Weddings

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Hello Kennel,

It has been awhile.

I have recently started planning my wedding.

Any tips before we get into the full swing of things? or life advice

We are planning to do something towards the end of this year.

Any reception halls you recommend?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Destination wedding in Cancun!

Reactions: K E

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hello Kennel,

It has been awhile.

Let the missus plan whatever the hell she wants. I didn't care cause the missus has good taste, besides her taste in men clearly. I only chose the food and cars.

Oh, FUCK save the date cards. Absolute waste of money. Pointless bullshit.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Let the missus plan whatever the hell she wants. I didn't care cause the missus has good taste, besides her taste in men clearly. I only chose the food and cars.

Oh, FUCK save the date cards. Absolute waste of money. Pointless bullshit.
Yea 100% not doing the Save the Date thing.. just trying to save money where possible.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea 100% not doing the Save the Date thing.. just trying to save money where possible.
Not too sure what your budget is, none of my business, but some people make/create their own invitations. It's more time consuming but it will save you money.

I told the missus to do that but apparently my last name is Gates...

Honestly, another piece of advice is don't feel obligated to invite people. I'm Assyrian and we have a tradition of inviting people you walked by accidentally once 40 years ago. Our numbers swell to about 800+ people. Fuck that.

Our wedding was Assyrian/Maltese so it would've been huge. Our venue, Doltone House Jones Bay Wharf, only held roughly 130 people so it made our invitation list easier. Had our families and some friends and that was it.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Not too sure what your budget is, none of my business, but some people make/create their own invitations. It's more time consuming but it will save you money.

I told the missus to do that but apparently my last name is Gates...

Honestly, another piece of advice is don't feel obligated to invite people. I'm Assyrian and we have a tradition of inviting people you walked by accidentally once 40 years ago. Our numbers swell to about 800+ people. Fuck that.

Our wedding was Assyrian/Maltese so it would've been huge. Our venue, Doltone House Jones Bay Wharf, only held roughly 130 people so it made our invitation list easier. Had our families and some friends and that was it.
And that is what we are currently struggling with.

You didn't encounter any friendship/family issues afterwards? or you expected some to be upset but thought fk it.. its our wedding day we want close friends and family?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Kennel,
It has been awhile.
First of all congratulations :grinning:

General Tips:
1. Have as much sex as possible now, as once you're hitched it slowly declines as marriage goes on LOL. j/k
2. When organising things remember the "W tax". Mention the word "wedding" and everything mysteriously hikes in price.
3. Try and call in favours and ask friends/family if they know or have links with: photographers, DJ/MC, florist, venue owners, jewelry designers, graphics designers, hair and makeup. Anyone in those industries will save you decent money.
4. If you hold the reception and ceremony at the same place, costs of transportation will be lower. If in same state/area you can get ready at home and her at the venue perhaps.
5. Whatever future wife wants, future wife gets. It's HER dream wedding remember :D
6. Relax and enjoy the day, take everything in and don't stress. That way you'll enjoy yourself more and it'll fly by.
7. BE ORGANISED. The more organised you are the less stressful things are.

We used a program called i-Do Couples Edition (Windows), as well as their other software Tabula Rasa (for seating charts). There is a cloud version but I have no idea how good it is. I'd have happily paid double for the software as it was a godsend. Regularly keeps you updated with things as they approach on a simple screen, and reminds you of milestones (e.g two weeks before call the florist, etc), and allows you to order everything in a way you print it out for wedding planners/venue. Does meal plans, Save the Date stuff, even full budgeting. You can say "I only want to spend $20000 all up", and it'll work with that, and as you add the costs of things in, it'll lower your remaining budget. Or you can say "I want to spent $3000 on the venue", and it'll work with that (and let you know if you are under/over budget), and it goes really in depth. Can't recommend it enough. Even after the wedding you can input what gifts you got from people, send out thank you cards, and everything else. It really is a complete package, and dead simple to use.

Specific Wedding things:
1. Destinations / venues are a very personal thing. Only you two can decide it.
My good mate had a destination wedding (Hamilton Island), as did friends of ours (Fiji). We decided waterfront and had it at Newport Mirage (as we had family/friends from interstate/regional and they could accomodate us all there).
I've been to church weddings, beach weddings, weddings at Stanwell Tops. Destination weddings can be combined with a honeymoon, and also used to cut down numbers to only those you truly want there (but at their potential expense).
2. Decide early if you are having a full theme, partial (mild) theme, or none at all. We had a partial Fijian / tropical island theme due to our honeymoon destination (seating chart was done up with tables named after Fijian islands, wishing well was a treasure chest, and we made a little diorama plaster island with mini figurines of "us" on it).
3. Decide early on if you want kids at the wedding or not.
4. Numbers are a tricky thing. Remember as you increase the amount of people the price goes up and you end up having a situation where "well if we invite the great 4th cousin twice removed on my side, we need to invite the 5th cousin on your side". I think we had about 70 at our wedding and it was a good number. Friends and family and that was it.
5. Video is subjective. I wouldn't bother (personally) as how often will you watch it. It's also a massive cost.
6. I honestly wouldn't bother with cars. Bit of a wank, an unnecessary expense, and really adds nothing to the day. That is unless you reach out and have friends/family (or someone they know) with a nice car.
7. Save the Date cards (etc) need not be expensive, but get organised early if ordering from like VistaPrint/Snap/Etsy/etc.
8. Bonbonnieres are personal things as well, and need not be expensive. Etsy, Ebay, alibaba are all places you can get decent ideas from. You can even make your own. We've got things from lollies in jars, to deckchairs with candles, to salt and pepper shakers, and even stubby coolers.
9. Decorating the venue yourself can cut costs but be VERY time consuming. We just dropped the bonbonnieres ourselves.
10. Depending on your location, you might be able to find nice areas nearby where you can have photos taken. For us we had photos on Warriewood beach as it was nearby. You can scout that out yourself.
11. Decide if you want full sit down meal or buffet. Buffet will be cheaper but full sit down meals are better.
12. Bogans doing burnouts and cultural drums... try to resist the urge.
13. Decide early if you want a pre wedding shoot with your photographer - it can be a nice way to create flow in a wedding photo album.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. If you want to know any specifics re the above (or an opinion to bounce ideas off) just give us a yell.

Reactions: K E

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

You didn't encounter any friendship/family issues afterwards? or you expected some to be upset but thought fk it.. its our wedding day we want close friends and family?
No issues because I'm his brother lol all sorted ;)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
First of all congratulations :grinning:

General Tips:
1. Have as much sex as possible now, as once you're hitched it slowly declines as marriage goes on LOL. j/k
2. When organising things remember the "W tax". Mention the word "wedding" and everything mysteriously hikes in price.
3. Try and call in favours and ask friends/family if they know or have links with: photographers, DJ/MC, florist, venue owners, jewelry designers, graphics designers, hair and makeup. Anyone in those industries will save you decent money.
4. If you hold the reception and ceremony at the same place, costs of transportation will be lower. If in same state/area you can get ready at home and her at the venue perhaps.
5. Whatever future wife wants, future wife gets. It's HER dream wedding remember :D
6. Relax and enjoy the day, take everything in and don't stress. That way you'll enjoy yourself more and it'll fly by.
7. BE ORGANISED. The more organised you are the less stressful things are.

We used a program called i-Do Couples Edition (Windows), as well as their other software Tabula Rasa (for seating charts). There is a cloud version but I have no idea how good it is. I'd have happily paid double for the software as it was a godsend. Regularly keeps you updated with things as they approach on a simple screen, and reminds you of milestones (e.g two weeks before call the florist, etc), and allows you to order everything in a way you print it out for wedding planners/venue. Does meal plans, Save the Date stuff, even full budgeting. You can say "I only want to spend $20000 all up", and it'll work with that, and as you add the costs of things in, it'll lower your remaining budget. Or you can say "I want to spent $3000 on the venue", and it'll work with that (and let you know if you are under/over budget), and it goes really in depth. Can't recommend it enough. Even after the wedding you can input what gifts you got from people, send out thank you cards, and everything else. It really is a complete package, and dead simple to use.

Specific Wedding things:
1. Destinations / venues are a very personal thing. Only you two can decide it.
My good mate had a destination wedding (Hamilton Island), as did friends of ours (Fiji). We decided waterfront and had it at Newport Mirage (as we had family/friends from interstate/regional and they could accomodate us all there).
I've been to church weddings, beach weddings, weddings at Stanwell Tops. Destination weddings can be combined with a honeymoon, and also used to cut down numbers to only those you truly want there (but at their potential expense).
2. Decide early if you are having a full theme, partial (mild) theme, or none at all. We had a partial Fijian / tropical island theme due to our honeymoon destination (seating chart was done up with tables named after Fijian islands, wishing well was a treasure chest, and we made a little diorama plaster island with mini figurines of "us" on it).
3. Decide early on if you want kids at the wedding or not.
4. Numbers are a tricky thing. Remember as you increase the amount of people the price goes up and you end up having a situation where "well if we invite the great 4th cousin twice removed on my side, we need to invite the 5th cousin on your side". I think we had about 70 at our wedding and it was a good number. Friends and family and that was it.
5. Video is subjective. I wouldn't bother (personally) as how often will you watch it. It's also a massive cost.
6. I honestly wouldn't bother with cars. Bit of a wank, an unnecessary expense, and really adds nothing to the day. That is unless you reach out and have friends/family (or someone they know) with a nice car.
7. Save the Date cards (etc) need not be expensive, but get organised early if ordering from like VistaPrint/Snap/Etsy/etc.
8. Bonbonnieres are personal things as well, and need not be expensive. Etsy, Ebay, alibaba are all places you can get decent ideas from. You can even make your own. We've got things from lollies in jars, to deckchairs with candles, to salt and pepper shakers, and even stubby coolers.
9. Decorating the venue yourself can cut costs but be VERY time consuming. We just dropped the bonbonnieres ourselves.
10. Depending on your location, you might be able to find nice areas nearby where you can have photos taken. For us we had photos on Warriewood beach as it was nearby. You can scout that out yourself.
11. Decide if you want full sit down meal or buffet. Buffet will be cheaper but full sit down meals are better.
12. Bogans doing burnouts and cultural drums... try to resist the urge.
13. Decide early if you want a pre wedding shoot with your photographer - it can be a nice way to create flow in a wedding photo album.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. If you want to know any specifics re the above (or an opinion to bounce ideas off) just give us a yell.
Just to piss you off, I'm going to come to your house, smoke up the beast then play the drums for you.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

To an extent we did but I mean fuck it, it's our day and no one else's. We also used the (legitimate) excuse that the venue could only hold a certain amount.

Honestly, invite who you and the missus really want there. The people you have to invite out of obligation don't mean shit to you so who gives a shit if they're get angry, upset or whatever. Don't let anyone guilt you, ruin your day or hold you to ransom if you don't want to invite them. End of the day it's just you and your missus in bed together and that's all that matters.

But keep her happy! Haha. You're just the dude in the suit, she's the queen.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
To an extent we did but I mean fuck it, it's our day and no one else's. We also used the (legitimate) excuse that the venue could only hold a certain amount.

Honestly, invite who you and the missus really want there. The people you have to invite out of obligation don't mean shit to you so who gives a shit if they're get angry, upset or whatever. Don't let anyone guilt you, ruin your day or hold you to ransom if you don't want to invite them. End of the day it's just you and your missus in bed together and that's all that matters.

But keep her happy! Haha. You're just the dude in the suit, she's the queen.
Remember your speech? You couldn't fucking see me right in front of you. Ok I dropped half my body weight, but come on!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Remember your speech? You couldn't fucking see me right in front of you. Ok I dropped half my body weight, but come on!
Haha. I legit did not see you. Blind ****.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

That's it.. it's YOUR wedding... not anyone elses.

How we decided was "have we seen this person in recent times at family/friends events, or have they made a direct and valid/substantial contribution to our lives."

Remember for every one person added, expect a +1 (their partner).

I think we worked it out as:
- Immediate family and partners (and their kids) = brother, sisters, grandparents, parents (all on both sides). We were all similar ages (give or take 5-10 years) so few had kids (I think there were 3 kids total at our wedding - and the venue wasn't entirely kid friendly). Probably 30 in total
- Extended and partners (and kids) = nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles. Probably 20 in total.
- Close family friends = close friends of my parents and grandparents that we had met whilst growing up and kept in touch with. Probably 10 in total.
- Close personal friends = only have a handful of them each. Probably 10 in total.

Very rough numbers (we are talking a while ago), but I think it was 70-80 all up.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats easy hire a celebrant fire a few txts out get married out front of bunnings on a sat catering is supplied grab a set of bunnings thongs and a hat. Book separate holidays go to Brazil have a blast.
The secret to a long lasting happy marriage is to do nothing with them and see them less as possible.
If that seems a bit to extreme maybe get no onions on your sausage sandwich

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats easy hire a celebrant fire a few txts out get married out front of bunnings on a sat catering is supplied grab a set of bunnings thongs and a hat. Book separate holidays go to Brazil have a blast.
The secret to a long lasting happy marriage is to do nothing with them and see them less as possible.
If that seems a bit to extreme maybe get no onions on your sausage sandwich
The last line is vital to any successful marriage, IMO. Fuck onions.