Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

We'll wipe away your smile

By Dean Richie

February 15, 2007
Article from:

THE angry Gold Coast Titans last night promised winger Steve Turner a "bit of grief" this weekend in what could be the most hostile trial match in years.

Tensions will be high when Turner lines up for the Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbor on Saturday night against the team he flatly rejected.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said Turner could look forward to "a bit of treatment''.
But Storm coach Craig Bellamy fired back, saying: "It's easy for a bloke (Searle) not playing to say these things.''

Turner feared he would be forced to sit out the season after a public six-month stand-off with the Titans, the club that he initially agreed to join before declaring his desire to stay in Melbourne.

Turner, 22, yesterday admitted he was nervous in the lead-up to Saturday, saying: "I know there's been some talk ... they can't wait to play me. I'm not quite sure what to expect.

"I just hope whatever happens on the field stays on the field and we can all get on with life.

"I'm just extremely grateful to the Titans and the Storm for getting the chance to play in the NRL this season.''

But Searle said many Gold Coast fans remained bitter that Turner failed to honour his Titans contract.

The Titans boss said his players had not forgotten the drama either. "Rugby league is fairly emotional - some fans may feel the need to (taunt Turner),'' Searle said.

"I'm sure Steve will expect that. The match is being played in our catchment area (Coffs Harbour) rather than at home.

"It would have been more vocal had the match been played on the Gold Coast.

"He might yet get off scot-free from the fans, but he may get a bit of treatment from our players.

"I'm sure he'll cop a bit of grief. Our boys might give Steve a bit of a razz.''

Bellamy was angered by Searle's comments and questioned Gold Coast's motives.

"They can go as hard as they like,'' Bellamy said.

"If that's the way they want to go, so be it. It won't help their football.''

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said his players were ready to support Turner on the field.

"Our players will be ready to support Steve,'' Waldron said. "It won't worry Steve.

"He accepts it. I'm sure the Gold Coast will give him some come-uppance for choosing to stay in Melbourne.''

The tug of war for Turner finally ended last month when the Titans agreed to release the player from his three-year Gold Coast deal in exchange for two junior players - Smith Samau, who will play for the Titans on Saturday night, and Daniel Isaac.

something tells me, he is going to get hammered.

Starrdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So do I. I can also see him struggling to stay in 1st grade this year.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dudtans need to STFU. How are you going to smash him? With that hot 'forward pack' of yours.

Let's see you have ummmm Brad Meyers. He was good 40 years ago. Who else? Ummmm Luke Bailey, he should do well carrying your whole 'forward pack' Who else? Lawankie, he did well when Marshall was injured.

Fu*king duds.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
Dudtans need to STFU. How are you going to smash him? With that hot 'forward pack' of yours.

Let's see you have ummmm Brad Meyers. He was good 40 years ago. Who else? Ummmm Luke Bailey, he should do well carrying your whole 'forward pack' Who else? Lawankie, he did well when Marshall was injured.

Fu*king duds.
Lawankie bahahahahahaha

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LMFAOOO...

This should be interesting indeed :devil:

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont have to be a good player to belt someone, i hope someone cleans him up

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Anasta and Myles get ripped in two by SBW!

Christabella

Reaction score
While KE makes a point about the lack of strength in the Titans forwards ... Turner got smashed by Matt Bowen last year.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
living on the gold coast and being a dogs through and through..

im so f,ing over the titans,,there like the manopoly of the nrl up here,,
good on you turner,,
finally something didnt go there way..

and i like the way they havent played a game but can get 3 pages in the newspaper up here about how well they gel as a team and how good they are,,

round one will be one of the first times i will actually cheer the dragons

Christabella

Reaction score
and i like the way they havent played a game but can get 3 pages in the newspaper up here about how well they gel as a team and how good they are,,

To give you an idea of how well they gel they are down 12-6 ... their only try scored by Chistine Walker

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
at least they give retiring players a chance to stay in aus instead of going to england then they get over the hill

Christabella

Reaction score
By the sounds of things Turner was smashed on his first hit up but after that he played very well with some line breaks and a saving one certain try.

Status
Not open for further replies.