News Wests Tigers salary cap shock

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Brooks would be good for us, even better if Tigers are paying us.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would be out of character for me to not remind people that news corp wouldn't know shit from chocolate. And that this is another "news corp can reveal" article with no direct quotes from anyone.

They might have heard rumours of the four players mentioned being given permission to negotiate, but I'd assume that the guess of $300,000 in salary cap space is pure speculation.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we could get Brooks for 400k to replace Foran then I'd be happy with that. He's worth the risk at that price and think Barrett could get the best out of him. Hopefully we can sign Burton too as he should be the main target.

Still, if any club takes on those players, that gives them money to chase Grant so maybe we should wait as long as possible to find out what happens with Grant/B.Smith before helping the Tigers with their cap situation.
Brooks is a genuine half that we have lacked for too long

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This takes me back to the time Keary left the Rabbits and Moses left the Tigers... Brooks' talent is massive, we need to sign him.
I always rated Keary higher, but it is a similar type of feeling. Brooks has a lot of the skill and can handle the physical nature of the NRL, just a matter of him needing a change, some guidance and building his confidence again. This is supposedly what Baz does, you would think we would be all over this especially if we can get Tigers paying some of the wage.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always rated Keary higher, but it is a similar type of feeling. Brooks has a lot of the skill and can handle the physical nature of the NRL, just a matter of him needing a change, some guidance and building his confidence again. This is supposedly what Baz does, you would think we would be all over this especially if we can get Tigers paying some of the wage.
If the option is keeping Foran or signing Brooks then we should be taking Brooks. He has more long term upside without the injury riddled baggage.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If the option is keeping Foran or signing Brooks then we should be taking Brooks. He has more long term upside without the injury riddled baggage.
Yh I'd take Brooks over Foran for sure, especially if we can get Brooks under 450k with the Tigers paying the rest. It is a bit depressing though seeing us spend 600k+ on all these other players and then hitting the bargain bin for the spine lol.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually feel a bit sorry for the Tigers, they like us not only have trouble signing players of quality for the right price, but they also get pillaged of the ones they develop even more than us, Tedesco, Moses. All our and Tigers problems are a product of the Rotters owning CH9 and hence the NRL.
There was talk of a Private Equity Firm buying into the NRL on Fox only a week or two ago, I don't know what they were or are planning. But I just hope and pray that it might led to some other group taking control of the game, or at least cause some major changes to the current NRL structure.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually feel a bit sorry for the Tigers, they like us not only have trouble signing players of quality for the right price, but they also get pillaged of the ones they develop even more than us, Tedesco, Moses. All our and Tigers problems are a product of the Rotters owning CH9 and hence the NRL.
There was talk of a Private Equity Firm buying into the NRL on Fox only a week or two ago, I don't know what they were or are planning. But I just hope and pray that it might led to some other group taking control of the game, or at least cause some major changes to the current NRL structure.
The QRL already stated they will never vote in favour of PE investment. They and NSWRL have to agree to it for it to go any further. It’s dead in the water for now. I reckon it would be bad for the game anyway.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tigers/McGuire signed multiple players going into this season knowing what they already had on their books. They've assumed they'd be able to offload multiple players for more than half their contract. The Tigers are F'd if they aren't able to afford a top hooker as well.

Malla

Reaction score
Are a mess and you have to look at the way Ivan even constructed that team. He put them in that position.

They have one of the best junior footy areas in all of NSW, they should not be getting it this wrong. Does not make sense.

Brooks would be great tho!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of players say Maguire is an asshole. Micro manages everything and zaps young players confidence.... I think he would be a good origin coach but doesn't seem like the guy to develop and nurture the youth coming through.
I'm glad he said no to us. Highly unlikely a high profile coach like Maguire gets sacked after 3yrs so we could've been in for a long ride

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're going into 21 with Lewis and Wakeham as the only halves signed. If the tigers pay half of Brooks salary then why not.

Foran has already knocked back $400k and who knows how many games he'll end up playing, he himself said he's only one major injury away from retirement. Brooks at $300k on a 2 year deal looks like a far better investment. I'd say the chances of Burton being released early are very slim so there's not too many options.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is any substance to this we cannot fuck around. It so rare a half with the talent ceiling Brooks has becomes available at his age and Barrett is the perfect coach for a developing half. Don't screw this up