What’s wrong with T Baz?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a fact than a lot of players don't want to come to a club that has been maligned, the fact that we are a basket case present is only one reason why its hard to recruit players. Also players we recruit seem to only be going through the motions.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This is 100% coaching.
This roster is no WHERE NEAR as bad as those post Tinkler Knights teams, yet we are giving up over 30 points a game.
Players should be playing much better than they are.
Barrett as the coach should set the environment for players he has to flourish. Instead they have all gone backwards.
That knights team would have been absolutely decimated under the 6 again rules... They are lucky they were at their lowest then and not now.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Baz is not off the pace. This team is off the pace.
I disagree. Barrett may have been great with attacking flair at Penrith, but we will see how he goes here. Showed a little against the Cowboys, but improving the attack and Coaching a Team is very different. I think he may be in over his head atm. He may grow in to it with the right people behind him. If he can take advise.

Malla

Reaction score
It's great reading comments from people who probably can't even manage a supercoach team talk about how this is a coaching issue.

Fucking flops lol

BloodyDOGS

Waterboy
Reaction score
As a team they are still working it out BUT what i don't get is this, when your at nrl level you should be at the top of your game why because your wages tell us your skill level, but to watch the doggies tell me we far off the mark...

Mack

Waterboy
Reaction score
I cant work out how people can say we have a lot better roster than last year. We replaced Tolman for Heth. Thats a lot of experience lost. Is he better, in the future absolutely, but hes only young. We replaced Foz with Flanno. Again alot of experience lost. Flanno is not the finished product yet, no where near it. Foz was, and need i remind people he was our one and only attacking threat last year towards the end of the year when people saying we supposedly played much better. Allen again is only young, with not much fg experience. So the only real upgrade i see currantly is Cotric, A winger, not sure how he was gonna make a huge diff atm. We also have RFM, Meany, Jackson, JMK, Oky (am i missing anyone) all injured who id say would all nearly be in our starting side. We all say drop players and play youth for the future. What do u think Flanno, Avo, Allen, Topine, Hetho are, yet we critisize them and want them replaced too. Let the team develop, let the coach develop, replacing coaches every 6 months aint gonna help anyone.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I cant work out how people can say we have a lot better roster than last year. We replaced Tolman for Heth. Thats a lot of experience lost. Is he better, in the future absolutely, but hes only young. We replaced Foz with Flanno. Again alot of experience lost. Flanno is not the finished product yet, no where near it. Foz was, and need i remind people he was our one and only attacking threat last year towards the end of the year when people saying we supposedly played much better. Allen again is only young, with not much fg experience. So the only real upgrade i see currantly is Cotric, A winger, not sure how he was gonna make a huge diff atm. We also have RFM, Meany, Jackson, JMK, Oky (am i missing anyone) all injured who id say would all nearly be in our starting side. We all say drop players and play youth for the future. What do u think Flanno, Avo, Allen, Topine, Hetho are, yet we critisize them and want them replaced too. Let the team develop, let the coach develop, replacing coaches every 6 months aint gonna help anyone.
Spot on Mack
But the experts on here have to get a reaction right or wrong so they dribble on with so much crap, not knowledge.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as im not liking Barrett especially for bringing Hetherington and that useless prick Wadell, he also brought in the most useless half since Lachlan lewis over to the club.

So many times over and over in all 6 games Flanagan has no vision. Doesn't link well with outside backs. Pretty much runs sideways then turns ball back into a useless prop. His last tackle kicks are pure shit...

There is no cohesion in the team at all. We look more dangerous when Dwz and other players do simple hitups. Its only time they see the ball.

We should have beaten Broncos and we sure as shit should have won yesterday. If we don't fix this glaring issue, how the fcuk is Burton going to get good quality ball. Averillo is suffering big time outside Flanno.

If roosters replaced him for 2 teenagers then that sure as shit is telling you something about him
I thought I saw something good with Flanagan in the 1st game against Newcastle but since then agree with you. The halves don't link with the outside backs, there is no early ball and as a result we are easy pickings for the defence.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll apply blame to most of those at the club in coaching and playing ranks alike. Our attack at stages has been pretty decent, but peppered in amongst that are some bad decisions and stupid errors to shoot ourselves in the foot. Our defense has been very poor too. We don't look to have any kind of cohesion on the tryline. I quite often see gaps you could drive a truck through and we tend to lack the intelligence to compress to close these gaps. Then on top of that we've still got some inexperienced players trying to rush off the line when it's clearly a bad idea when defending a metre or two out.

So while it's partially on Barrett and the other coaching staff to try and sort all of these issues out, it's also on the players to implement what they're taught. Somewhere along the line this isn't happening. Barrett has the chance to try recruiting smarter players that might be able to implement what he wants. But if he doesn't show massive improvements with his own roster by the end of 2022 I think he'll be under immense pressure.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are defending him rightly so it’s only 6 rounds in. But I’m on the other side of the fence. It’s taken me 3 rounds to realise the guy is pretty much all talk. He is more of a mate then a coach to players hence why they like him. If that stance works? Time will tell.
But I just think he is way out of his depth. He is still to young for any of the young boys to take him seriously.... when we fell to 12 men against cows we looked a lot better in every aspect of the game.
for me we have the cattle to be playing a lot better and even win couple of game’s so far but I just think the players are not playing for him. Attitude and motivation and confidence isn’t there and that stems down to the coach.
Maybe being a front rower in our team and having furgo running the show doesn’t bring much confidence cause if I was playing and had furgo as my half I would also be unmotivated! (Just kidding) all I’m saying is a lot of things I have seen so far is very questionable starting from picking the right players every week.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are defending him rightly so it’s only 6 rounds in. But I’m on the other side of the fence. It’s taken me 3 rounds to realise the guy is pretty much all talk. He is more of a mate then a coach to players hence why they like him. If that stance works? Time will tell.
But I just think he is way out of his depth. He is still to young for any of the young boys to take him seriously.... when we fell to 12 men against cows we looked a lot better in every aspect of the game.
for me we have the cattle to be playing a lot better and even win couple of game’s so far but I just think the players are not playing for him. Attitude and motivation and confidence isn’t there and that stems down to the coach.
Maybe being a front rower in our team and having furgo running the show doesn’t bring much confidence cause if I was playing and had furgo as my half I would also be unmotivated! (Just kidding) all I’m saying is a lot of things I have seen so far is very questionable starting from picking the right players every week.
The coach? Or the fact that thier playing careers are over after this year?
Most of the players we do not re sign will not get another offer from other clubs and they know it.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coach? Or the fact that thier playing careers are over after this year?
Most of the players we do not re sign will not get another offer from other clubs and they know it.
Wouldnt you try and play out if your skin to get a new contract? Doesn’t make sense to me.

also if that’s the case just replace them with anyone next year like who cares about results anymore if that’s the case. Bring up players in Mounties abd give them some time in grade

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt you try and play out if your skin to get a new contract? Doesn’t make sense to me.

also if that’s the case just replace them with anyone next year like who cares about results anymore if that’s the case. Bring up players in Mounties abd give them some time in grade
I agree with you on the playing for a contract.
You can't blame the coach. For them not playing to get a new contract.

As we all know we cant just pick and choose who we replace willy nilly. Thanks to the top 30.

This is the reason why Deitz is only used when we have injuries and he can get a pass to replace the hooker. Hence Deitz replacing Topine.

An example. Unless hoppa gets injured we cant just drop him to reggies and replace him
In saying all of this. Round 11 things chanhe if i understand it correctly.
Maybe then we will see some team changes

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think about it, these players have had to endure 4 different coaches in Des, Dean, Georgallis and now Barrett.

You can only imagine the adjustments they have had to go through within these times. All the game plan changes, alternating different structures, going through a lot of changes from the top to trainers etc.

These boys are probably sick of the bullshit that’s been happening at this so called one of the best clubs in history. It’s been f***d up for the last 5 years.

The top teams like Melbourne, Roosters, Canberra, have had the luxury of having great careered coaches. If Wayne Bennet came to doggies with the same roster I don’t think it would be this bad? Dean Pay wasn’t a top experienced coach nor is Barrett both who have been under the wing of brilliant coaches.

Des is a different story but he did get a team into a GF. I do feel for these boys because no one is giving them any sort of direction. You look at Remis Smith, he has improved a lot and that is the work of Bellamy.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, so this is mine. Peace out
Remis Smith has improved a lot? get fucked he was putrid last week!

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree. Barrett may have been great with attacking flair at Penrith, but we will see how he goes here. Showed a little against the Cowboys, but improving the attack and Coaching a Team is very different. I think he may be in over his head atm. He may grow in to it with the right people behind him. If he can take advise.
Mate any chance you can change your name very close to mine

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
As far as I see things. Barrett is trying to make the bulldogs play with the expansive play the panthers do. He just hasn’t got the talent.

I do like he is setting the bar high. And for most of the players who have been in this squad. That’s how it feels. Too high bar to achieve.

as long as the bulldogs keep getting blokes who are coming out of successful setups like the panthers. We will hopefully we start seeing these players get it.

And next year we are competing. Honestly that all comes down to getting a hooker

Last edited:

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep, nothing to lose. Just let them play what's in front of them and see what they can do.
Yep that’s the way to go....When they played like that at end of 2019 they surprised everyone beating all the top ranked teams!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a team they are still working it out BUT what i don't get is this, when your at nrl level you should be at the top of your game why because your wages tell us your skill level, but to watch the doggies tell me we far off the mark...
Our old timers arent NRL level or certainly not worth the coin they're on. I believe Jacko tries his guts out, just has zero impact now.
We bought some cheapy reserve grade quality along the way. I dont think anyone of quality in their right mind would have wanted to come here last couple of years unless we payed massive overs which we didnt have. We supposedly payed DWZ big$$ and whats he worth, $400-450K if he played like he did the last 2 weeks? We also blooded reserve graders out of necessity cause we had no depth.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I suspect as others have said he’s narrow minded in his approach to how we should play.
Look at the way Bennet coaches, its supposedly very simple, he gets the players enjoying their footy and encourages them to be good people off the field.
Then they just go out and play a simple game and their talent does the work.

Whereas I think Barret is very structured and it hasn’t worked as yet.
It might once they get use to his way of playing.

Plus our roster isn’t very good but as you say we played better the last few years with players that “aren’t as good”