News Wests Tigers salary cap shock

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wests Tigers will have just $300,000 to spend next year should the club fail in a bid to offload one of four highly paid players that are in the firing line.
In a revelation which exposes the true and shocking state of the salary cap inherited by Michael Maguire, the Tigers will only be able to add two minimum wage players to their struggling squad unless they can free up cap cash by releasing either Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks, Russell Packer or Moses Mbye.

News Corp can reveal the Tigers are just $300,000 away from reaching next year’s $9.9 million salary and still have three spots on their 30-man roster to fill.

With the Tigers set to start next season without a significant signing, Mbye this week joined Reynolds, Brooks and Packer when he was added to the Tigers’ fire sale.

Signed on an $815,000 a year-deal, Mbye has already been linked to the Gold Coast in a move that would, at the very least, give the Tigers enough cash to fill their NRL squad.

The Tigers would have to offload at least one more big-money player before even thinking about signing a marquee.

Reynolds ($850,000), Packer ($750,000) and Brooks ($600,000) are the three other players on the unofficial ‘let-go’ list.

While the quartet haven’t been formally shopped to rival clubs or told to look for a new deal, the Tigers will not stop the players from talking to rival clubs, nor stand in their way should they be able to strike a deal.

Locked in a desperate fight to make the eight after a crushing loss to Newcastle on Saturday night, the Tigers are facing the prospect of starting next season with what could be a weaker 30-man squad than what they have this year.

Set to send loan sensation Harry Grant back to Melbourne, the Tigers have signed Shawn Blore (Panthers), Asu Kepaoa (Roosters) and Sefano Utaikamanu (Eels) for next year.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brooks is there for the taking and even if the Tigers only chip in 100k, it would be a great deal for us. It was less than two years ago that he was halfback of the year and 2nd in the Dally M race.

2021:
6. Foran
7. Brooks

2022:
6. Burton
7. Brooks

Those are two combinations I can get behind.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brooks is there for the taking and even if the Tigers only chip in 100k, it would be a great deal for us. It was less than two years ago that he was halfback of the year and 2nd in the Dally M race.

2021:
6. Foran
7. Brooks

2022:
6. Burton
7. Brooks

Those are two combinations I cant get behind.
spot on

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to say whether Brooks has never reached his potential or if he's really not that great. But I'd be willing to see us take a punt on him if he came at a decent price.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
This article doesn’t make sense. Wasn’t the narrative for so long that Maguire turned down the Dogs job because of the state of our salary cap?
Yep, Madge gave us a hard pass when he seen our books but low and behold, look what scenario he finds himself in now. Dogs are about to make moves going forward, Tigers are going to go backwards.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Madge gave us a hard pass when he seen our books but low and behold, look what scenario he finds himself in now. Dogs are about to make moves going forward, Tigers are going to go backwards.
Also how were they going to afford Mitchell? Is Raelene doing their books now too? It was reported that they offered him $1m a season which they obviously couldn’t afford

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think first 2 signings need to be

Pangai, burton, b Smith/starling.

Then if there is money I’d talk to brooks for 400/500k.

If Foran doesn’t 400k go to brooks.

No one in there right mind touches packer Mbye or Reynolds. Tigers are ficked

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gee they are a mess and have been for years .I reckon the person in charge of their cap is around six years of age..Rather like a kid in a candy shop wanting a particular sweet and being willing to pay whatever it costs to have it. When they signed both Reynolds and Mbye from us and the salary being quoted, I knew then that their cap was not being well managed. Lost some rather decent players over the years, just like us due to cap mismanagement. I hope no one helps therm out by taking players off their books so they can sign more

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we could get Brooks for 400k to replace Foran then I'd be happy with that. He's worth the risk at that price and think Barrett could get the best out of him. Hopefully we can sign Burton too as he should be the main target.

Still, if any club takes on those players, that gives them money to chase Grant so maybe we should wait as long as possible to find out what happens with Grant/B.Smith before helping the Tigers with their cap situation.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we could get Brooks for 400k to replace Foran then I'd be happy with that. He's worth the risk at that price and think Barrett could get the best out of him. Hopefully we can sign Burton too as he should be the main target.

Still, if any club takes on those players, that gives them money to chase Grant so maybe we should wait as long as possible to find out what happens with Grant/B.Smith before helping the Tigers with their cap situation.
Brooks also has a big left foot and dogs fans LOVE a big left foot :tearsofjoy: