We'll look after Sonny: Kiwis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
New Zealand officials have moved to assure the Bulldogs they will take no chances with the health of NRL superstar Sonny Bill Williams despite their keenness to pitch him into the Anzac Day Test match.

Williams made his long-awaited return for the Bulldogs in their 26-18 victory over South Sydney on Monday, showing no signs of the knee and foot stress fracture injuries that have sidelined him for 10 months.

Despite lobbying Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes for more game time, Williams played just 25 minutes, with the club keen not to overburden him until he gets his match fitness and confidence back.

The big back rower has been on a modified training program at the Bulldogs to minimise the chances of further injuries, with Folkes saying he wanted to speak to Kiwi coach Brian McClennan about not overworking Williams in training prior to the May 5 Test match.

"Hopefully they'll look after him while he's in camp because he's on a fairly modified program for us and I'd hope they would carry that through," Folkes told Channel 10.

But New Zealand Rugby League chairman Selwyn Bennett assured Folkes the Kiwis would stick to any set training regime for Williams and promised not to play him unless he was fully fit.

"If he is unable to play, we won't play him, simple as that," Bennett said.

"We are not here to ruin him.

"He has got a big future, he's got so much good football in front of him, we don't want an ex-Kiwi at 21, do we?

"The (Anzac) Test is only one of up to six Test we've got this year if we make the (Tri Nations) final ... we've got a heavy program at the end of the season.

"While Sonny Bill will play a part on May 5th if he is fit enough ... there's a lot of football left.

"We'll speak to the Bulldogs ... we've had our little spits in the past but we respect their wishes, he's their asset and we'll look after him."

Bennett pointed to the Kiwis management of Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi and Sydney Roosters flyer Iosia Soliola in last year's series as proof the welfare of the players always came first.

The Kiwis followed a strict training program supplied by the Bulldogs for Asotasi to ensure he didn't aggravate a foot injury, while then-Kiwi doctor Harris Fuard ruled out Soliola despite a clearance from the club.

"We'll never pressure the players to play unless they are right," he said.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
IMO, it's actually very good to see that they are being very easy with this stuff, not just with Sonny, but all the NZ players. It helps with the players wanting to be there and makes them feel better about playing for NZ. I'm also happy they aren't being selfish and are planning to nurture Sonny Bill rather overwork him :grinning:

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
New Zealand we'll obviously always have his best interest at heart. he didnt turn his back on his country like Karmichael Hunt, for example

His important to New Zealand, they we'll porbebly give him abit more game time, then what Folkes would like, thats about it, its all good

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I say get him to fake an injury a week before the test match!

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
well its good to see they will make sure he is okay, im wostly worried about utai playing, because if he comes back round 8 like the site says, chances are he will be named in the New zealand squad, but i guess we just have to wait and see...

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was just trying to find this story and i couldnt find it any where i was glad when it was already posted :p

Bluey & co are a good bunch:grinning: they'll treat him right :D

Status
Not open for further replies.