We need to sign Fidow

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he's athletic enough to be on the wing in defence especially for the 9s there's too much room for him to cover in defence he's not mobile enough. Let's see how he goes during the rounds I have my doubts about him he can either be a real star if he wants to or he can be real shiitt house. Meaney is more reliable.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
According to some we have at least one “useless” player in every position;
Backrower, that would be Elliott (by a country mile).
Centre, dead cert that’s Holland, with an honourable mention to Montoya.
Half, Lewis (no attack) or Cogger (no defence) take your pick.
Prop, Tolman has that covered, with Napa as back up.
Dummy Half, was Lichaa but now he’s gone they are desperately searching for a target, JMK and Katoa didn’t feature at the 9’s so dumping on Bobcat became the temporary go to choice.

On TK there is an unquenchable thirst to dump on someone, anyone, in every position, like an alcoholic, they are irresistibly drawn to it.

Go Dogs
Wouldn't say people are looking to dump on people. Imagine it's just history making it hard for people to really believe the players we have can get better. Perhaps if the coach had a greater reputation for improving players? Or if these players were actually good?

But let's be honest here. The players you've listed haven't really set the world on fire so far, have they? So it's natural for supporters to signal them out if they haven't been up to scratch wouldn't you say?

I get where you're coming from, I really do. Nothing worse than continual negativity, even when things are good.

But at the same time I bet you can't really say any of those above players have played consistently well either? Can you? Does that mean you're dumping on them or just being realistic about their performance levels?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don't think our backs are as bad as some think. They just need better service. They were getting the ball flat footed all the time. We need to make space for them

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't say people are looking to dump on people. Imagine it's just history making it hard for people to really believe the players we have can get better. Perhaps if the coach had a greater reputation for improving players? Or if these players were actually good?

But let's be honest here. The players you've listed haven't really set the world on fire so far, have they? So it's natural for supporters to signal them out if they haven't been up to scratch wouldn't you say?

I get where you're coming from, I really do. Nothing worse than continual negativity, even when things are good.

But at the same time I bet you can't really say any of those above players have played consistently well either? Can you? Does that mean you're dumping on them or just being realistic about their performance levels?
Spot on! We have missed the finals for 3 years straight and the Pay not having the cattle excuse gets wheeled out regularly so there has to be some below par players in the squad somewhere.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think our backs are as bad as some think. They just need better service. They were getting the ball flat footed all the time. We need to make space for them
Depth is a concern though bringing the likes of Holland, Montoya and Crichton into the team doesn't fill me with much confidence.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on! We have missed the finals for 3 years straight and the Pay not having the cattle excuse gets wheeled out regularly so there has to be some below par players in the squad somewhere.
Of course there is. Severe salary cap restrictions will cause just that - a bunch of inexperienced players on relatively low wages. And no, that’s not an excuse, but that problem is almost cleaned up. In 2021 there will be no excuses as there’s nothing holding us back from being able to recruit the 4-5 experienced players we need (we already have 1).

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to sign Johnstone lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course there is. Severe salary cap restrictions will cause just that - a bunch of inexperienced players on relatively low wages. And no, that’s not an excuse, but that problem is almost cleaned up. In 2021 there will be no excuses as there’s nothing holding us back from being able to recruit the 4-5 experienced players we need (we already have 1).
Whats your point though? Everyone on here is well aware of those issues. When someone points out a player they believe are below par some on here will jump to the rescue like they are a proven NRL player.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Whats your point though? Everyone on here is well aware of those issues. When someone points out a player they believe are below par some on here will jump to the rescue like they are a proven NRL player.
You said the ‘Pay doesn’t have the cattle excuse is wheeled out regularly’. He largely HASN’T had the cattle in his first two years so I don’t see it as an excuse, I think it’s true - which means of course there are some below par players. Also one of the three years we haven’t made the finals was under the Despot so it can’t all be pinned on Pay. As to whoever defends selected players you’d have to ask them specifically why - but the only way I see it related to the squad as a whole are the reasons already outlined.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You said the ‘Pay doesn’t have the cattle excuse is wheeled out regularly’. He largely HASN’T had the cattle in his first two years so I don’t see it as an excuse, I think it’s true - which means of course there are some below par players. Also one of the three years we haven’t made the finals was under the Despot so it can’t all be pinned on Pay. As to whoever defends selected players you’d have to ask them specifically why - but the only way I see it related to the squad as a whole are the reasons already outlined.
It was a valid excuse in 2018 and it weakens with every year as he gets a stronger say in the squad till it disappears all together next year. This isn't really the point I was trying to make anyway I was using the Pay not having a cattle line to back up having sub par players in the squad.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as some would like to think that we can magically fit 30 above average players into our Salary Cap, that's just an unrealistic expectation. Look around the league and every club has a mixture of below average, average and above average players. Obviously some of the below average are on a development path and conversely some of the above average are getting older (aren't we all). Effectively managing the Salary Cap is a next to impossible complex task, not made any easier by the NRL dreaming up and/or applying obscure and difficult to understand (ie; illogical) rulings. Look around the league and there's not many instances of teams having 2 above average players in the same position, or of they do it doesn't last. Obvious examples, Melbourne are about to lose both of their above average wingers. The Chooks have already lost Mitchell, leaving Manu, and then Smith (their "developing" player for that position) got injured and hence their desperate search for a solution, so even they are not immune.

It's hardly a surprise that we know our team better than we know the opposition, but the others aren't excluded from the Salary Cap balancing act any more than we are. Individually we recognise what we believe are deficiencies in our playing group, ones that we particularly would like filled, yesterday. But the fact remains, and it is a fact, we can't fit everyone that we would like into our Cap. This year had a little space and my personal opinion is we have gotten good value for our money and we have a enough left to swoop should another DWZ type situation arise again this year. Next year we have slightly above average Cap space available, with players off contract and a number of large backed ended contracts expiring (so even if they are renewed they won't be for the inflated final year amounts).

This year we need the patience to allow some of our "development" players to develop some more and make the step up to NRL level. Because we sure as hell can't afford to fill every vacancy with an above average player from another team.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As much as some would like to think that we can magically fit 30 above average players into our Salary Cap, that's just an unrealistic expectation. Look around the league and every club has a mixture of below average, average and above average players. Obviously some of the below average are on a development path and conversely some of the above average are getting older (aren't we all). Effectively managing the Salary Cap is a next to impossible complex task, not made any easier by the NRL dreaming up and/or applying obscure and difficult to understand (ie; illogical) rulings. Look around the league and there's not many instances of teams having 2 above average players in the same position, or of they do it doesn't last. Obvious examples, Melbourne are about to lose both of their above average wingers. The Chooks have already lost Mitchell, leaving Manu, and then Smith (their "developing" player for that position) got injured and hence their desperate search for a solution, so even they are not immune.

It's hardly a surprise that we know our team better than we know the opposition, but the others aren't excluded from the Salary Cap balancing act any more than we are. Individually we recognise what we believe are deficiencies in our playing group, ones that we particularly would like filled, yesterday. But the fact remains, and it is a fact, we can't fit everyone that we would like into our Cap. This year had a little space and my personal opinion is we have gotten good value for our money and we have a enough left to swoop should another DWZ type situation arise again this year. Next year we have slightly above average Cap space available, with players off contract and a number of large backed ended contracts expiring (so even if they are renewed they won't be for the inflated final year amounts).

This year we need the patience to allow some of our "development" players to develop some more and make the step up to NRL level. Because we sure as hell can't afford to fill every vacancy with an above average player from another team.

Go Dogs
We have few above average players. Lucky for us we've re-signed almost everyone we want to keep (a few smaller players to still look at like Wakeham, Meaney, RFM, etc) and we're going to have a couple million (imo 2-3m) to spend to sign another three to four above average players. We're short of those above average players and that's why we're not competitive. You can have all the effort you want but if you don't sprinkle that with enough talent it goes to no use. We really shouldn't be complaining about this year (and the last year or so) as our hands were tied but 2021 on wards we can't use that excuse anymore. There are still going to be some issues we run into but if we're somewhat successful and when the contracts of our players start to run down we can address them (the squad we have in 2021 will still be nowhere near the top four teams but we're going to be able to be competitive in the eight). Developing players and players just getting better in general is good and all but we can't rely on that, it's just a bonus (and there is no reason to).

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need to sign Johnstone lol
You talking about Shaun Johnson ? If you mean Tom Johnstone that's no laughing matter lol kid is a excellent finisher for Wakefield

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It was a valid excuse in 2018 and it weakens with every year as he gets a stronger say in the squad till it disappears all together next year. This isn't really the point I was trying to make anyway I was using the Pay not having a cattle line to back up having sub par players in the squad.
Not sure I follow as clearly as I do your posts normally, but we agree that this year is the final year of having one hand tied behind our backs and it’s game on from 2021 both from a cap and I guess cattle point of view because by then the restored pathways program will have produced young fellas ready to step up to NRL which will include names that get tossed around here fairly frequently - some of whom will likely get a run this year but who will definitely be in the frame for 2021.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have few above average players. Lucky for us we've re-signed almost everyone we want to keep (a few smaller players to still look at like Wakeham, Meaney, RFM, etc) and we're going to have a couple million (imo 2-3m) to spend to sign another three to four above average players. We're short of those above average players and that's why we're not competitive. You can have all the effort you want but if you don't sprinkle that with enough talent it goes to no use. We really shouldn't be complaining about this year (and the last year or so) as our hands were tied but 2021 on wards we can't use that excuse anymore. There are still going to be some issues we run into but if we're somewhat successful and when the contracts of our players start to run down we can address them (the squad we have in 2021 will still be nowhere near the top four teams but we're going to be able to be competitive in the eight). Developing players and players just getting better in general is good and all but we can't rely on that, it's just a bonus (and there is no reason to).
Depends on what you mean by "rely", the Salary Cap forces us to rely on a number of players developing ie; being paid less in their current contract than their playing quality justifies, which then changes when the contract is up and they can demand something more in line with their playing status. That's what Mitchell was at the Chooks and JAC at Melbourne, better players at the end of their contracts than their early contract value was worth. You need those types of players. You need senior (experienced ) players, the constant, to help the developing players to reach their maximum potential. In the later years of their contracts they may well be paid more than the actual playing level (game after game) demands, but you rely a lot on their experience in tight situations. Then you need a couple of game breakers on top dollars, that you can rely on to produce a flash of brilliance at least once per game, that results in a win. No team can afford to buy more than 2 or 3 game breakers, there's just not enough room in the cap. We are not totally devoid of talent, when he is playing Foran is a game breaker and when given the opportunity by his inside support Hopoate can win a game for us if he has decent outside support. I don't think Thompson is game breaker but every team needs a dominant prop, plus another, who between them we rely on to lay the foundation for the game breakers.

Right now I find it hard to determine exactly who we need especially in the positions we can afford game breakers. By mid season we should have a much better idea.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "rely", the Salary Cap forces us to rely on a number of players developing ie; being paid less in their current contract than their playing quality justifies, which then changes when the contract is up and they can demand something more in line with their playing status. That's what Mitchell was at the Chooks and JAC at Melbourne, better players at the end of their contracts than their early contract value was worth. You need those types of players. You need senior (experienced ) players, the constant, to help the developing players to reach their maximum potential. In the later years of their contracts they may well be paid more than the actual playing level (game after game) demands, but you rely a lot on their experience in tight situations. Then you need a couple of game breakers on top dollars, that you can rely on to produce a flash of brilliance at least once per game, that results in a win. No team can afford to buy more than 2 or 3 game breakers, there's just not enough room in the cap. We are not totally devoid of talent, when he is playing Foran is a game breaker and when given the opportunity by his inside support Hopoate can win a game for us if he has decent outside support. I don't think Thompson is game breaker but every team needs a dominant prop, plus another, who between them we rely on to lay the foundation for the game breakers.

Right now I find it hard to determine exactly who we need especially in the positions we can afford game breakers. By mid season we should have a much better idea.

Go Dogs
Then you have to let others players go (either while on contract or not re-signing them) to keep them. It's something you do on the side and leave an extra bit of salary cap for it but that's it. You still have to buy what you need now (2021). Just because you have someone with a bit of potential you can't rely on them to make it. If they're pushing the door down than it'll just work itself out. Anyways I don't see that from our reserve graders that have had an opportunity in the NRL (or the 9's, I don't watch much reserve grade if at all).

The only reason someone like Wakeham will get a go is because there's nothing on the market we can buy (due to multiple reasons) so we'll strengthen elsewhere and give him another year or two to make it. Also I'm almost certain we have the money to buy at least two to three above average players that potentially can be game breakers (if we want to spend more per player then it'll almost be guaranteed). I don't think it's hard to determine what we need but the problem is going to be whether it's available on the market. We need one to two backs (depends how Meaney goes - JAC would be brilliant) and then a half (either with or without Foran - nothing off contract available) and a hooker (again nothing off contract available - JMK isn't good enough at this stage to be a starting hooker but gets an opportunity). We're probably light in the front row if we lose Tolman too, if Thompson and Napa are starting in 2021 that's a massive problem imo. I can see this being very difficult, hopefully we can snag a few still contracted players (e.g. someone like McInnes - but obviously very unlikely as he's wanted and will want to stay at the Dragons, it'd be too expensive).

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow as clearly as I do your posts normally, but we agree that this year is the final year of having one hand tied behind our backs and it’s game on from 2021 both from a cap and I guess cattle point of view because by then the restored pathways program will have produced young fellas ready to step up to NRL which will include names that get tossed around here fairly frequently - some of whom will likely get a run this year but who will definitely be in the frame for 2021.
I probably shouldn’t have used the word excuse in regards to Pay and I think that’s where we went off tangent. What I was getting at was when posters defend players to the hilt but then say we don’t have the cattle. Sure some people might go overboard with criticism every now and again but there has to be bad players in the squad to be the position we are.