We need a whole new team and coach

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's all because of Castle and Dib F'ing up our salary cap. I'm not even going to blame Des for doing what he was told. We'll be back and the next two years will show some promise we can build on to being a top team again. We've seen what our squad has been able to do when it shouldn't and doesn't have the firepower and experience in key positions. Lets start getting it.
The Despot has to wear some blame for neglect of our juniors which exacerbated the salary cap problem. He had too much power. So it was the perfect storm caused by the Three Amigos. But I agree that’s in the past and we must look forward. 2021 is the true start of that, though we must also see what if any impact the Rona has (possible cap reduction etc).

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
drinkwater/milford
jack bird
t flegler
brian kelly/xerri
koroibete/vunavula or addo carr

all players are athletic and most young to help rebuild
OK, your in charge of recruitment.

Now who do you release and what about the coach?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cotric wouldn't' be as hard to entice away from Canberra as most people think. He spends a lot if not most of his time in Sydney with his lebo mates.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be a lot of players coming back after this thing under done and if we are to start recruiting need to see how they perform cause the cap will be lowered to suit the climate means cuts across the board and if we have the cash to get who we want spare without being to stupid we can entice a few good players over offering more money to get them over without the stupid price tags.

I think it’s the end of the stupid salary’s being paid to these player in the near future and in the end will be happy to play football full time this might work in our benefit if the brains recruit propley

I don’t care what anyone says once leagues club are functional again we have one of the strongest leagues club in Sydney

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Recruitment of quality players.. retnention of our good players / cutting loose the deadwood.. and tye coorect decision on Pay (whatever that is).. all needs to start happening.. its the only way out of this mediocrity

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t believe that the Cap will be lowered for 2021 if there is a full season played. The NRL wastes huge amounts of money in so many areas not related to the Cap, that’s where the cuts will be made.

Too many players have legal contracts and to fight everyone of them would cost more in legal costs than paying the contracts at their values. Resigned and new signings won’t accept less than the already contracted players. The player market prices are locked in and they have mortgages and other commitments that mean they aren’t going to change.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whats everyones thoughts of getting all the available Hopoate boys together to see how they go?

We likely wont land any big fish like Fifita (fingers are crossed for Cotric though)... so why not play the field with some players that haven't had a real opportunity yet. Broncos have to spend big to keep their big names so Jamil (backrow) would be easy to pick up and Albert (fullback) is stuck behind Tommy Turbo.
I think they could be good budget buys and Will could help guide them.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Only players i wouldn't be upset signing that are available in the next 2 seasons. Club has a lot of decisions to make especially in regards to our fullback, wings, halves and hooker. I think the forward pack is pretty straight forward in regards to the middles, get Welch who's worth the risk imo and Flegler the following season. Then make a decision on Napa if he's living up to his price tag... if not replace with someone explosive like Leniu.
8. Flegler
10. Welch
13. Thompson
15. To'Omaga
16. Napa / Leniu
would finally give us a middle third that could provide a great platform for our halves.

Off Contract 2020
Fullback: A.Hopoate, T.Sailor, N.Hynes
Wing: J.Addo-Carr (seeking early release), S.Katoa, B.To'o
Centre: N.Cotric, E.Aitken
Halves: L.Lam
Hooker: R.Mahoney, J.Friend, C.Watson, Havili
Front Row: C.Welch (ACL risk), R.James (ACL risk), J.Kerr, F.Molo
Back Row: D.Fifita, J.Hopoate
Bulldogs Off Contract: B.Wakeham, J.Cogger, A.Elliot, R.Mariner, K.Foran, M.Harper, K.Holland, M.Montoya, S.Sue, I.Tass, A.Tolman

Off Contract 2021

Fullback: J.Hughes, S.Drinkwater
Wing: S.Crichton
Centre: K.Staggs, B.Xerri, H.Smith-Shields
Halves: J.Luai, M.Burton, C.Tracey, A.Milford
Hooker: C.McInnes, S.Verrills
Front Row: T.Flegler, S.Leniu
Back Row: L.Martin
Bulldogs Off Contract: J.Averillo, D.Britt, C.Circhton, W.Hopoate, S.Katoa, L.Lewis, J.Marshall-King, N.Meaney, D.Napa, O.Odgen, J.Roumanos, C.Smith, R.Smith, R.To'Omaga

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol thats what happens when the players have no idea what to do in attack when there is no structure, and whos fault is that?
Hahaha you still have no idea. Pay hater your feelings are not shared at Board level or amongst playing group. Pay has instilled guts into this side. Yes we had a bad game against Cows...shit happens. Pays going nowhere. You can go to the knackery now.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also need some better supporters too...........just sayin'........

Malla

Reaction score
Unfortunately looks like we can't do shit until 2022 with this virus bullshit.

Averillo needs to be signed long term. Elliot looks good this year - if he continues with that, plus Luke Thompson and tail end of JJ's career - we can potentially have a run at a premiership but there's no chance in hell that is happening with this coach. At best Pay is an assistance defensive coach.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unfortunately looks like we can't do shit until 2022 with this virus bullshit.

Averillo needs to be signed long term. Elliot looks good this year - if he continues with that, plus Luke Thompson and tail end of JJ's career - we can potentially have a run at a premiership but there's no chance in hell that is happening with this coach. At best Pay is an assistance defensive coach.
Coronoavirus isn't going to affect our 2021 recruitment in a negative way.

I can't see us winning a premiership until 2024 but I expect us to be a mainstay finals team (potentially make a top four) from 2021 onwards.

Pay will stay until a top coach is available (Flanagan only coach I see on the horizon) or he has a horrible season with the 2021 roster - when we actually will have expectations worth noting. If you need an example look at the Knights from 2018 onwards (and we're better than their 2017 roster in almost every way).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

I can't see us winning a premiership until 2024 but I expect us to be a mainstay finals team (potentially make a top four) from 2021 onwards.

Pay will stay until a top coach is available (Flanagan only coach I see on the horizon) or he has a horrible season with the 2021 roster - when we actually will have expectations worth noting. If you need an example look at the Knights from 2018 onwards (and we're better than their 2017 roster in almost every way).
Agree with this except the Flanagan part. God I hope we never hire that grub!

Malla

Reaction score

It will impact our recruitment if there is talk of the salary cap reducing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It will impact our recruitment if there is talk of the salary cap reducing.
How? It decreases for every club. Current players will have to take a % decrease depending on how much the salary cap decreases. E.g. if Josh Jackson is on 600k and the salary cap decreases by 50% he'll be on 300k afterwards. It isn't exactly that simple (higher end players will take more of a pay cut than minimal wage players) but that's the principle. You're not looking into it enough if that's your opinion. There is no world where we lose the salary cap % we are going to have to spend for 2021 (our "advantage" in the transfer market) therefore nothing changes except how much the player receives (which doesn't matter to us, it's the % they're on in the salary cap that does matter).

Last edited:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha you still have no idea. Pay hater your feelings are not shared at Board level or amongst playing group. Pay has instilled guts into this side. Yes we had a bad game against Cows...shit happens. Pays going nowhere. You can go to the knackery now.
You and many others on here would bestow a Knighthood if possible.

Sir Dean Pay.

Malla

Reaction score
How? It decreases for every club. Current players will have to take a % decrease depending on how much the salary cap decreases. E.g. if Josh Jackson is on 600k and the salary cap decreases by 50% he'll be on 300k afterwards. It isn't exactly that simple (higher end players will take more of a pay cut than minimal wage players) but that's the principle. You're not looking into it enough if that's your opinion. There is no world where we lose the salary cap % we are going to have to spend for 2021 (our "advantage" in the transfer market) therefore nothing changes except how much the player receives (which doesn't matter to us, it's the % they're on in the salary cap that does matter).
It means we can't pay overs for anyone because that's the only way we are signing anyone to the Bulldogs lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It means we can't pay overs for anyone because that's the only way we are signing anyone to the Bulldogs lol
We can still pay overs. Everything is just going to be at a lesser scale. We can still give the same overs % increase according to the new salary cap. E.g. if Fifita was signed for 1m and we gave him 200k in overs (so we're saying he's "worth" 800k), on the new salary cap, lets say it's reduced by 50% again, he'll be on 500k which is 100k in overs (on the new salary cap he's "worth" 400k). Either way it's 20% extra. In theory this actually helps us as a player on a smaller amount is going to feel that increase more which is more of an incentive to sign with us.

Now regarding the salary cap I think players will have something in their contract where as the salary cap starts to go back up (which I think will be quite quick) so will their contracts until they're back at what they were pre coronavirus.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
We can still pay overs. Everything is just going to be at a lesser scale. We can still give the same overs % increase according to the new salary cap. E.g. if Fifita was signed for 1m and we gave him 200k in overs (so we're saying he's "worth" 800k), on the new salary cap, lets say it's reduced by 50% again, he'll be on 500k which is 100k in overs (on the new salary cap he's "worth" 400k). Either way it's 20% extra.
It doesn't work like that lol a players market value doesn't change because the salary cap decreases (I don't know why you are talking about 50%).

Any current contracts are not impacted, future signing are. Hence why this will impact recruitment because if we go from having 3mil in cap space down to 2 mil and 5 spots to fill, these will be filled with sub par talent. It's not going to be a situation (as you say) where because the salary cap has dropped a player will accept % less in line with the drop lol are you guessing here? Are these assumptions?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that lol a players market value doesn't change because the salary cap decreases (I don't know why you are talking about 50%).

Any current contracts are not impacted, future signing are. Hence why this will impact recruitment because if we go from having 3mil in cap space down to 2 mil and 5 spots to fill, these will be filled with sub par talent. It's not going to be a situation (as you say) where because the salary cap has dropped a player will accept % less in line with the drop lol are you guessing here? Are these assumptions?
You're wrong and not smart enough to comprehend what I'm saying (or the situation at all really). No point continuing this. I gave you 50% as an e.g. because it's easier to calculate. You can use whatever % you think the salary cap will decrease by but the principle is the same.