We need to do something about Mobile Ads!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Using the site via mobile browser at the moment as my internet is down, and it is such a horrible experience using this forum via mobile. Clunky, intrusive, and overbearing ads.

If anything I'd be surprised if these ads aren't turning users away.

Simple horrible...

And they slow the whole experience up as well.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, i stopped using the mobile app ages ago, i prefer using a pc

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay after a painful mobile browser experience I've asked @Nash to see if theres anything we can do on this front.

All I can think is that The Kennel mobile template is different to The Kennel desktop template.

You get 3 ad blocks on the Desktop, but 4-6 on the mobile template, plus that aweful bottom footer.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I use TK mainly from my mobile web browser. The amount of ads onscreen has become a bit rediculous now to be fair.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah it is horrible. Start working on the version upgrade I can help with any graphics or design help you may need

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All the ads for me just on this page alone...

Screenshot_20190716-230552_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190716-230552_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190716-230608_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190716-230636_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190716-230654_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190716-230712_Chrome.jpg

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No worries .. thanks for more information there.

Xenforo v2.1 upgrade is potentially in the pipeline, but that still will not resolve the ad issue. There are several pros and cons for it.

I'd never realised how bad the situation was until over the past 24 hours. We want to get more users onto the site, but I feel we are driving them away in it's current format.

Nash is the site owner and looks after all the backend and programming on the site. I've fired him off an email to have a think about things and how we can resolve this one, as more signups are great, but if they are instantly turned away due to the excessive ads, that's not a good thing. We want users to have the same experience on The Kennel regardless the platform used.

Tapatalk is an option (i.e The Kennel App), and that will reduce your ads slightly (I've made changes there), but I'm a minimalist with my phone (don't even use it for social media) and prefer browser only.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's not just mobile, I get this shit on a regular on desktop...

upload_2019-7-17_14-2-10.png

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hey @DublinDogg,

That's an interesting one.

What browser and device are you using (tablet/laptop/desktop pc/Macbook)?

I'm in discussions with Nash about how we can best resolve this one for mobile users.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been using the phone to browse for about 5 months. It does drive me a little nuts. Lately there's been more ads redirecting to different pages without clicking on their links. And often enough I get a link saying the page uses too much memory and isn't fully shown. I'm not sure if that's due to the advertising and I tend to ignore it anyway. But I thought I'd mention it.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey @DublinDogg,

That's an interesting one.

What browser and device are you using (tablet/laptop/desktop pc/Macbook)?

I'm in discussions with Nash about how we can best resolve this one for mobile users.
Desktop PC and Firefox browser for that screenshot. But i use Chrome as well and get the same thing

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use mobile browser for the kennel I’m pretty much used to the adverts only thing that still and always will piss me off is when I get to the bottom of the thread and I want to add a comment I have to scroll past 10 adverts to get to where you can write and post. Even if they are adverts or other threads being advertised.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Even on a PC web browser the ads lately are like some kind of disease spreading and growing as time goes on. Now its packed with them. I could tighten the ad blocking but then it makes other sites fk up that i use. A new thing i just saw a few of is ads in the middle of posts!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Even on a PC web browser the ads lately are like some kind of disease spreading and growing as time goes on. Now its packed with them. I could tighten the ad blocking but then it makes other sites fk up that i use. A new thing i just saw a few of is ads in the middle of posts!
What browser is that in?

Nash is looking into the options as the site is a few versions behind from new as well.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
What browser is that in?

Nash is looking into the options as the site is a few versions behind from new as well.
Firefox, latest version. Last night i saw 4 or 5 posts with adds in between paragraphs in posts. Im using "standard" (default) ad blocking settings. There is 1 stronger setting called "Strict" but it warns some sites may not work with it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't use ad blocker.
Is it the same with ad blocker off?
Haven't seen them on Internet Explorer I must admit.

But using my phone recently I saw them in amongst longer posts.

The strange thing is they are all via template so shouldn't be appearing anywhere else.

Maybe adblockers are causing them to pop up in alternative spots.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't use any ad blocker and get them all over the place on all desktop browsers :(

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There should be 3 ads that display on every page.

Upper - appears above the first post and thread title.
Mid - appears after the first post on each new page.
Lower - appears under the reply box.

Every so often I notice another one mid thread.

For people that are seeing multiple other ads can you advise where on the page you often see them.