What a disgraceful performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were always in the match which is a good sign.

Anyone else get a stiffy when they were throwing the ball around and offloading at the end?
We dont use the inside ball to our advantage with our big boppers.
10 metres out with a fresh set of 6 why arent we using klemmer and woods just to run it straight with offloading options on either side?

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most of these threads are laughable.

I admit I spent a lot of last night's game swearing at the TV and getting frustrated with the lack of creativity and execution in attack.

But to be honest, attack can come later, I am more concerned about general attitude and effort and particularly attitude and effort in defence. Last night (with the exception of Hopoate's attempt on Mitchell in the first half) our defense and overall effort levels were huge.

You teeny bopper fans need to get your head out of your asses and realise that we are not the 2004 side and Hasler has put us in a position where we are having to rebuild.

To produce such a great defensive effort last night was fantastic.

Same here, wanted to throw something at the TV every time we tried another crash ball, another simple spread or another cross field kick, but everyone out there earned their pay last night - it was as tough a game as I've seen in a while. We limited their opportunities with some great defence, and wasted ours with aimless attack.

The effort was there and that is half the battle, it sucks to be held scoreless but with a few adjustments (particularly in support play) we'll definitely improve.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Same here, wanted to throw something at the TV every time we tried another crash ball, another simple spread or another cross field kick, but everyone out there earned their pay last night - it was as tough a game as I've seen in a while. We limited their opportunities with some great defence, and wasted ours with aimless attack.

The effort was there and that is half the battle, it sucks to be held scoreless but with a few adjustments (particularly in support play) we'll definitely improve.
Great post.

A lot of people will get butt hurt for this comment, but the people who are having meltdowns last night and this morning seem to just be the people who can't see past their own emotions and actually analyse a game and a performance based on it's merits.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay should have been signed for one season only and if were still shit by the end of the season which so far we are still shit then look for another coach, and I couldn't care less if he has ever played for the Doggies, Pay so far hasn't impressed me yet, if he thinks their improving then this is going to be the worst finish for the Dog's in a long time, and any player that hasn't improved or are getting on in age once their contract is up it's bye bye, bring players up from the ISP and don't sign anyone who is second rate we need some superstars and if we have to wait until our salary cap is good then we wait, and back to the coaching I would rather some of the kenneler's coach our team at least they can see what our coach can't see and some have good idea's. That's my whinge.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The game last night never rose to any great heights. Honestly if it had been a reversal of score let me tell you that I would not have been in anyway excited at the win. We were shit but the Roosters were even more so. Either side would have been comprehensively beaten by the competition big boys on the efforts shown. Games like the one we saw at ANZ last night are ones you don't want to see every week simply because they may be close but not engaging in the least. I was tipping a win by our boys by 8 last night but alas not to be.

The intensity of the previous week was missing, but once again we had a short turnaround and a long trip home against a side that had a 7 day turnaround; ironically the same applied in Round 2 this year.

Yes it had some great defence by some of our players but they had to be good because stupid errors and slack turnovers on the last made us a good target for Roosters. Our attack was absolutely pathetic and it was like watching the plan A only play of last year. Hit the side of Ferguson and co each and every time and each and every time they had our measure. The one and only time the ball is shifted out to Montoya....he drops it..... I groaned in frustration at the effort of Fualalo who on having the opportunity to make a run at the try line simply tucked the ball in tight and strolled towards the Roosters try line. No oomph no intensity.We did have a scoring opportunity in the second half but no ball was shifted out to an unmarked Morris who pretty much would have planted the ball down albeit in the corner but over the line nevertheless.

The thing that disturbs one is we are not going to get any type of roster improvement soon, so the guys we have will have to step up and change their spots and completely recreate themselves. Can they do it.....only time will tell, but I am under no illusions that we will even go close to making the eight this year......... but then again a lot of the so called experts had that happening anyway.... we are nothing better than also rans in the opinion of most. Just need to ride it out and keep supporting them but by gee, they are making that very hard.

The game deserved no more than the 11309 that turned up........what a poor crowd...but then I guess all round by the NRL it was a poor effort. MR Greenberg asks us to embrace the game and enjoy the game day experience..well if the best on offer is watching two dozen security guards standing in the middle of the field for 90 minutes prior to kick off he has got to be kidding. You may say that the club has to be answerable too but when you have NO lower grade game in support and the gates open at 6.30 pm an hour and a half before first grade kick off it really makes you ask 'Why bother'????????

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20180701/match-report

THE Roosters may not play a worse game of footy in 2018 than they did on Thursday night ... and still they beat Canterbury.
The dire Bulldogs proved new coach Dean Pay has done nothing to fix their dismal attack as they lost 6-0 in an ugly affair at ANZ Stadium.

Des Hasler was ultimately sacked by the proud Belmore club because the team’s performance inside their attacking 20 metres had deteriorated so badly in the space of 18 months.

They brought in a new coach, shifted Moses Mbye to fullback and ditched Josh Reynolds.

And still the Bulldogs can barely score a try.

They failed to cross the paint in an 80 minutes of rugby league that will best be left out of the history books.

Latrell Mitchell scored a try in the fourth minute of the game and the scoreboard remained at 6-0 for the next 76 minutes.

The Roosters got close to scoring on two other occasions but couldn’t quite plant the ball down.

As for the Bulldogs, Fox Sports commentator Braith Anasta had to refrain from cursing as he tried to describe their attack.

Matty Johns was being polite when he described the game as “dour”.

The Roosters made 16 errors and completed just 22 of 34 sets, and their ball handling was atrocious.

The Bulldogs let a chance slip to beat one of the premiership favourites.

The following stats are damning 58% completion, more offload, less tackles,less errors, double the penalties ( but then again it was where we got them that mattered) and a shit attack which made the Roosters defence look like the great wall of China. We threw nothing; NOTHING at them all they had to do was tackle and that they did. Hell we could not even punish them when they were down to twelve....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20180701/stats

This says it all I guess...
What an overwhelming report in relation to an underwhelming game.....
THE REPORT

It took the Roosters four minutes to open the scoring.

The try came through Latrell Mitchell, who is making a habit of scoring the first try in games, and the conversion made if 6-0.

The Chooks copped a hit in the 22nd minute when Mitchell was sin binned for holding Kieran Foran back near the tryline.

It was a contentious binning, as Fox Sports commentators pointed out Foran was certainly no certainty of scoring the try.

Neither side could score again before the break.

Nothing was going the Roosters’ way when they came back from half time.

Ryan Matterson crossed the tryline but was held up but the Dogs defence, and then they lost captain Jake Friend who suffered a nasty gash on top of his head.

The remainder of the game was a comedy of errors as neither side wanted to hold onto the ball.

The final siren sounded with the scoreboard still at 6-0.

Now that I have that off my chest, time to get ready for next week, another Friday night game...thankfully not at 6pm, but away from home..These Thursday and the early Friday games are killing my season tickets...just too damn hard to get to......thanks Todd and Co....

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They were showing highlights of the 2004 grand final prior to kick off. This team is a far cry from that.

We need the excitement back for our own sanity. It's been 3 years of a decline at this club and it looks like it's continuing.
In 2004 we had had the same side and coach for years, id be shocked if were near as good as then now

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Considering we can defend like that, which is the only positive sign, it’s very concerning that we can’t even get 1 try with all the back to back opportunities in thier goal line, we had the rub of the green! If they spent all that time on our goal line it would of been a cricket score .. at one point it was 70% 30% of the ball with us, they couldn’t even complete thier sets!!! We we’re actually wining everything!!

One bloody try is all was needed . I got no words for it , an to be honest the loss didn’t even suprise me.. sort of what we have come to expect. Cowboys had a crap game an made all us doggs supporters think something good may be on the cards.

Tough times lads, can’t see anymore than 2 or 3 wins from the rest of the season! Unless drastic change takes place. And that’s being generous.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
This team isn't the 2004's teams asshole. Poor Steve Price had to sit there and watch what his legacy had become- nothing more than a under 4's side. When is the club going to wake up and really make proper changes to the roster? Hasn't it copped enough from its fans, commentators and the media?

Seriously.
How exactly have the new coach and board had any chance yet to change any personel?We have no cap space this year. Its not supercoach

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The commentators were taking the piss about our attack

Embarrassing

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defended well but, stating the obvious, the attack was woeful. It seemed to be based on the plan that if Souths tore through their middle last week we will do the same this week. End of plan.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On a positive; I am a glass half full person and if the Cows only win by 16 points and the Sharks get beaten by 16 points we can catapult to 13th place...AND if all that happens and Manly get thrashed by Parramatta ( at least 47) we can go to 12th!!!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
On a positive; I am a glass half full person and if the Cows only win by 16 points and the Sharks get beaten by 16 points we can catapult to 13th place...AND if all that happens and Manly get thrashed by Parramatta ( at least 47) we can go to 12th!!!!
Not sure about your glass but you might be after all that....:grinning::grinning:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure about your glass but you might be after all that....:grinning::grinning:

Not an alcoholic glass Oatley Dog...lol...but yeah I live in hope. I had a four hour car trip to stew on that....;);););)

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not an alcoholic glass Oatley Dog...lol...but yeah I live in hope. I had a four hour car trip to stew on that....;);););)
Ouch....You know I only had about a 30 min drive and I left happy with the effort, although annoyed at the result. I genuinely think games like that can be the platform for a good season. As long as we didn't get any injuries from the game and they continue to play with that level of energy we will be OK. I haven't seen two teams that shot after the fulltime hooter since an origin war years ago. Every player on the field was on their haunches. Both sides gave it everything...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Obviously you don't understand that we don't have the players to implement an attack.

Thats about the only sensible thing you have said. And Pay inherited this team. Blame someone else.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Considering we can defend like that, which is the only positive sign, it’s very concerning that we can’t even get 1 try with all the back to back opportunities in thier goal line, we had the rub of the green! If they spent all that time on our goal line it would of been a cricket score .. at one point it was 70% 30% of the ball with us, they couldn’t even complete thier sets!!! We we’re actually wining everything!!

One bloody try is all was needed . I got no words for it , an to be honest the loss didn’t even suprise me.. sort of what we have come to expect. Cowboys had a crap game an made all us doggs supporters think something good may be on the cards.

Tough times lads, can’t see anymore than 2 or 3 wins from the rest of the season! Unless drastic change takes place. And that’s being generous.
The Kennel is starting to work its magic on you. Keep the faith mate.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Kennel is starting to work its magic on you. Keep the faith mate.
Always do brother , I am the faith lol !! If you read all my other posts, I’m actually the positive one haha.

Cheers for your feedback though haz :grinning:

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Always do brother , I am the faith lol !! If you read all my other posts, I’m actually the positive one haha.

Cheers for your feedback though haz :grinning:
I know you are. Thats' what im getting at dont get to negative your positivity is refreshing in this place.

Born&BredABulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The game last night never rose to any great heights. Honestly if it had been a reversal of score let me tell you that I would not have been in anyway excited at the win. We were shit but the Roosters were even more so. Either side would have been comprehensively beaten by the competition big boys on the efforts shown. Games like the one we saw at ANZ last night are ones you don't want to see every week simply because they may be close but not engaging in the least. I was tipping a win by our boys by 8 last night but alas not to be.

The intensity of the previous week was missing, but once again we had a short turnaround and a long trip home against a side that had a 7 day turnaround; ironically the same applied in Round 2 this year.

Yes it had some great defence by some of our players but they had to be good because stupid errors and slack turnovers on the last made us a good target for Roosters. Our attack was absolutely pathetic and it was like watching the plan A only play of last year. Hit the side of Ferguson and co each and every time and each and every time they had our measure. The one and only time the ball is shifted out to Montoya....he drops it..... I groaned in frustration at the effort of Fualalo who on having the opportunity to make a run at the try line simply tucked the ball in tight and strolled towards the Roosters try line. No oomph no intensity.We did have a scoring opportunity in the second half but no ball was shifted out to an unmarked Morris who pretty much would have planted the ball down albeit in the corner but over the line nevertheless.

The thing that disturbs one is we are not going to get any type of roster improvement soon, so the guys we have will have to step up and change their spots and completely recreate themselves. Can they do it.....only time will tell, but I am under no illusions that we will even go close to making the eight this year......... but then again a lot of the so called experts had that happening anyway.... we are nothing better than also rans in the opinion of most. Just need to ride it out and keep supporting them but by gee, they are making that very hard.

The game deserved no more than the 11309 that turned up........what a poor crowd...but then I guess all round by the NRL it was a poor effort. MR Greenberg asks us to embrace the game and enjoy the game day experience..well if the best on offer is watching two dozen security guards standing in the middle of the field for 90 minutes prior to kick off he has got to be kidding. You may say that the club has to be answerable too but when you have NO lower grade game in support and the gates open at 6.30 pm an hour and a half before first grade kick off it really makes you ask 'Why bother'????????

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20180701/match-report

THE Roosters may not play a worse game of footy in 2018 than they did on Thursday night ... and still they beat Canterbury.
The dire Bulldogs proved new coach Dean Pay has done nothing to fix their dismal attack as they lost 6-0 in an ugly affair at ANZ Stadium.

Des Hasler was ultimately sacked by the proud Belmore club because the team’s performance inside their attacking 20 metres had deteriorated so badly in the space of 18 months.

They brought in a new coach, shifted Moses Mbye to fullback and ditched Josh Reynolds.

And still the Bulldogs can barely score a try.

They failed to cross the paint in an 80 minutes of rugby league that will best be left out of the history books.

Latrell Mitchell scored a try in the fourth minute of the game and the scoreboard remained at 6-0 for the next 76 minutes.

The Roosters got close to scoring on two other occasions but couldn’t quite plant the ball down.

As for the Bulldogs, Fox Sports commentator Braith Anasta had to refrain from cursing as he tried to describe their attack.

Matty Johns was being polite when he described the game as “dour”.

The Roosters made 16 errors and completed just 22 of 34 sets, and their ball handling was atrocious.

The Bulldogs let a chance slip to beat one of the premiership favourites.

The following stats are damning 58% completion, more offload, less tackles,less errors, double the penalties ( but then again it was where we got them that mattered) and a shit attack which made the Roosters defence look like the great wall of China. We threw nothing; NOTHING at them all they had to do was tackle and that they did. Hell we could not even punish them when they were down to twelve....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20180701/stats

This says it all I guess...
What an overwhelming report in relation to an underwhelming game.....
THE REPORT

It took the Roosters four minutes to open the scoring.

The try came through Latrell Mitchell, who is making a habit of scoring the first try in games, and the conversion made if 6-0.

The Chooks copped a hit in the 22nd minute when Mitchell was sin binned for holding Kieran Foran back near the tryline.

It was a contentious binning, as Fox Sports commentators pointed out Foran was certainly no certainty of scoring the try.

Neither side could score again before the break.

Nothing was going the Roosters’ way when they came back from half time.

Ryan Matterson crossed the tryline but was held up but the Dogs defence, and then they lost captain Jake Friend who suffered a nasty gash on top of his head.

The remainder of the game was a comedy of errors as neither side wanted to hold onto the ball.

The final siren sounded with the scoreboard still at 6-0.

Now that I have that off my chest, time to get ready for next week, another Friday night game...thankfully not at 6pm, but away from home..These Thursday and the early Friday games are killing my season tickets...just too damn hard to get to......thanks Todd and Co....
Someone who knows what they are talking about, good post. Everyone can keep enjoying lacklustre performances and keep up hope with effort but that doesn’t win a premiership. Defence is important I’ll grant that but Talent, skill and attacking ability is what wins a comp things that the dogs are really missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.