We need a whole new team and coach

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is correct.
But we do/did have things going for us.
Facilities, history etc.

I thought we were going well when we were talking about the family club and saying things like 'we ride together, we die together' and 'death before dishonour' and 'loyalty is everything' but we undid all of this when we hung CHN on a meat hook to please the Rashay guy, who isn't sponsoring us anyway.

So we have lost the only advantage we have. I bet Thommo is filthy.
Also hearing some of our newer recruits feel they have been lied too and sold a dump, but can't verify that at all.
Interesting last sentence, can you elaborate even if it's not verified at this point bro.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting last sentence, can you elaborate even if it's not verified at this point bro.
Just that they were enticed with talk of 'we will always look after one of our own as family' and they bought into a culture where they had support from above, but are now seeing it's just do gooder talk and are a bit deflated. And it could have ramifications of another club comes in with a big offer because they aren't buying in anymore.

This is what I feared would happen.
Siege mentality and backing your players breeds loyalty.
Look at how certain players will back Bennett and Stuart with their last breath? Look at how players in the past would support Alan Jones when he took them under his wing.
Look at how Mike Tyson is loyal to Trump because Trump supported him in the 80s when he was criticised.

players, especially area boys, respect loyalty. This is how we should have been able to sign players under their market value.
FTW!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just that they were enticed with talk of 'we will always look after one of our own as family' and they bought into a culture where they had support from above, but are now seeing it's just do gooder talk and are a bit deflated. And it could have ramifications of another club comes in with a big offer because they aren't buying in anymore.

This is what I feared would happen.
Siege mentality and backing your players breeds loyalty.
Look at how certain players will back Bennett and Stuart with their last breath? Look at how players in the past would support Alan Jones when he took them under his wing.
Look at how Mike Tyson is loyal to Trump because Trump supported him in the 80s when he was criticised.

players, especially area boys, respect loyalty. This is how we should have been able to sign players under their market value.
FTW!
Thank you. I appreciate the elaboration.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And even with millions to spend you think we will recruit well with a dud coach in pay?
Did I say that? If you read the last two words in my statement (full revamp) that means coach an all included.!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It depends what you mean by wisely. We can't recruit like a top club. If you just mean recruiting in X position then we can do that if it's available.
So how did Newcastle do it with a proven, recognised, acknowledged and we’ll known around the world dud coach? Players might have a question mark about Pay, but Brown was a whole level of incompetence worse.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So how did Newcastle do it with a proven, recognised, acknowledged and we’ll known around the world dud coach? Players might have a question mark about Pay, but Brown was a whole level of incompetence worse.

Go Dogs
Exactly. The Knights took a risk on Ponga and paid 'overs' on a few key players (Guerra, Pearce, Glasby, Klemmer, Lee and a couple of others). Now that they're at least a mid table team they're in a much better position to attract a bigger pool of players for 'what they're worth' (J. Brailey, Frizell). They also did this with a much worse base then what we currently have. As we can see it's very possible and there isn't any excuses to why we won't have a competitive squad for 2021. Like you said at worst Pay has to same reputation as Brown. They're both rebuild coaches and will be given the flick if they're unable to meet expectations with their roster once the rebuild is "complete". The squad has to come before the top coach.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly thought Pay may have been able to attract some talent from Canberra. If not an established star but some young talented kids ready to play first grade but haven’t had a chance yet. He would have had a first hand look being down there for a few years.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I honestly thought Pay may have been able to attract some talent from Canberra. If not an established star but some young talented kids ready to play first grade but haven’t had a chance yet. He would have had a first hand look being down there for a few years.
Guler is one we can look at for 2022. It's going to be hard for him to get a starting spot at the Raiders with Papalii and Horsburgh there.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we really going to start talking about 2022 now? We've gotta show some balls now and buy big.

Missed out on Mitchel and looks the right call. Need a big buy or something close

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Guler is one we can look at for 2022. It's going to be hard for him to get a starting spot at the Raiders with Papalii and Horsburgh there.
He has potential but we can’t wait till 2022. I’m thinking it was more an agreement with Sticky that he wouldn’t take any players unless offered by sticky.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are we really going to start talking about 2022 now? We've gotta show some balls now and buy big.

Missed out on Mitchel and looks the right call. Need a big buy or something close
Who’s even available though ...

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stephan Crichton,Nathan brown and Nick cotric should be our buys next yr

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Stephan Crichton,Nathan brown and Nick cotric should be our buys next yr
Crichton is signed until 2022.

Brown is a dick head, wouldn’t have him anywhere near my team. He got the flick from the Tigers following a brawl with his team mates. After not being resigned for the Wabbits for his continued on field “discretions”.

Which leaves Cotric, who is unsigned for next year, and the best of the 3 by some margin. He’s a Canberra junior, so would need some enticing (=$’s) to move

Go Dogs

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
paying overs enticing just 1 marque player to the team will do nothing for recruitment, the club has to spend up big on 3 maybe 4 marque or top-line players so that in future seasons possible new recruits can see we have the makings of a good team

the team have to look the part to play the part, at the moment we look pretty ordinary to fans and supporters

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milford, fifita,xerri,Cameron Smith.
paying overs enticing just 1 marque player to the team will do nothing for recruitment, the club has to spend up big on 3 maybe 4 marque or top-line players so that in future seasons possible new recruits can see we have the makings of a good team

the team have to look the part to play the part, at the moment we look pretty ordinary to fans and supporters

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Milford, fifita,xerri,Cameron Smith.
Best case scenario is Fifita, Cotric and Friend to add to Thompson. JAC and Milford are other players we can look at if we miss out on one of those three or we have salary cap left over. If it isn't those exact players that's what we're looking at in quality and quantity. We ain't getting Milford, Fifita, Xerri (almost no chance) and C. Smith (no chance).

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote before that you cant win a Melbourne Cup with a camel. That's what Dean Pay is stuck with, a team of camels.
Until such times the roster is bought up to scratch, very little will happen.
We have the nucleus of a good side, but just need a few quality additions to make it really good.
Some of the young guys will improve when play resumes. I have high hopes for Averillo, Tass, to go to the next level.

#PAYSTAYS.
Even this camel is faster and more co-ordinated than our team.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
drinkwater/milford
jack bird
t flegler
brian kelly/xerri
koroibete/vunavula or addo carr

all players are athletic and most young to help rebuild

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It is so depressing that we are probably 5-8 years past our "premiership window" and we are in need of a total rebuild. We should be in the window again by now.

If we are lucky, we might be in that window by 2030.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It is so depressing that we are probably 5-8 years past our "premiership window" and we are in need of a total rebuild. We should be in the window again by now.

If we are lucky, we might be in that window by 2030.
It's all because of Castle and Dib F'ing up our salary cap. I'm not even going to blame Des for doing what he was told. We'll be back and the next two years will show some promise we can build on to being a top team again. We've seen what our squad has been able to do when it shouldn't and doesn't have the firepower and experience in key positions. Lets start getting it.