We need to sign Fidow

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Push them into reserves or the bench. They'll want to go. The only reason why they won't is because there are no buyers for the reasons I've stated (maybe we'll have to chip in, it is what it is). Ideally we don't have players on long contracts so we're able to just run out their contract and not re-sign them or we only have to deal with them on our books for one year even tho we don't want to use them (as we've decided to go with our reserve/development player). There isn't an alternative anyways. RCG at Panthers was on a long term deal there and he was able to find a club and he was a shadow of himself. RCG has come out and said he was pushed out by Ivan and he didn't want to leave.
It doesn't alter the fact that BOTH parties to the contract, the player AND the club, have to want to terminate the contract. As for your example, RCG could have easily stayed at Penrith and collected his money, regardless what level he played he'd still get paid the same amount and use up the same amount of Salary Cap. He left because he wants his SOO place back and that wasn't going to happen not playing in the NRL. Hardly comparable to our situation.

It could happen in year 1 of a 3 year contract, it doesn't have to be year 3. So you might be faced with paying for 2 years of a non productive player. I'm not a fan of copping part of the freight for a player to go elsewhere, albeit we had no choice in order to get down to the Salary Cap in 2018 and 2019. That wasn't to free up space for someone else, it was necessary just to get Cap compliant.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It doesn't alter the fact that BOTH parties to the contract, the player AND the club, have to want to terminate the contract. As for your example, RCG could have easily stayed at Penrith and collected his money, regardless what level he played he'd still get paid the same amount and use up the same amount of Salary Cap. He left because he wants his SOO place back and that wasn't going to happen not playing in the NRL. Hardly comparable to our situation.

It could happen in year 1 of a 3 year contract, it doesn't have to be year 3. So you might be faced with paying for 2 years of a non productive player. I'm not a fan of copping part of the freight for a player to go elsewhere, albeit we had no choice in order to get down to the Salary Cap in 2018 and 2019. That wasn't to free up space for someone else, it was necessary just to get Cap compliant.

Go Dogs
I really don't get what you're arguing at this stage. You're repeating that both parties have to agree which I said from my first post. Besides insane situations it's in best interest that both the club and player move on. If the player is now useless and on big money then we're going to have to pay X amount of his salary to play elsewhere (Yes, it's possible a player on 950k is now only worth 500k, so maybe it's not worth it for us to pay the difference and we're forced to stick with him). We're talking about a reserve grade or development player coming through and taking the spot of an experienced player and we have to choose between the two (e.g. Sharks with Townsend and Flanagan). There isn't an alternative either so it's a dead conversation. Also just going to throw it out there RCG is a perfect example (he literally was forced to play reserve grade if he wanted to stay). I'm not sure how you've twisted your head to think otherwise.

Also stop bringing our back ended salary cap into current discussions (we literally tried cheating the salary cap to get an advantage in recruitment and success for two years or so). The situation isn't comparable and we lost our best players (not ones we wanted to get rid off...)

Last edited:

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's a scared person supposed to run? That's the question I need answered
Fumbles the ball when trying to pick it up, and jogs to the line. He needs to run hard and fast all the time, not only when running over Cam Smith.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I probably shouldn’t have used the word excuse in regards to Pay and I think that’s where we went off tangent. What I was getting at was when posters defend players to the hilt but then say we don’t have the cattle. Sure some people might go overboard with criticism every now and again but there has to be bad players in the squad to be the position we are.
Everybody else can see what you mean Spoon...Some posters just pile on raising differing issues in an attempt to change it back to their view.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to sign this kid, put him
On the wing and guarantee him first grade... storm did it with Addo Carr who was looking for an opportunity

Okunbor
Meaney
Crichton
Montoya
Holland

do not belong in first grade, meaney a good depth player, he’s too small these days compared to the modern winger..

smith and Fidow would be a deadly wing combination with Hoppa and centre with another recruit. And of course dwz fullback...

make it happen dogs!! He’s on a development deal at the moment!
I really like Meaney at fullback.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought it said findo. The dog from where’s the gold :p

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really like Meaney at fullback.
You’ll get people on here proclaiming DWZ as the best fullback at the club :p

Zelezniak wouldn’t even be the best fullback in his family :(

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id actually consider Kevin Locke on a train and trial basis. Imagine if he absolutely smashes it out over the off season and becomes our first string ffb.i cant imagine Fidow leaving north queensland for sydney at his age.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fidow doesnt seem to like the contact - quick elusive but would be a lot better if he ran harder

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Id actually consider Kevin Locke on a train and trial basis. Imagine if he absolutely smashes it out over the off season and becomes our first string ffb.i cant imagine Fidow leaving north queensland for sydney at his age.
31 years old no thanks

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
31 years old no thanks
He has had a few years break too. Im sure it sounds outrageous to most, but if we just offer him a chance to train with the squad for free, with an opportunity to earn a contract, then we have absolutely nothing to lose, and possibly a player that has everything to gain and is desperate for an opportunity.
Definitely a way better idea then chasing players who are after the paper as that clown we all unfortunately know suggested.