We need a 5 year plan

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The club has one, TBAZ has one, Even us as supporters know there is one .. !! We have been waiting patiently considering, but the club knows what’s required.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You just have to listen to Tbaz and Warburton over the last few months to know they do have short term and long term plans in place. Just because it’s not been publicised doesn’t mean it isn’t there. It is something you’d want to keep in house just look at the ridicule Castle and Gould copped after their 5 year plans were made public.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just think people are getting way too caught up in what Penrith are doing. Like you said the Storm have successfully done this over an extended period and they've had like 3? players from Victoria actually make their debut for them.
Yeah exactly. They don’t need to be “local”. You just need to get them in the system early.

It’s actually easier for Penrith because they have such a big area. We just need good scouts

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One thing we don't do is get ruthless with our roster management where and when we need to. We are ok to get rid of captains (Ennis etc) and take short sighted views on guns like the Morris Boys, but that's all in the past. Roosters are sharp. They make decisions with definite positive impact in mind. Melbourne tap the queensland market hard and smart clubs are starting to tap PNG etc to find massive, fast, athletic wingers. We never seem to set a trend and a slow to follow. I think we are kind of trying to head in the right direction and no matter what we do right now, we will have to pay overs as we are at the bottom of the table. Lastly, one thing Baz has to do asap, is start blooding players in positions where he knows he will be cutting others. Get them experience now!

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
check this out, everyone laughed at Goulds 5 year plan. Sure it took a little longer but he was spot on imo. I believe we are putting in place steps to revive our junior systems which is a good thing. Personally I originally didn't want to entertain the idea that we would need so long to get back to where we want to be but if I think our way out if this mess is to emulate the Panthers system. Forget about the quick fix, we wont be able to buy our way out of this like the Roosters for example and personally I think it would feel better as a fan of the Bulldogs to win a premiership with something like 70% at least team filled with dogs juniors. We need to fix our talent scouts big time. View attachment 23059
So Panthers to win the comp this year? They’d want to, with all the hot air that gets blown about re. the “system”...

So they should, they have a nursery that is the envy of all the clubs. Fact is, this nursery has always been there. They have the pick of the young gun Polynesian stars and just about everybody else...The area loves rugby league too

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You just have to listen to Tbaz and Warburton over the last few months to know they do have short term and long term plans in place. Just because it’s not been publicised doesn’t mean it isn’t there. It is something you’d want to keep in house just look at the ridicule Castle and Gould copped after their 5 year plans were made public.
Castle was way over the top. She believed in her own woman steamroller hype. Remember her blog with moderated questions and answers?

Malla

Reaction score
One thing we don't do is get ruthless with our roster management where and when we need to. We are ok to get rid of captains (Ennis etc) and take short sighted views on guns like the Morris Boys, but that's all in the past. Roosters are sharp. They make decisions with definite positive impact in mind. Melbourne tap the queensland market hard and smart clubs are starting to tap PNG etc to find massive, fast, athletic wingers. We never seem to set a trend and a slow to follow. I think we are kind of trying to head in the right direction and no matter what we do right now, we will have to pay overs as we are at the bottom of the table. Lastly, one thing Baz has to do asap, is start blooding players in positions where he knows he will be cutting others. Get them experience now!
Morris boys didn't wanna be at Belmore. Don't believe everything you read in the media - they wanted out when Des was on his way out cause they knew we were not going to be playing finals in a while and didnt want to waste their last few years in first grade.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I do believe we should invest more time and effort into our junior development but clearly, it’s not a showstopper, Roosters and Storm are the prime examples, have near zero juniors but recruit exceptionally well and have a good eye for young talent.

Our advantage is we have a solid junior nursery underpinning it all. The fact we are financially strong adds to the equation, but it means sweet FA if we make poor decisions...

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought our 5 yr plan was to win 2 premierships, oh wait...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get annoyed every time I hear Gould and his 5 year plan mentioned. He had a couple of things to do at Penrith. The first was to get their debt under control. Given that they have a huge leagues club in an area where the pokies would be pretty popular as well as a few other recreational facilities that generate money it was a task that a monkey with a below average IQ should have been able to achieve. Secondly they needed to get their cap back in order and make the right decisions with juniors and senior players and coaching. It wasn't until well after Gould left that the club really nailed all of this. But he'll always claim credit for credit for most of it despite the fact that people before his time ensured ongoing financial success by creating facilities that could unload money from the young and old alike in an area that has few other recreational options. And on the back of that financial success he was able to build this supposedly cutting edge junior facility.

In our case there are definitely areas that need to be bought up to speed asap. Unless things have changed once again over the last couple of years we increased our catchment of juniors by sponsoring some regional areas to draw juniors from. But the plan there was to create a system where kids would complete their schooling in those regions before being moved into our training system. Along the way the club were supposedly going to improve the coaches and systems through these regional clubs. I hope we start seeing some talent filter in from these country regions soon to establish whether the strategy is showing results. But I honestly don't follow the juniors well enough to know where most of our youngsters have played their junior football. In the meantime I certainly hope we're also looking at getting a great network in place with regards to our talent scouting.

In the meantime we do have to nail our recruitment for the NRL roster. It makes a huge difference to how juniors transition into the NRL if they're not expected to perform miracles based on their potential. The quality of the team they walk into will go a long way to giving them the confidence to quickly live up to their potential.

But fuck well publicized 5 year plans that are designed as self promotion. Would rather we keep improving every facet of the club without having some shameless self promoter shouting from the rooftops about it.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get annoyed every time I hear Gould and his 5 year plan mentioned. He had a couple of things to do at Penrith. The first was to get their debt under control. Given that they have a huge leagues club in an area where the pokies would be pretty popular as well as a few other recreational facilities that generate money it was a task that a monkey with a below average IQ should have been able to achieve. Secondly they needed to get their cap back in order and make the right decisions with juniors and senior players and coaching. It wasn't until well after Gould left that the club really nailed all of this. But he'll always claim credit for credit for most of it despite the fact that people before his time ensured ongoing financial success by creating facilities that could unload money from the young and old alike in an area that has few other recreational options. And on the back of that financial success he was able to build this supposedly cutting edge junior facility.

In our case there are definitely areas that need to be bought up to speed asap. Unless things have changed once again over the last couple of years we increased our catchment of juniors by sponsoring some regional areas to draw juniors from. But the plan there was to create a system where kids would complete their schooling in those regions before being moved into our training system. Along the way the club were supposedly going to improve the coaches and systems through these regional clubs. I hope we start seeing some talent filter in from these country regions soon to establish whether the strategy is showing results. But I honestly don't follow the juniors well enough to know where most of our youngsters have played their junior football. In the meantime I certainly hope we're also looking at getting a great network in place with regards to our talent scouting.

In the meantime we do have to nail our recruitment for the NRL roster. It makes a huge difference to how juniors transition into the NRL if they're not expected to perform miracles based on their potential. The quality of the team they walk into will go a long way to giving them the confidence to quickly live up to their potential.

But fuck well publicized 5 year plans that are designed as self promotion. Would rather we keep improving every facet of the club without having some shameless self promoter shouting from the rooftops about it.
Gus is a massive reason we are in the position we are now along with a few others like Matt Cameron and Ivan and more. Also the 5 year plan was a myth created by the media after Gus said it'd take about that long to sort the off field issues. They ran with it as the 5 year plan to win a premiership.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The phrase "5 year plan" is a shortcut to divisiveness. It all depends on what you think the phrase means. You might feel pretty negative about the term if you still shake your head and kick something every time someone reminds you of the "2 premierships by 2019" stupidity.

But, if we are talking about serious efforts to develop players, like we did with many of the players in and around the 2004 season, then I can't see anyone other than @BEAST MODE having any complaints. It was obvious that the Des era dismantled our development system. One of the good things the Andersons did was begin the process of ramping up development again. Baz is clearly keen to keep this going. We need to get back to the point where we were bringing serious talent into the fold when they could learn our systems at junior level.

It is hard not to feel that to some degree our experiences with JT, SBW, and Barba may have taken some of the gloss off of junior development, however JT and SBW had a hand in 2004 premiership, and the lessons from what happened in relation to these incredible juniors isn't to ditch juniors, it lies elsewhere.

And again, the NRL/ARLC could help a LOT with this by introducing some sort of system of transfer fees or junior development offsets.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I do believe we should invest more time and effort into our junior development but clearly, it’s not a showstopper, Roosters and Storm are the prime examples, have near zero juniors but recruit exceptionally well and have a good eye for young talent.

Our advantage is we have a solid junior nursery underpinning it all. The fact we are financially strong adds to the equation, but it means sweet FA if we make poor decisions...
Melbourne juniors come from SE Qld, their Intrust Super Cup affiliate clubs are currently the Sunshine Coast Falcons and Brisbane Tigers. For the last decade and especially the last few years they have the pick of the crop and the Donkeys get the left overs. The Titans have to buy theirs, but they are fast becoming the second choice, with the Donkeys bottom of the list. Which may even be pushed lower when the new SE Qld NRL team is in the market.

The Chooks, well they just buy players, that's their model, whether they be juniors, undeveloped or developed players. But they really have no choice as the teams/players in the area are mostly all Souths Juniors.

Go Dogs

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Melbourne juniors come from SE Qld, their Intrust Super Cup affiliate clubs are currently the Sunshine Coast Falcons and Brisbane Tigers. For the last decade and especially the last few years they have the pick of the crop and the Donkeys get the left overs. The Titans have to buy theirs, but they are fast becoming the second choice, with the Donkeys bottom of the list. Which may even be pushed lower when the new SE Qld NRL team is in the market.

The Chooks, well they just buy players, that's their model, whether they be juniors, undeveloped or developed players. But they really have no choice as the teams/players in the area are mostly all Souths Juniors.

Go Dogs
they have an academy as well but i have no idea how many are victorians and how many ar from that SE QLD region

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So half of the top 8 has old players and the other half young. Shows you can do it both ways

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The phrase "5 year plan" is a shortcut to divisiveness. It all depends on what you think the phrase means. You might feel pretty negative about the term if you still shake your head and kick something every time someone reminds you of the "2 premierships by 2019" stupidity.

But, if we are talking about serious efforts to develop players, like we did with many of the players in and around the 2004 season, then I can't see anyone other than @BEAST MODE having any complaints. It was obvious that the Des era dismantled our development system. One of the good things the Andersons did was begin the process of ramping up development again. Baz is clearly keen to keep this going. We need to get back to the point where we were bringing serious talent into the fold when they could learn our systems at junior level.

It is hard not to feel that to some degree our experiences with JT, SBW, and Barba may have taken some of the gloss off of junior development, however JT and SBW had a hand in 2004 premiership, and the lessons from what happened in relation to these incredible juniors isn't to ditch juniors, it lies elsewhere.

And again, the NRL/ARLC could help a LOT with this by introducing some sort of system of transfer fees or junior development offsets.
:(

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus is a massive reason we are in the position we are now along with a few others like Matt Cameron and Ivan and more. Also the 5 year plan was a myth created by the media after Gus said it'd take about that long to sort the off field issues. They ran with it as the 5 year plan to win a premiership.
I just don't think he was as much of an integral part of that as he would lead people to believe. The two big strengths the club had when he started were that you had the facilities to generate strong finances and you had a superb breeding ground for juniors. As much as I have read about the situation was that the club had taken out a questionable loan that needed to be renegotiated and you were overpaying for some players. As long as you got people in charge that weren't willing to squander those major advantages a lesser known face could have led the rebuild and not a huge amount would be different.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
they have an academy as well but i have no idea how many are victorians and how many ar from that SE QLD region
Their Academy is on the Sunshine Coast, I think that answers the question.

Go Dogs