News We need him this year’: Cleary insists ‘superstar’ Burton key for Panthers

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ducks and Drakes by Barrett. Win win either way. Force Clearys hand to play him in first grade out of spite, pr hand him over. We get him next year possibly semi finals experience and a lot more wiser.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
People need to get over it. He is a bulldog in 2022 not 2021

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a pity (but not unreasonable) that the Panthers have refused to release Burton early to us in 2021... but this soap opera as to whether the Panthers will release Burton early or not, whether there is player trade or not, involving which players, on what terms etc. needs to stop

re-watching the Sharks trial game, I think one of the biggest beneficiaries from bringing Burton across will be Flanagan... I thought he started strong but his kicking game fell away badly with the extra attention he received from the Sharks forwards... that will change with a second option left footed kicker in Burton who will also have the defensive line in two minds as a result of his running game

there are though some longer term benefits in not having Burton come across early and in particular, being able to fully examine whether Averillo and Wakeham have it to play as a FG half... Wakeham did little to alleviate some of the pressure from Flanagan and I doubt Averillo has much of a kicking game

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One injury to a forward and they will be begging us to swap a player..

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wont have a golden run like last year, just like the raiders didnt last year, we will have more leverage when injuries strike. If not in 22 burton addo carr and hopefully staggs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: Penrith owe us nothing. We owe them nothing either. They have no obligation to do anything with Burton.
100% correct , people complaining on here have no
Idea

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there's 2 spots remaining use one for Dietz and leave the other one in the hope someone becomes available during the year.

Burton and Addo Carr will be here in 22, as others have said we just need to get on with things for this year.
I think we only have one spot left don’t we?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we only have one spot left don’t we?
From what’s being said there’s a player who’s been released from top 30 (lower grades and was never a chance of playing first grade).

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I’m kind of over the whole Burton coming in 2021. Now the footy is about to start just focus on what we have.
Agreed. If it happens it happens (and it would be exciting of course), but at this point it feels like Groundhog day and it's distracting us from the season ahead.

Besides, our chances of winning the premiership this year are... let's say slim. So Burton coming next year instead, with the Fox, and all the other signings we are bound to make, will just make next off-season that much more hype lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with a lot of posts in here.

If we had a very promising back up half contracted for this year that could also fill in at centre and possibly as a playmaking lock I doubt our own fans would be urging the club to release him. Despite the fact that both Ratboy and Chloe's gimp husband and Corey Havanawhinge Nowa acted like bitches to get out of contracts, I was still annoyed that the club folded and let them go without getting a positive exchange of a talented player.

It seems like Burton isn't acting out in order to secure a release. While it's not ideal that we aren't getting our spine settled for this season unless Penrith do a surprising backflip on the issue, that's life and I admire the fact that Burton is proving to have some class in the way he's acting right now. I'll be fucked if I want someone that has tendencies to throw hissy fits here at any stage in the future disrupting the rest of the squad.

I don't think this year was ever going to be one where we vie for the premiership. I certainly hope we do, but I'm just hoping we get more competitive in a few key areas like support play, handling and composure when the game is winnable. If we finish in tenth place or above on the ladder I'll consider it a good step in the right direction. We still have JAC coming next year and most likely a few other good signings that will add some spark. Hopefully a few players like Averillo, Wakeham, Atoni, Ogden to name a few step things up and demand that we take notice of them leading into next year. If Penrith do a backflip and release Burton I won't complain, but I'm not holding it against them that they haven't thus far. I wish our club stood their ground more when players wanted out.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
They would look better if they bumped up his salary this year so the kid isn't missing as much in $$$. Plus the State of Origin reason is a load of shite unless there's an injury. With BYE's and scheduling most run on players don't miss that much unless rested.

Ivan still trying to look less of a **** by telling porkies but hey that's his prerogative to keep him.

I'm only caring because I know we will struggle this year with only one half and a substandard hooker.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No thanks, dealing with one Marshall is bad enough let alone two ... plus

Marshall is all about Marshall constantly leaking shit to media
Marshall would have been great for one season. Apart from his obvious footy ability,
he offers something we have lacked for years, and thats leadership. The young guys would learn so much from him.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I can understand clearys reluctance to let him go when you consider origin coming up and a possible injury.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the Pennies pay for this years training and game time, the kid will be a better player for it when he joins next year.

Just so long as he’s signed in blood to play for us in 2022 and is not one of them stupid “heads of agreement”