News We want him here ASAP': Bulldogs trying to lure star signing for 2020

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope he comes but have really low expectations on it happening as there’s so many hurdles to cross in rugby league terms and travelling terms. Wouldn’t he have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival as well?

With everything that's going on I'd just be happy with him being here for day 1 of pre-season for next season anything else is a bonus.
I wonder if that fourteen day window is the be all and end all of the isolation protocol? Hearing that over a period of time two passengers off the Ruby Princess tested positive well after the safe period that we have all been told about and one of them only last week. The jury is still out on how they actually tested positive well after the event...was it from the cruise ship of from outside sources....?There is so much we still don't know about it...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Raiders paid £200,000 transfer fee for Bateman too but I can't find any clarification on if it counted on their cap or not.
Hang on to your handlebars, this is complicated.....

I found this interesting as my understanding back then (only one source, so not confirmed) was that Canberra went 50/50 with Bateman on the transfer fee (say, £200k = $350k). He copped 50% of it as a reduction to his first year contract (say, $175k) leaving him around $385k, which he wasn't all that happy about. Canberra copped the other 50% in their Cap (the balance of $175k). In the second year his contract jumps up by that 50%, say, $385k + $175k = $560k. That's one of the reasons why he has the "contract value open to negotiation" clause. Canberra used the $175k plus their spare cap space to sign Rapana plus they upgraded CNK, which leaves them short to even pay Bateman the + $175k let alone the even higher contract that he is asking.

In summary, he wants more than the original ~$560k. which if he stays at Canberra he would only get ~$385k, so $650k might land him. My view is he wants his $175k back, so ~$560k + $175k = ~$735k. Time will tell, that's if we can believe what they say, write print or post.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I found this interesting as my understanding back then (only one source, so not confirmed) was that Canberra went 50/50 with Bateman on the transfer fee (say, £200k = $350k). He copped 50% of it as a reduction to his first year contract (say, $175k) leaving him around $385k, which he wasn't all that happy about. Canberra copped the other 50% in their Cap (the balance of $175k). In the second year his contract jumps up by that 50%, say, $385k + $175k = $560k. That's one of the reasons why he has the "contract value open to negotiation" clause. Canberra used the $175k plus their spare cap space to sign Rapana plus they upgraded CNK, which leaves them short to even pay Bateman the + $175k let alone the even higher contract that he is asking.

In summary, he wants more than the original ~$560k. which if he stays at Canberra he would only get ~$385k, so $650k might land him. My view is he wants his $175k back, so ~$560k + $175k = ~$735k. Time will tell, that's if we can believe what they say, write print or post.

Go Dogs
Ok then clear as mud :tearsofjoy:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that fourteen day window is the be all and end all of the isolation protocol? Hearing that over a period of time two passengers off the Ruby Princess tested positive well after the safe period that we have all been told about and one of them only last week. The jury is still out on how they actually tested positive well after the event...was it from the cruise ship of from outside sources....?There is so much we still don't know about it...
To be honest I wouldn't have a clue Dogluva. I think they mean the initial source of the cluster was the Ruby Princess and it spread from there but I could be wrong.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok then clear as mud :tearsofjoy:
I did warn you, that's why journo's print less than half the story (eg; "Bateman wants more money"), because they don't understand it enough to write it in such a way that the average reader can understand. Either that or they couldn't be bothered doing the research.

Go Dogs

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is more likely than most people think. Given the environment in the UK and the amount of losses their clubs most be incurring any cost saving expense like the wages of a high profile player would likely be welcomed

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This is more likely than most people think. Given the environment in the UK and the amount of losses their clubs most be incurring any cost saving expense like the wages of a high profile player would likely be welcomed
Absolutely take your point, but getting an exemption to get into Australia remains a pretty big barrier right now.
I personally know of two people who've lived here for 4 years (sponsored employment visas) who were overseas when the borders shut - and since they aren't citizens and don't have PR they are not allowed back in and are with family overseas.
Given the UK was a Rona hotspot, it's hard to see at this point why the Australian Government would make an exemption for a footballer.
That may change as restrictions continue to be eased and it would be great to see Thommo here ASAP, but it's hard to see him being with us for any part of the 2020 season right now.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
and theres no logical reason why a transfer fee would go under a salary cap.

paying freight on a player (Reynolds situation) is a whole different thing as thats their contract and if he left, and they want him gone, but other teams arent willing to pay the same absurd figure then it makes sense that the difference is paid by offloading team inside their cap. Otherwise rich teams would pay absurd high amounts to lure players and discard them with sweeteners. The broncos would be paying 500k for players they dont want to keep their squad optimal.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely take your point, but getting an exemption to get into Australia remains a pretty big barrier right now.
I personally know of two people who've lived here for 4 years (sponsored employment visas) who were overseas when the borders shut - and since they aren't citizens and don't have PR they are not allowed back in and are with family overseas.
Given the UK was a Rona hotspot, it's hard to see at this point why the Australian Government would make an exemption for a footballer.
That may change as restrictions continue to be eased and it would be great to see Thommo here ASAP, but it's hard to see him being with us for any part of the 2020 season right now.
Before we worry about that we will have to get him released from St Helens obviously if their season is canned the chances of getting a release sky rocket. On the flip side if they restart the season it’s next to no chance of happening.