Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Would wait to see who was on the rival ticket

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even DWZ is a borderline good buy imo. We bought him to play fullback and he flopped. Yh he does great on the wing but thar clearly wasn't the clubs intentions with him.
Yeah I was thinking in a similar fashion but at least he can be useful on the wing moving forward. If he’s getting fullback money then it’s a probably a bad buy.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Britt - opportunist
Cogger - opportunist
Crichton - opportunist
Katoa - reject/opportunist
Meaney - opportunist
Napa - reject
Stimson - opportunist
Sue - opportunist/reject
Thompson - top player*
DWZ - reject

CHN - opportunist/reject

When considering almost all of these players were signed on the cheap to fill a position in the roster to be a stop gap or depth (for 2021) the only buy I can say I'm not happy with is Napa (due to the price tag). All we're missing is top players and they're coming in 2021. We're not going to be win a premiership but in the mean time we're going to be developing good young players (not the players we've recruited - listed above) and when we can start renegotiating contracts for 2024 that's when we'll contend for a premiership. See you guys in 2024!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Recruitment wasn’t always starting in 2021 that’s absolutely rubbish. They haven’t had a full cap to work with but that never meant they couldn’t buy players. A lot of the signings have been questionable under current admin. Napa, CHN, DWZ and Stimson aren’t bargain basement buys and only DWZ has been successful when used on wing. Then you’d hope they could develop at least one bargain buy into something useful but that hasn’t happened either. If the club had managed to get 2-3 NRL standard players into the squad over the last few years it would make it so much more of easier task heading into 21.
Garrick, Herbert, CNK, Croft, Scott, Ramien, Korosau, Levi, J Brailey, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Drinkwater, Robson, RCG, Blake, Fuimaono, Tetevano, Walters, Doueihi, Leilua's...
Plenty of first graders who wouldn't have broken the bank who we've either missed out on or not gone after.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Garrick, Herbert, CNK, Croft, Scott, Ramien, Korosau, Levi, J Brailey, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Drinkwater, Robson, RCG, Blake, Fuimaono, Tetevano, Walters, Doueihi, Leilua's...
Plenty of first graders who wouldn't have broken the bank who we've either missed out on or not gone after.
Leilua would of broken the bank. There were reports at the time saying we were interested but there was competition from other clubs - Tigers. Same with a lot of players you've mentioned, e.g. Koroisau and Ramein to name a few more.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By this stage of the year you would expect we should have made at least 4 to 5 signings and planning for next year, but these ***** still want to give pay an ultimatum

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that she said she admires parra, what a disgrace and an insult to every single supporter of this club

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a salary cap in place in Des' first season when we went from the wooden spoon to minor premiers and a GF in one season.

If you want to talk about cap issues delaying a rebuild, the Tigers had massive cap problems also when McGuire took over and now they're in 6th place in his second season and have recruited well.
What about parra? They got caught and had to get under the cap. I think theyve only missed top 8 once since. Didnt take them 5 years to recover.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you miss some vital points that can't be simply glossed over, we have to have 30 players, we can't just go out and recruit 1 NRL quality player and then not recruit 2 others to pay for him. There is an NRL minimum contract that those players have to be on. Plus we have to spend 95% of the Cap every year, we can't save it up, not allowed under spend this year and then make it up next year. Front loaded and back ended contracts aren't allowed. As bonus for this year the NRL have decided we can't replace CHN or JO until their cases are heard.

The fact is the salary cap rules as a combination prevent any team from a fast recovery, look at how long Parramatta, Newcastle and Canbra took to get out of their holes. Look at the size of the hole the Donkeys find themselves in in Seibold's 2nd year in charge, they will take at least another year to see some light. We were always told it would take 3 years, many many times and yet some still think there's some miracle that will make it happen sooner. Well it won't, there's no rabbit or hat to pull it out of.

Go Dogs
3 years then.
So next year (9 months from now) we will be a competitive, fit (physically and mentally) 'coached' threat playing entertaining footy?
Remember, 2021.
No excuses.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
just because it was pre covid, it doesnt mean anything... larger companies would have still be cautious.

i just love that everytime we miss out on a player 'its speculation' and everytime something comes out that supports auntie lynne its "well done board" come on, just eliminate the bias!
I don’t have bias mate.
Despite being called a ‘lover’, ‘defender’, ‘apologist’, and various other titles because I won’t pour scorn on them, I’ve always said (and regularly posted on here) that my judgement comes for and in 2021.

I don’t think it’s all played out yet is all.

If they fail they will be gone.

For the sake of the club we all love I hope it doesn’t come to that. Cheers.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So you honestly believe that getting Thompson here 6 months early was not in any way positive?

Go Dogs
At the moment something positive for the dogs is buying a spine player that’s going to win you games. While I like the Thompson signing, it doesn’t fix the issue of not being able to construct tries. We are the worst team to get over the try line from the opposition red zone! Thompson will make you meters but he’s not going to create a try or win you games. We are not focusing enough on our weaknesses and addressing them. Instead we keep looking at forwards to buy.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where did I post that?

More than happy to admit when I am wrong it happens often, so tell me what is factually incorrect in what I posted?

Go Dogs
The last thing you wrote(Go Dogs) was wrong. The dogs ain’t going anywhere at the moment

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the moment something positive for the dogs is buying a spine player that’s going to win you games. While I like the Thompson signing, it doesn’t fix the issue of not being able to construct tries. We are the worst team to get over the try line from the opposition red zone! Thompson will make you meters but he’s not going to create a try or win you games. We are not focusing enough on our weaknesses and addressing them. Instead we keep looking at forwards to buy.
Agree but it depends who that player is and whether they can single handedly change our attacking structure and stop us playing Desball (assuming Pay is still the coach in 2021). If it was someone like Keary or Cameron Smith then they could do that but if it's a young bloke like Burton or Hastings, I don't think they will change much if our forwards are still playing like our halves.
If Pay goes, then everything changes but who knows if that will happen as these halfwits on the board might just re-sign him to show how "loyal" they are. Screw being loyal to success or the fans, they're loyal to slow, boring, mediocre football because apparently we're "family"