We need a 5 year plan

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Their Academy is on the Sunshine Coast, I think that answers the question.

Go Dogs
i knew they had 1 there, but thought i read somewhere a while ago they were having one in victoria as well, probably misread it. they have 5 academy schools in victoria. That been said, Ive been in melbourne for 4 years, and havent seen any junior Rugby league advertised

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i knew they had 1 there, but thought i read somewhere a while ago they were having one in victoria as well, probably misread it. they have 5 academy schools in victoria. That been said, Ive been in melbourne for 4 years, and havent seen any junior Rugby league advertised
Advertising/promoting NRL juniors in Melbourne is banned, any journalist even mentioning NRL is banned by the AFL for life.

Go Dogs

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get annoyed every time I hear Gould and his 5 year plan mentioned. He had a couple of things to do at Penrith. The first was to get their debt under control. Given that they have a huge leagues club in an area where the pokies would be pretty popular as well as a few other recreational facilities that generate money it was a task that a monkey with a below average IQ should have been able to achieve. Secondly they needed to get their cap back in order and make the right decisions with juniors and senior players and coaching. It wasn't until well after Gould left that the club really nailed all of this. But he'll always claim credit for credit for most of it despite the fact that people before his time ensured ongoing financial success by creating facilities that could unload money from the young and old alike in an area that has few other recreational options. And on the back of that financial success he was able to build this supposedly cutting edge junior facility.

In our case there are definitely areas that need to be bought up to speed asap. Unless things have changed once again over the last couple of years we increased our catchment of juniors by sponsoring some regional areas to draw juniors from. But the plan there was to create a system where kids would complete their schooling in those regions before being moved into our training system. Along the way the club were supposedly going to improve the coaches and systems through these regional clubs. I hope we start seeing some talent filter in from these country regions soon to establish whether the strategy is showing results. But I honestly don't follow the juniors well enough to know where most of our youngsters have played their junior football. In the meantime I certainly hope we're also looking at getting a great network in place with regards to our talent scouting.

In the meantime we do have to nail our recruitment for the NRL roster. It makes a huge difference to how juniors transition into the NRL if they're not expected to perform miracles based on their potential. The quality of the team they walk into will go a long way to giving them the confidence to quickly live up to their potential.

But fuck well publicized 5 year plans that are designed as self promotion. Would rather we keep improving every facet of the club without having some shameless self promoter shouting from the rooftops about it.
“5 year plans” are code for “we don’t know what the hell we are doing, so give us time figure it out - while we get paid big bucks”

On Phil Gould - all he does is try to get all of this mates plum jobs...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So Panthers to win the comp this year? They’d want to, with all the hot air that gets blown about re. the “system”...

So they should, they have a nursery that is the envy of all the clubs.
The area loves rugby league too
Penrith area loves rugby league.. Our area loves a good garlic chicken kebab..

And thats how both are playing..