Welcome head ache for Dean Pay- NRL.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay says he welcomes the selection headaches provided by an impressive trial win by what was essentially a second-string Bulldogs line-up over a near full strength Penrith Panthers at Belmore Sportsground on Saturday night.

The five-tries-to-two thumping featured impressive contributions from playmakers Josh Cleeland, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King and hooker/utility Nu Brown. Kerrod Holland had a strong game at fullback, creating one try with a nice grubber (though he did fumble one bomb with little pressure on him).

Back-up forwards Rhyse Martin, Jayden Okunbor, Francis Tualau and Renouf To'omaga, among others, each contributed well. They were well led by senior lock Greg Eastwood, who also had a strong game and will likely be the only member of Saturday night's winning team to make the 17 for round one.

"It is [a good sign for the depth]," Pay told NRL.com after the 24-10 win.

"There's a number of boys that stood up and got an opportunity and they took it. At the moment it's a nice little headache to have. They're all putting their hands up to make the round one starting team.

"We just wanted to get in the grind and build a game and create a little bit of pressure and make sure we were good with the ball, complete our sets - do the things we want to get done every week."

Pay said he had been content with what his new-look team showed in a win over Canberra last week to give his depth players a run against Penrith.

"Yeah, we've had a really tough pre-season, they're all really fit, the boys have all done a good job," Pay said.

"They've bought in and there's a good vibe around the place at the moment. We head over to Perth [in round one] to play the premiers (Melbourne) and they're a wonderful side. We'll see what happens."

As to whether there are still genuinely spots up for grab in round one, Pay added: "There's a few guys that put their hand up tonight, that's for sure. We'll discuss it and see what we can come up with but there's a real sense of competition for spots here now. That's what we need."

The playmaking contingent for round one is set to be Moses Mbye at fullback, Michael Lichaa at hooker, Kieran Foran and Matt Frawley in the halves while Nu Brown could nab a bench utility role. But the efforts of all the playmakers on Saturday keeps the pressure on everyone, according to Pay.

"Yeah for sure, there's pressure on them all, not just Matty Frawley. Josh Cleeland played well, Jeremy Marshall-King played well, Nu Brown had a really good game. I thought he was really good, Nu Brown. It's going to create a few headaches. He can cover nine and seven, he's got utility value for us."

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ll be in the top 6 this year. Our depth will keep us competitive all year round

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least there are positives now, unlike when Fraudsler was coaching ppl kept praising him for his reputation and previous years results rather than what was actually happening on the field now! Pay looks like a good coach in the making because he can motivate and has so far built a good football culture, something that we never had under Fraudsler! I bet Pay hasn't even spent 10% of the football clubs money compared to Fraudlsers over spending, just goes to show it is NOT about how much money you spent on gps, cameras etc but how you mentor and trust what your players can do!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"Yeah for sure, there's pressure on them all, not just Matty Frawley.
To me that says Matt Frawley has the most pressure on him (given he's the first one named).

Brown took a while to warm to the game. Horrible in the first half and cost us a try after passing the ball a metre forward from dummy half. Second half he was good. However JMK totally outclassed him at hooker.

Its only a trial, lets not get ahead of our selves
For all intents and purpose it may as well have been a round match vs Panthers as they had an entire first grade side.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To me that says Matt Frawley has the most pressure on him (given he's the first one named).

Brown took a while to warm to the game. Horrible in the first half and cost us a try after passing the ball a metre forward from dummy half. Second half he was good. However JMK totally outclassed him at hooker.

For all intents and purpose it may as well have been a round match vs Panthers as they had an entire first grade side.
Not being a pessimist but last I checked we didn't register two points for the season

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i'm happy with the performance and can draw so many positives but waiting for season proper.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least there are positives now, unlike when Fraudsler was coaching ppl kept praising him for his reputation and previous years results rather than what was actually happening on the field now! Pay looks like a good coach in the making because he can motivate and has so far built a good football culture, something that we never had under Fraudsler! I bet Pay hasn't even spent 10% of the football clubs money compared to Fraudlsers over spending, just goes to show it is NOT about how much money you spent on gps, cameras etc but how you mentor and trust what your players can do!
Can you move on. Just enjoy the win and forget about Hasler already. Dwelling on a poor period in our recent years is like holding on to a shit when you have a bellyache. Let it go, you'll feel better after you do.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like Nu Brown has the bench spot ‘utility ‘

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Players competing for spots thank god,was something i could never understand why hasler basically shut the door on that ,totally created complacency

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am loving all the optimism guys after the win.
(A trial mind you)

I am still realistic about our chances this year,
I stick by my comments in an earlier thread where I said I think we will be either just in our just out of the 8 all year.

I want to say,
I think the first **** who says "Sack pay" this year deserves a week banning lol.
and a year supply of kennel ridicule for being a spastic.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am loving all the optimism guys after the win.
(A trial mind you)

I am still realistic about our chances this year,
I stick by my comments in an earlier thread where I said I think we will be either just in our just out of the 8 all year.

I want to say,
I think the first **** who says "Sack pay" this year deserves a week banning lol.
and a year supply of kennel ridicule for being a spastic.
So that makes it 5 in a row including trials lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.