News We've got to change: NRL CEO Todd Greenberg

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
'We've got to change': NRL CEO Todd Greenberg floats idea of relocation to secure future of rugby league

By George Vlotis

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/todd-g...ow/ab5cfbff-dfe1-4d00-a483-2cb52c842cb9#close

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has floated the unpopular idea of relocating existing franchises in order to secure the future of rugby league in Australia.

Expansion of the code’s 16 teams has long been a suggested avenue to strengthen the game’s longevity but Greenberg asserted the tougher question of relocation had to be considered.

Speaking on Nine’s 100% Footy, the NRL chief insisted the game had to be “brave enough to change” and have an “adult conversation” about the very real possibility of a vastly different looking league within five years.

"If we’re going to grow we’ve got to change," Greenberg said

“We need to play in more areas. The more areas you play in the more times you expose new people to the game, the more the game is going to grow.

“Whether It be expansion, or it could mean are we prepared to look at the geography and footprint of the sport?

“I’m not sure if we’re going to have more teams, and if we have more teams we have to have, in my view, two more because we've got to create another game. Do we have the depth of talent to bring two more teams in? I’m not sure if i can answer that question.”

"And if it is the same number of 16, are they going to be in different parts of the country? I think to extract more value, they're going to have to be."

Greenberg hailed the decision to play an Origin fixture in Perth this season and hinted at a possible relocation plan in Brisbane that he claimed, along with other possibilities, was an avenue that was “open in my book” ahead of his submission to the ARLC in the next 12 months.

“Why don’t we play more games in Perth? Is Brisbane ready for a game every weekend, not every second?”

“That either means another team in Brisbane, or we’re going to move someone to Brisbane, we’re going to open up a new franchise in Brisbane – these are all open questions in my book at the moment and I’m going to have to answer them in the next 12 months.

Greenberg also conceded that keeping children participating in traditional Rugby League was the most pressing issue facing the game, and argued the league had to consider amalgamating non-contact versions of the game into its youth programs.

“It’s a massive challenge for us keeping kids, boys and girls, playing traditional rugby league,” he said.

“Onto of that we have this unbelievable opportunity for non-contact versions of rugby league.

“There are 600,00 boys and girls who play touch footy, in five years if I crystal ball it, it will be a million.

“They’re non-contact versions of the sport, they’re all parts of the base (of Rugby League) so we have to be very open on our strategy around participation and getting as many people to play as we can.”

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fair dinkum this guy is a knob jockey. Hes not happy unless hes trying to change something. Hes like a mad professor

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we will end up with a less balanced, less fair competition which can only come about with teams playing each other twice, in a true home and away situation, rather than the lottery we have now where some teams get a more favourable draw than others because they play the more fancied teams only once instead of others who play them twice.

A decision also has to be made on the interminable representative games played throughout the season where we now have a twenty five round competition with one of those rounds being a bye tailored to suit SOO which is just a glorified money spinner for the NRL.

The talent pool is already pretty much diluted with the have and have nots regarding real quality players so how can we realistically think that there are another 34 players of NRL standard to make another two teams competitive?

Change, change , change whether it be on field or off field rules made for the sake of doing so. What about giving us back the game that we all started following based on the wants of us the fans. No, instead it is knee jerk reaction after knee jerk reaction by guys who never played the game and are simply glorified business man, one of them who did not even know that Laurie Nicholls was deceased and in the past that the Sharks were Cronulla or he believed the Newcastle jersey was indeed that of Barcelona a premier soccer club.

Last edited:

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only have to look at our backline and the Cowboys backline on the weekend to see there is no where near the amount of depth required for expansion.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with him, we've got to change, we've got to change Greenberg!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Move the Sharks to Perth
2. Move the Tigers to Brisbane
3. Merge Parra and Penrith
4. Send a new team to SA

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Move the Sharks to Perth
2. Move the Tigers to Brisbane
3. Merge Parra and Penrith
4. Send a new team to SA
Why would Penrith merge with parra
Ya merge weak financial teams not Penrith

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How about they change by investing in grass roots football. The depth of talent has dropped off because it's unsustainable for many teams to field sides in some areas. If it's a cash grab for the NRL they're balls deep in moments. If it means spending money to support the game it's not such an attractive idea for them.

The current heads of the game are a blight on it. I don't know who should replace them, but they really need to be shown the door. They have no idea what the game needs, so they try change for the sake of looking like they're doing something.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How about they change by investing in grass roots football. The depth of talent has dropped off because it's unsustainable for many teams to field sides in some areas. If it's a cash grab for the NRL they're balls deep in moments. If it means spending money to support the game it's not such an attractive idea for them.

The current heads of the game are a blight on it. I don't know who should replace them, but they really need to be shown the door. They have no idea what the game needs, so they try change for the sake of looking like they're doing something.
Yep junior footy outside of Sydney is dying to the point where age groups have to be merged to get enough number or they need to travel hundreds of km’s for games

It’s not the off field issues or injury risk cutting back numbers, it’s that they can’t get referees for matches, they can’t get coaches because the NRL has taken over everything and requires these people to jump through too many hoops getting all the certificates needed, even the trainers need to do this many don’t have the time to attend all these courses

Clubs are also struggling for funding.... none of the record TV deal money makes it out of the big cities to the grass roots

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first step to the game being officially killed. Can’t wait. Hopefully it’s manly or saints (one of those clubs who can’t sustain themselves). Be hilarious seeing the reactions

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like the TV stations have asked for teams in WA/SA. They are the ones that drive the change.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perth should have had a team ten years ago. The NRL are so blindsided it's not funny. Move the Gold Coast to Brisbane and there is your second Brisbane team.

The Gold Coast offer nothing to the comp, are propped up by the NRL and always get horrible crowds..

Anyway, Greenberg has to go this minute. The more he talks, the dumber he sounds. He thinks he's being so clever when he's talking but he just talks in cliches and stumbles on so many sayings that it's comedic.