Opinion We must nail our 2022 recruitment

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see, you don’t like the points but have no counters so you resort to personal attacks. You have already lost.

Go Dogs
Telling someone they have no idea is not a personal attack Greta!

Just have a look at your track record and give it up bud

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I know this is "your opinion" but geez, can you say he has had a really bad game ? Every playing roster needs their back ups, solid first graders, stars and mister reliable. He ticks at least 2-3 boxes. A must keep with definite potential.
No team in the comp will ever win the gf with meany at fb.
It’s really that simple.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With November 1 just passing us, it is vital that we nail our retention and recruitement for 2022 over the next 6 weeks. If we nail this, it should set us up for a few years to be a consistent top 6 team.

It seems we do not have many juniors knocking the door down for first grade, which is a shame.

What are peoples thoughts on retention and recruitement?

I would be locking up Averillo, Flanagan & Thompson up until 2025

I would also re-sign Meaney and JMK as backups

I would be releasing
Napa
Chris Smith
Hopoate
Lewis
Sione Katoa
Dean Britt
Remis Smith

My targets would be
Sitili Tupouniua
Crichton
Staggs
Xavier Coates
Emre Guler
Sam Verrells
McInnes
Matt Burton

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
With November 1 just passing us, it is vital that we nail our retention and recruitement for 2022 over the next 6 weeks. If we nail this, it should set us up for a few years to be a consistent top 6 team.

It seems we do not have many juniors knocking the door down for first grade, which is a shame.

What are peoples thoughts on retention and recruitement?

I would be locking up Averillo, Flanagan & Thompson up until 2025

I would also re-sign Meaney and JMK as backups

I would be releasing
Napa
Chris Smith
Hopoate
Lewis
Sione Katoa
Dean Britt
Remis Smith

My targets would be
Sitili Tupouniua
Crichton
Staggs
Xavier Coates
Emre Guler
Sam Verrells
McInnes
Matt Burton
Nasheed here,
We should be getting our recruitment right every year.

As for your list this is what I'll do
Napa- if he has a good season re-sign on half the amount
Chris Smith - depending on 2021 season but he's good atm
Hopoate- cut, and literally kick him in the bum on the way out. He's cancer for us.
Lewis- wait on 2021 form
Sione Katoa- cut
Dean Britt- cut
Remis Smith- revise during season

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with shedding those you've listed+ shop DWZ for as much as we can get (too inconsistent and full of mistakes) I think Meaney is worth keeping as back up as he could develop further under Barrett and he would be on close to minimum wage you would think - unless we can score an even better back up fullback for cheap. I thought that young Panthers fullback who went to the Raiders might have been worth considering.

I also agree with many of these targets. By 2022 I'd like to see us having signed
Matt Burton
JAC
1. Harry Grant OR 2. Brandon Smith OR 3. Sam Verrells OR 4. Cameron McInnes OR 5. Daryl Clarke (at the least)
Stephen Crichton OR Staggs
Sitili Tupouniua or Angus Crichton (we need more strike from a forward)
Christian Welch
Corey Allen

So my dream team by 2022 would be. With this side I think we could go even better than top 4. Okunbor, Allen, Burton, Flanagan, Ogden would be fairly cheap and only one close to million dollar player (Grant) so it's doable.

1 Josh Addo-Carr
2 Jayden Okunbor
3 Nick Cotric
4 Stephen Crichton / Kotoni Staggs
5 Corey Allen
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Christian Welch
9 Harry Grant / Brandon Smith
10 Ofahiki Ogden
11 RFM
12 Angus Crichton / Sitili Tupouniua
13 Luke Thompson

14 Adam Elliott
15 Josh Jackson
16 Renouf Toomaga
17 Jack Hetherington
18 Joe Stimson / Corey Waddell

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
According the “signings tracker” on nrl.com we have “confirmed”our top 29 players, Does that mean Green is in or out. Is the JAC swap deal still possible or already done ?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
According the “signings tracker” on nrl.com we have “confirmed”our top 29 players, Does that mean Green is in or out. Is the JAC swap deal still possible or already done ?
we have to nominate minimum 24 players "signed contracts" by today and 29 by 29th March. So the list can change of course, we can release players and sign players before March deadline

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
we have to nominate minimum 24 players "signed contracts" by today and 29 by 29th March. So the list can change of course, we can release players and sign players before March deadline
Ah ok, I was just a bit concerned about our flexibility. At the bottom of the article it mentioned us and the cowboys had already confirmed our top 29.Like everyone else I am hoping we may still get JAC and Burton.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of your post but 2021 recruitment still needs to be the focus.

Hooker (need to get someone on contract, imo)
Cameron McInnes
Sam Verrills

Prop
Spencer Leniu
Thomas Flegler
Emre Guler

Centre
Stephen Crichton
Kotoni Staggs

Wing
Xavier Coates

Matt Burton obviously, ideally for 2021.
Sitili Tupouniua's a great player but we're stacked in the second row.

We also have Jackson Topine, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Aaron Schoupp and Devontai Seumanutafa coming through. I think all of them except BBO definitely should be in our plans for 2022 and beyond (when looking at our roster).

I wouldn't 100% release Hopoate and Reimis (dependant on next year, maybe cut throat with Hopoate due to the two centres above available, similar to Panthers and Mansour). The others I have no problem with getting rid.

I wouldn't be extending Thompson, he was disappointing this year (possibly has his reasons) and he'll need a big year next year.
Agree with most with the exception of Thompson, I thought he was underrated and better than his assessment on here (he’s a quality player). The only forward outside of RFM who took it up hard consistently and maintained aggression. Also, Reimis Smith is 250-300K of cap space we could better use.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree with most with the exception of Thompson, I thought he was underrated and better than his assessment on here (he’s a quality player). The only forward outside of RFM who took it up hard consistently and maintained aggression. Also, Reimis Smith is 250-300K of cap space we could better use.
More so, at this stage, it'd be a massively reduced deal if Thompson wanted to stay, he can definitely turn it around. He's on a lot of money so I'm more harsh on him. I think he needs to be more effective with what he's doing and offer a bit more. I hope he has a big year next year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No team in the comp will ever win the gf with meany at fb.
It’s really that simple.
yeah maybe not but they could win with him in the side. eg Gerard Beale on the bench for sharks lol

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with shedding those you've listed+ shop DWZ for as much as we can get (too inconsistent and full of mistakes) I think Meaney is worth keeping as back up as he could develop further under Barrett and he would be on close to minimum wage you would think - unless we can score an even better back up fullback for cheap. I thought that young Panthers fullback who went to the Raiders might have been worth considering.

I also agree with many of these targets. By 2022 I'd like to see us having signed
Matt Burton
JAC
1. Harry Grant OR 2. Brandon Smith OR 3. Sam Verrells OR 4. Cameron McInnes OR 5. Daryl Clarke (at the least)
Stephen Crichton OR Staggs
Sitili Tupouniua or Angus Crichton (we need more strike from a forward)
Christian Welch
Corey Allen

So my dream team by 2022 would be. With this side I think we could go even better than top 4. Okunbor, Allen, Burton, Flanagan, Ogden would be fairly cheap and only one close to million dollar player (Grant) so it's doable.

1 Josh Addo-Carr
2 Jayden Okunbor
3 Nick Cotric
4 Stephen Crichton / Kotoni Staggs
5 Corey Allen
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Christian Welch
9 Harry Grant / Brandon Smith
10 Ofahiki Ogden
11 RFM
12 Angus Crichton / Sitili Tupouniua
13 Luke Thompson

14 Adam Elliott
15 Josh Jackson
16 Renouf Toomaga
17 Jack Hetherington
18 Joe Stimson / Corey Waddell
Fair bit of third party sponsorship to get that team mate .. :tearsofjoy:would be very hard to beat.