Opinion We must nail our 2022 recruitment

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So who is our C Cup fb next year then?
Meaney's still contracted for next year. Meaney is a good back up option. I think he'd more than struggle to find another NRL club that'd start him at fullback.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Easily our safest? Doubt. Re-signing Meaney at this stage would be up there with re-signing Lewis last season...just idiotic.
agree, meaney would not make another nrl team as fullback. if he was to stay it would be on base money

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our priority should be
Staggs
Burton
Mc inness
Id even take on ferguson, as he wont be resigned in 2021

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney's still contracted for next year. Meaney is a good back up option. I think he'd more than struggle to find another NRL club that'd start him at fullback.
It was rhetorical. Of course its meaney.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It was rhetorical. Of course its meaney.
Okay so to answer your next question. Since I don't see (and others too) Meaney having potential and being a starting fullback at a NRL club, you'd keep him as back up playing reserve grade until we have someone else coming through (or we buy from elsewhere) more promising to play fullback. It isn't bad to extend Meaney for an additional year if we don't have that player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And the year after? Because that's what he was alluding to.
I'm not worried about re-signing Meaney now so we have a reserve grade fullback for 2022 lol. There's so much that can happen between now and then..no need to rush.

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Easily our safest? Doubt. Re-signing Meaney at this stage would be up there with re-signing Lewis last season...just idiotic.
I agree I wouldn’t be rushing to resigning Meaney and I couldn’t think of a better example than Lewis (wtf were they thinking)?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all know Meaney is not up to first grade standard,but he was the best of a bad bunch,I honestly lost count the amount of times he got the ball at the end of a movement,instead of going straight to the line,came back infield and was nailed by the defence,lacks confidence,and speed,and defensively not up to scratch,I will b surprised if barret even starts with him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okay so to answer your next question. Since I don't see (and others too) Meaney having potential and being a starting fullback at a NRL club, you'd keep him as back up playing reserve grade until we have someone else coming through (or we buy from elsewhere) more promising to play fullback. It isn't bad to extend Meaney for an additional year if we don't have that player.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. I do think he has potential though. People are very quick to write off players in our team when the team itself is doing shit. Once we get some quality players around these guys they will look a hell of a lot better. Classic example is Brenko Lee. I always thought he had potential, and now he is at the storm he is suddenly a gf winning SOO player. I still don't think he is an incredible talent, but when he is surrounded by many good players, he naturally becomes better himself. As would Meaney.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I'm saying. I do think he has potential though. People are very quick to write off players in our team when the team itself is doing shit. Once we get some quality players around these guys they will look a hell of a lot better. Classic example is Brenko Lee. I always thought he had potential, and now he is at the storm he is suddenly a gf winning SOO player. I still don't think he is an incredible talent, but when he is surrounded by many good players, he naturally becomes better himself. As would Meaney.
If Meaney gets a chance through injury then it's up to him to change what people think about him. I'm just going off what I've seen/think.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be re-signing anyone until round 10 at the earliest so many of those players have had way more chances to show something then they would have at any other club over the last few years and the haven't taken their opportunities. Anyone off contract at the end of 21 is going to need a monster year to get a new deal.

JMK would the first to go for mine being able to play multiple positions means nothing when you play each very poorly.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know this is "your opinion" but geez, can you say he has had a really bad game ? Every playing roster needs their back ups, solid first graders, stars and mister reliable. He ticks at least 2-3 boxes. A must keep with definite potential.
He’s had a shit load of bad games. Against manly last where he got rag dolled by suli then vs the storm When he showed no urgency to save 2 tries, same against parra when he watched gutho score I could go on for a week.
I don’t see any hope in him and britt

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate brenko lee,did ok in the major semi,but was totally outplayed in the grand final,I cannot believe he is the best option at centre for Queensland,.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You talk about getting recruitment right yet then mention re-signing Meaney lol.
I have to say that I would want to keep Meaner on the books... he was one of a few that did well and has potential... at worst he is a back up player which we need for depth

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have to say that I would want to keep Meaner on the books... he was one of a few that did well and has potential... at worst he is a back up player which we need for depth
I don't disagree that he's okay depth, I just don't see any need to sign someone of his ability before a ball is even kicked.