What are my rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Hi Kennel,

Might need some help here.

So yesterday around 4:45pm (mind you we finish at 530pm) my co worker & I left early due to the extreme sydney weather ( we live out west and we work in chatswood). We spoke to our support team and they said we could leave early since we live so far aware. They basically thought about our safety getting home.

Anywho, after we left our senior manager came upto my colleague and went off her completely. She felt humiliated. I was told about it this morning. She was very sad that he had raged at her in front of everyone in the office.

Just FYI, our direct manager left about 6 months ago (she would have let us go) but since she has left our team of four have been work and managing things together.

so, what would you do in this situation? He really annoyed me that he went off the way he did and mind you we only left 45 minutes before our shift is supposed to be over.

We have never had this issue before. So I was really shocked.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd quit the office job and go enjoy a rain day or 3

#tradielife

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
P.S - I had the office job once upon a time. I also had/have a short fuse so it would have ended badly for me and the manager if that was my situation.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can't fight the man 101 because you will be sacked. Your entire team needs to sit down and discuss its issues and show a united front against the man.

Office politics. Seniors above him will 9 times out of 10 back the majority over the 1 because it avoids issue.

Plus most people have common ****ing sense. It's hurricane Katrina right now.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd explain to them that you were advised to go home early so that's what you did.
It wasn't appropriate that the person that yelled at her and i'd let them know that

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
However in my experience, office workers are weak. Do what they do and stab him in the back discretely.

Put laxatives in the morning tea cakes.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
P.S - I had the office job once upon a time. I also had/have a short fuse so it would have ended badly for me and the manager if that was my situation.
I really wanted to say something. I told the team we should hold a meeting or some sort of talk. They said better to just ignore it.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point out that the Premier of NSW recommended staff members go home early.

"So there is strong advice to everyone across the greater metropolitan area, that is from Illawarra to Newcastle, to start to head home as soon as possible," he said.

"We are calling for bosses to be flexible, people to make arrangements in an orderly way to start to head home as soon as you possibly can."

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really wanted to say something. I told the team we should hold a meeting or some sort of talk. They said better to just ignore it.
Ugh that is the worst attitude ever to work with.

What you have there is a group of people only willing to look out for themselves in the slightest bit of conflict.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Point out that the Premier of NSW recommended staff members go home early.

"So there is strong advice to everyone across the greater metropolitan area, that is from Illawarra to Newcastle, to start to head home as soon as possible," he said.

"We are calling for bosses to be flexible, people to make arrangements in an orderly way to start to head home as soon as you possibly can."
My colleague told him that but he still went off saying that we should have come directly to him and leave would be approved.. lmao deducting leave for 40 minutes.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tell em to go get ****ed and if you ever hear them talking like that again you will drop him where they stand.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What is the firm protocol on this sort of thing (ie: leaving early)? By leaving early were you missing a meeting or not completing a particular task (I would assume no since you mentioned your support team).

You probably should have run it past someone more senior tbh.

But that also doesn't excuse bullying. as I wasn't there though it's hard to comment. We all have different definitions on what constitutes "blowing up".

If it's a one off, I'd personally just let it go. But if you feel so strongly about it that it affects your job then a quick word with the senior manager in a non threatening environment (like the smoko room) should clear things up if he is a rational person. No need to be overly confrontational. Maybe "look boss we left early because of the weather. We made sure our work is covered and needed to leave quickly". You can then let him have his say. He could very well apologize for his outburst (if this was a one off there is a very real possibility of him doing so). If he fails to recognize making your colleague upset it is up to you whether you want to bring it up (also think about what she would want too... not everyone wants to rock the boat).

During this discussion it is also best to establish a clear protocol going forward. I appreciate the weather situation is pretty extreme but there will be other times you might need to leave early for a sick kid etc.

This could very well be a one off. When people are sacked and not replaced it changes the dynamic of a workplace and can put people under stress both up and down the food chain.

Just my two cents worth from working in and around office environments for almost 20 years :grinning:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speak to his supervisor say he corned you in the toilet and grabbed your pecker .

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
I think the team just want to let this go. ah. I think theyre more afraid than anything else but I did say if we went together then they cant do anything about.

Thanks for all youre input.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
by any chance your senior manager is an Indian / from subcontinent?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi Kennel,

Might need some help here.

So yesterday around 4:45pm (mind you we finish at 530pm) my co worker & I left early due to the extreme sydney weather ( we live out west and we work in chatswood). We spoke to our support team and they said we could leave early since we live so far aware. They basically thought about our safety getting home.

Anywho, after we left our senior manager came upto my colleague and went off her completely. She felt humiliated. I was told about it this morning. She was very sad that he had raged at her in front of everyone in the office.

Just FYI, our direct manager left about 6 months ago (she would have let us go) but since she has left our team of four have been work and managing things together.

so, what would you do in this situation? He really annoyed me that he went off the way he did and mind you we only left 45 minutes before our shift is supposed to be over.

We have never had this issue before. So I was really shocked.
1) Is there any record of correspondance between you and your support team or can you remember the name of the person who gave you approval?

2) Should you have checked with this senior manager 1st?

If so, did you try and fail?

3) Did other department's follow same course of action

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
1) Is there any record of correspondance between you and your support team or can you remember the name of the person who gave you approval?

2) Should you have checked with this senior manager 1st?

If so, did you try and fail?

3) Did other department's follow same course of action
1. That isnt the issue.

2. That is the issue. He wanted us to come to him first hand. However we have been working and managing these things for 6 months now. SO it was pretty random.

3. no clue. An email was sent to the whole office because of us LOL in regards to leaving etc. s

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1. That isnt the issue.

2. That is the issue. He wanted us to come to him first hand. However we have been working and managing these things for 6 months now. SO it was pretty random.

3. no clue. An email was sent to the whole office because of us LOL in regards to leaving etc. s
1. May not be the issue, but if you have approval, you have approval
2. If he want's that, then he needs to get more involved.
3. I had a Telstra wide email sent because of a training group i was in jumping in an elevator and causing it to break down with 11 of us in there (Amazed we weren't fired TBH)

Status
Not open for further replies.