News We need him this year’: Cleary insists ‘superstar’ Burton key for Panthers

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan sounds like a good fella who really cares !!!

I wonder if he is that good a fella & cares that much that he can top up Burton's $130k per year contract out of his $1 million per year income ???

I don't think so!!!

I suppose, what's the loss of around $300k in one year really worth to a young fella anyways - not to mention realising his dream of playing week to week NRL also, a dream he's been working towards all his life.

Nice work Cleary & Cleary - There's no greed or self interest present in your household is there???

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fuck it would be good if we could knock off Penrith in round 2. It'd really make Ivan look bad to get beaten by Barrett and the media would be all over it.
It's one of those games we'd really like to win. If history's taught us anything though, it's that 'those games' we really really want to win, we always lose.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If he doesn't come across this year then so be it.

He will get experience in a top team to carry him forward to help with our fledgling rebuilt team.

In the meantime we have a few players vying for the 5/8 spot who will get extra detailed coaching from Baz to upskill their raw talent.

We'll just have to look on the positive side of Penrith's decision to deny him his upgraded Bulldogs contract of an extra $300k and a starring role with our team.

It will be tougher on the poor bloke than us.

That might become evident to both Clearys as the year progresses.

Good luck to him this year cos he is gonna be a club great for us for the rest of his career....someone to (maybe) rival Baa.

He will be worth the wait....as frustrating and selfish it is, to deny him his regular fg future.

Cleary is not the greater man so we move forward and develop our own for this year.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Without wishing injury on anyone, if Burton stays at the Panthers this year I hope he plays slot of first grade, preferably in the halves se

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greedy pricks are going to pay a bloke for a full season to cover S00

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without wishing injury on anyone, if Burton stays at the Panthers this year I hope he plays slot of first grade, preferably in the halves se
He won't play. He's there for insurance this year. I don't agree with it, but I understand Penrith's view- having a backup half is so important when you are contending. It sucks for Matt but he shouldn't have signed a long deal in the first place and expect to be released.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Marshall would have been great for one season. Apart from his obvious footy ability,
he offers something we have lacked for years, and thats leadership. The young guys would learn so much from him.
I disagree, who benefited from his leadership at the Dragons, Broncos, and Tigers?, even with Harry Grant in the spine they failed to make the finals.

If he was such a leader and mentor we'd be hearing JMK openly talking about his older brother in his ear giving him tips to help improve his game and playing with greater confidence but you have your opinion and I have mine, JMK continues to live in the shadow of his older brother....the best outcome for JMK was and is for Benji to retire.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree, who benefited from his leadership at the Dragons, Broncos, and Tigers?, even with Harry Grant in the spine they failed to make the finals.

If he was such a leader and mentor we'd be hearing JMK openly talking about his older brother in his ear giving him tips to help improve his game and playing with greater confidence but you have your opinion and I have mine, JMK continues to live in the shadow of his older brother....the best outcome for JMK was and is for Benji to retire.
Couldn’t agree more Benji hasn’t shown any kind of leadership credentials in his career and plays mostly for himself but it’s worked for him. I’m so glad he never came to Belmore.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
If they play him at center it's only going to benefit us

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know most people are sick of the Burton in 21 saga by now but this will story will keep getting regurgitated throughout the season so you better get used to it. As long as the club is keeping a spot open for him (until August 1 according to Assassin) and as long as Burton's manager keeps asking for a release, we'll keep hearing about it....especially if Matt is stuck in CC for most of the season as he is expected to be. The more time he wastes in CC the more noise I expect him to make and so the more stories we'll be reading about it.

If he does stay at Penrith hopefully he gets some decent game time in the halves. Maybe we'll get lucky and Nathan will get suspended for 30 weeks (I like Luai but Nathan just has one of those punchable faces...or should I say chins). What does a bloke have to do to be out for that long?

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If they play him at center it's only going to benefit us
Firstly, they have no intention of playing him at centre, they just upgraded their star centre and recruited Momo,Salmon and have Naden to cover.

Big IF but only if Edwards goes down, Chrichton slots in at fullback, Burton plays left centre ( only scenario for Burton to slot in and play centre)

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t believe these pricks.... they want him as a great back up half?

let him play first grade at the dogs and get his career going

TAS

All In
Reaction score
If this whole saga was exactly the same but in reverse, I would be livid if our club let him go during a year that we had a genuine shot at the title. Quality back up at little cost.

Let's just be grateful that we have signed such a quality young player from next season and move on until then.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The other reason I want Burton early is so they don't have a whole season to try and talk him out of staying and backing out of his contract with us.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As an aside to Eagle1 or Nasheed or anyone else, in the UK Suoer League if you get sin binned you get a yellow card. Sin binned twice in one game is a Red Card.

Munster got sin binned twice in the 2018 GF but didn't have to face the judiciary. Different rules in different comps need to be tidied up by the international board.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Finally Nasheed (Eagle1) is in the sin bin. Whatever alias he uses he always ends up in the sin bin :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Finally the Eagle1 has landed ....poor bloke ... I wonder what he's listening to now on his music thread :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: