We need to offload players

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
THe offloading of players asap is something Gould should be working on - need to free up salary cap and top 30 spots before the roster can be improved.
Find extended homes for Naden Thompson Okunbor Flanagan and Allen for starters - this year if possible.
Don’t think it’s that easy.
Need buyers and can’t carry too much freight.
Safe to say those off contract this year will probably go - Wakeham, Stimson etc. RFM and Doorey also off contract but at least Doorey might be given a chance after almost a year off with injury.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it the players or the coach? We all thought Meaney was useless last year
It just shows that once a player who is in a good, winning system, how much they can thrive, how better than mental state is and ultimately enjoy life.

At the dogs, it's the opposite.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some may agree, others won't ... But imo we need to offload the following players

Pangai Jr - mentally unstable and goes missing far to often. Not worth the 700-800k we are paying.

Corey Allan - Tell Wayne Bennett that if he wants Pangai Jr that we will release him on one condition, you take Allan at full freight.

Luke Thompson - Unfortunately he doesn't bend the line or have any real impact in our 17. He thrives off hit ups late in the set after bigger middles take the hard carries eg Walmsley at St Helens. He's a good player just doesn't suit us ATM and we can't afford to pay him as much as we are as a result.

Corey Waddell - he is useless, I don't know how we get rid of him... Hopefully Barrett takes his pet with him when he gets sacked.

Josh Jackson - yes he has bled for the club and wasted his prime here... For me it's bench him going forward or let him go.

Now the composition of our side wouldn't suffer too much as a result.of moving these guys on.
I would offer Vaughan and extension and start him up front with King.

Matterson should be signed to play lock and we need to find a solid right edge back rower who isn't Hetherington, Jackson or Mariner.

Fullback and halfback remain a big issue for us and I don't know how those holes are filled with the current market.
I agree with your post.

Alltho I think TPJ once we lose the loser mentallity in the team will be huge.

There is a terrible culture of not winnimg is ok, at least we tried hard at the dogs. It was there before the coach started.

We need to offload players like JMK Josh Jackson Waddles knockondumdum and a few of the old plodders.

Only then can the new culture be instilled from the top down.

Edited after I re read you post

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to offload 99% of the players but the problem is no club would want them and most of them are contracted until the end of next year the club have there hands tied up and cant offload them until the end of next year so get ready for more of the same shit next year too .
Drop them to reserves, and put up with the cost of keeping them there.

Bring up the juniors who would love to be Bulldogs, and promise them good money when the dregs that are holding us back end their contracts.

If any club offers to take any of our current squad - I don't care who it is - let the bastards go, and wish them all the best.

I have no loyalty to any of the shit currently playing first grade - starting with the captain.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s probably easier and quicker to identify the players I would keep. Our top 30 is littered with overpaid and underperforming players, not to mention those who just can’t cut it at the FG level.
I’d keep JAC, Burton, Kiraz, BBO, Alamoti, Schoupp, King, Vaughn, TPJ. 9/30 I’d keep, another 2-3 maybes which I’d only consider as depth if they were close to Min wage.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not that easy moving contracted players along. It will cost us money and will impact our ability to recruit.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to get a complete assessment of players when you have shit coaching staff
I tend to agree, we have dead wood that need to go for sure but the coaching staff have made everyone worse, the longer the club lets this go the harder it will be to attract and retain players we want.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get rid of, Dufty, Allan, Naden, Okunbour, Flanagan, Waddler, Stinkson, Jackson, Thompson, Doorey, Averillo, JMK, RFM, Wakeham, Cook, BBO, And Trent Barrett and co.
Thats a great starting point.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t think it’s that easy.
Need buyers and can’t carry too much freight.
Safe to say those off contract this year will probably go - Wakeham, Stimson etc. RFM and Doorey also off contract but at least Doorey might be given a chance after almost a year off with injury.
Definitely not easy BUT every effort needs to be made - players with one year to go may be encouraged by the the chance to get two or three years elsewhere

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
The problem isn’t the players. It’s fitness and gameplan. When your not fit you can’t play the game you want cause your too gassed to get into position. Watch our forwards whi take too long ti get back inside after 30mims game time. The gameplan is too easy to read and doesn’t test the defence. We have problems but as a whole the players aren’t the biggest issue.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely not easy BUT every effort needs to be made - players with one year to go may be encouraged by the the chance to get two or three years elsewhere
Maybe. The Dolphins still need players…

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of teams make a coach look better than what they are, Unfortunately it is a combination of both players and coach in this situation.
Losing and being down is cancer to the club.
Need to be tough and put the big boy pants on like the Roosters would do and piss them off.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If TPJ is on the "reported" 750K he definitely needs to go along with Dufty, Naden, Stimpson and Waddell

JJ needs to see out his contract until the end of 2023 but needs his minutes reduced drastically....He is chewing fuck all from the cap

We have a very unbalanced squad with a very shit coach

BBO, Averillo & Patolo need a full year in reserve grade

Alot of holes to fill for 2023 - ALOT

If it was me, at this stage for 2023 I would only have
JAC, Schoupp, Kiraz, Burton, Flanagan, Thompson, Mahoney, Vaughan, Kikau, JJ and M. King

First and foremost - Barrett needs to be gone - yesterday

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe. The Dolphins still need players…
Im trying to find reasons for optimism - the extra club will increased demand, Super League is a possibility - even one or two of them going would help - or maybe a club in contention will need extra depth towards the end of the year (like TPJ going to Penrith last year)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Im trying to find reasons for optimism - the extra club will increased demand, Super League is a possibility - even one or two of them going would help - or maybe a club in contention will need extra depth towards the end of the year (like TPJ going to Penrith last year)
Sure. But remember no team has 30 (or even 17) guns. Granted Penrith aren’t far off. I think a better coach could lift some of our players - not necessarily to be stars, but going better than they are right now - where every player is going backwards. The problem is who is that person (not Flanagan for mine). But when that person is sorted it’s time to lob the grenade into the guts, not dance around the edges (pardon the pun).

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dufty OUT - Walsh in (blank cheque) 4 year deal

Naden OUT - Cobbo (blank Cheque) 4 year deal

Burtons partner - Ben hunt, Mitch mosses, cheery evans, Jerome Luai.. I could go on an, it’s better than what we have, and they are more established than what we are throwing in.. and all Of the above would give some direction with attack. Especially to give the burton an fox combo time and to gel and be very FUCKING DANGEROUS. !!!

a lot will disagree with names mentioned for 7, but got to look at the bigger picture. We lack a half with options and decision making. But all of the above would see us in good stead.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the last few seasons (ie since Ferris took over conditioning), we've only looked comparably fit during the last third of the season; obviously because the team's fitness has gone up due to the week in/week out grind etc.

How isn't it clear to anyone that their fitness and conditioning needs to change??

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Some may agree, others won't ... But imo we need to offload the following players

Pangai Jr - mentally unstable and goes missing far to often. Not worth the 700-800k we are paying.

Corey Allan - Tell Wayne Bennett that if he wants Pangai Jr that we will release him on one condition, you take Allan at full freight.

Luke Thompson - Unfortunately he doesn't bend the line or have any real impact in our 17. He thrives off hit ups late in the set after bigger middles take the hard carries eg Walmsley at St Helens. He's a good player just doesn't suit us ATM and we can't afford to pay him as much as we are as a result.

Corey Waddell - he is useless, I don't know how we get rid of him... Hopefully Barrett takes his pet with him when he gets sacked.

Josh Jackson - yes he has bled for the club and wasted his prime here... For me it's bench him going forward or let him go.

Now the composition of our side wouldn't suffer too much as a result.of moving these guys on.
I would offer Vaughan and extension and start him up front with King.

Matterson should be signed to play lock and we need to find a solid right edge back rower who isn't Hetherington, Jackson or Mariner.

Fullback and halfback remain a big issue for us and I don't know how those holes are filled with the current market.
You ever heard of it actually happening that a club would do a deal for a player that involved having to take a 2nd player you didnt need as well?

TPJ, not sure whats doing there. He goes good when he tries, which has been most matches, but i dunno, he doesnt look happy for some reason. Maybe hes homesick already lol.

Waddell is over criticised here imo. Hes not that terrible and hes not on big money. Not saying we couldnt use more forwards, particularly if TPJ goes back to Brisbane or something.

Josh Jackson is at the twilight of his career, but still has something to offer imo, but needs less minutes and responsibility.

Matterson is 1 head knock from retirement after spending large amounts of last season and part of this season out due to head knocks. He goes ok but there are plenty of decent forwards around.

Hetherington is actually a good player if we can remove his discipline issues. We have a few of those in the side (TPJ, Thompson before this year)

Dufty does my head in. At times you can see he has some very good skills, and hes plenty quick, but hes awol compared to the top fullbacks. I would love someone with Duftys skills and speed, who was more consistant.

Thompson, he puts in but i think we can do better with his money