always returned back to Brisbane with some cool goodies from there.

And pre-internet days, you had to pick up those street music mags (I can’t remember what the Sydney ones were called) to see where all the bands were playing that weekend.
Yeah mate I think that mag was called Drum. Interviews, gig guide etc, cant remember exactly moved away from Sydney 20 years ago.
Yep there use to be quite a few stores back in the day. Waterfront records was Elizabeth Street I think short walk from Central. Utopia moved a few times, I remember the first time going there and similar to your experience.
There were a couple of good import shops in Parramatta and 1 in Blacktown too. Fun times.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Army disposal stores where you could actually buy old military equipment.

Record stores. Spend the hole day in the city going from 1 store to the next. Start at central and zig zag George, Pitt, Elizabeth streets various record stores working your way up to towards Centrepoint, from memory there was a big record store bottom of the Strand Arcade. Find Redeye and in the early days Utopia was Martin Place. Exhausted by the end of the day and go home with a few goodies. Late 80's. early 90's weren't so many boutique yuppy shops back then in the city so plenty of interesting shops in town.
Use to be a massive shop on Parramatta Road Leichhardt too spend a couple of hours in their and wouldn't even make a dint. Just a filthy shop full of records probably not long after CDs started to take hold so abudents of records those days.
I loved the old school Army disposal stores. When I was a kid, Bankstown had at least 4 that I can remember: One on the railway bridge, opposite Coles. Another on South Terrace, roughly opposite the railway station. One on the corner of Greenfield Parade and Chapel Road (south). Another on the Featherstone Street side of the Compass Centre. Liverpool had a couple of great ones too, and of course some good ones in the City. As the original surplus dried up, they become overrun with modern camping equipment and entirely changed, or vanished.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I loved the old school Army disposal stores. When I was a kid, Bankstown had at least 4 that I can remember: One on the railway bridge, opposite Coles. Another on South Terrace, roughly opposite the railway station. One on the corner of Greenfield Parade and Chapel Road (south). Another on the Featherstone Street side of the Compass Centre. Liverpool had a couple of great ones too, and of course some good ones in the City. As the original surplus dried up, they become overrun with modern camping equipment and entirely changed, or vanished.
Yeah we use to buy army jackets.
Ive still got a skillet frying pan its a weapon, the wife hates it cause its heavy. Cast iron, best thing to cook steak on inside the house.
Wodonga had a massive army disposal with memoribila and all sorts. Back of the shop had racks and boxs of old army comms and test gear, box's of valves, oscilloscopes etc. I passed through about 5 year ago hoping they still had some old valve equipment but the place was no more.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah we use to buy army jackets.
Ive still got a skillet frying pan its a weapon, the wife hates it cause its heavy. Cast iron, best thing to cook steak on inside the house.
Wodonga had a massive army disposal with memoribila and all sorts. Back of the shop had racks and boxs of old army comms and test gear, box's of valves, oscilloscopes etc. I passed through about 5 year ago hoping they still had some old valve equipment but the place was no more.
I went to the one at Wodonga a couple of decades back, when I was passing through on a road trip. Impressive.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
XR250 full noise through the bush Sandy point to Menai.
Bullet proof little bikes.
Dude I used to love riding there. I would spend hours riding there. Man you could get up some good speed at times but it could get hairy!! That was until the flogs ruined it for everyone doing stupid shit and the cops started showing up.