Opinion We must nail our 2022 recruitment

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With November 1 just passing us, it is vital that we nail our retention and recruitement for 2022 over the next 6 weeks. If we nail this, it should set us up for a few years to be a consistent top 6 team.

It seems we do not have many juniors knocking the door down for first grade, which is a shame.

What are peoples thoughts on retention and recruitement?

I would be locking up Averillo, Flanagan & Thompson up until 2025

I would also re-sign Meaney and JMK as backups

I would be releasing
Napa
Chris Smith
Hopoate
Lewis
Sione Katoa
Dean Britt
Remis Smith

My targets would be
Sitili Tupouniua
Crichton
Staggs
Xavier Coates
Emre Guler
Sam Verrells
McInnes
Matt Burton

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With November 1 just passing us, it is vital that we nail our retention and recruitement for 2022 over the next 6 weeks. If we nail this, it should set us up for a few years to be a consistent top 6 team.

It seems we do not have many juniors knocking the door down for first grade, which is a shame.

What are peoples thoughts on retention and recruitement?

I would be locking up Averillo, Flanagan & Thompson up until 2025

I would also re-sign Meaney and JMK as backups

I would be releasing
Napa
Chris Smith
Hopoate
Lewis
Sione Katoa
Dean Britt
Remis Smith

My targets would be
Sitili Tupouniua
Crichton
Staggs
Xavier Coates
Emre Guler
Sam Verrells
McInnes
Matt Burton
Agree with your summation. I would prefer another prop forward. The ones in the list are not NRL ready.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a pity we didn't wrap up our recruitment for 2021 before the deadline for 2022 negotiations started. While I agree that we need to make some good decisions. I would have liked a couple of weeks where recruitment talks could be shelved.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know this is "your opinion" but geez, can you say he has had a really bad game ? Every playing roster needs their back ups, solid first graders, stars and mister reliable. He ticks at least 2-3 boxes. A must keep with definite potential.
You talk about getting recruitment right yet then mention re-signing Meaney lol.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of your post but 2021 recruitment still needs to be the focus.

Hooker (need to get someone on contract, imo)
Cameron McInnes
Sam Verrills

Prop
Spencer Leniu
Thomas Flegler
Emre Guler

Centre
Stephen Crichton
Kotoni Staggs

Wing
Xavier Coates

Matt Burton obviously, ideally for 2021.
Sitili Tupouniua's a great player but we're stacked in the second row.

We also have Jackson Topine, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Aaron Schoupp and Devontai Seumanutafa coming through. I think all of them except BBO definitely should be in our plans for 2022 and beyond (when looking at our roster).

I wouldn't 100% release Hopoate and Reimis (dependant on next year, maybe cut throat with Hopoate due to the two centres above available, similar to Panthers and Mansour). The others I have no problem with getting rid.

I wouldn't be extending Thompson, he was disappointing this year (possibly has his reasons) and he'll need a big year next year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know this is "your opinion" but geez, can you say he has had a really bad game ? Every playing roster needs their back ups, solid first graders, stars and mister reliable. He ticks at least 2-3 boxes. A must keep with definite potential.
A must keep? Lol. Averillo was a must keep and that's exactly why a deal was done early to retain him...Meaney on the other hand is absolutely not. He's an okay backup at best, nothing more.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He has easily been our safest FB and is worth keeping around even if we buy a fullback or Tbaz runs with Avo in the 1. Hopa should be in the centres with Cotric unless we buy another quality centre.
Easily our safest? Doubt. Re-signing Meaney at this stage would be up there with re-signing Lewis last season...just idiotic.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You’re about 7 months too early, FFS let’s see what Barrett can get out of them for a few rounds. You might well be surprised at the effect a few strike players have on the team as a whole.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree on Meaney. I only recall two poor decisions when he was playing fullback and he was dropped the following week. I don't think we've seen the best he has to offer yet.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it just me or is their a lack of good props in our game?

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on about getting it right... We need to be top 4 2022 / 2023

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You’re about 7 months too early, FFS let’s see what Barrett can get out of them for a few rounds. You might well be surprised at the effect a few strike players have on the team as a whole.

Go Dogs
For players like Napa and Hopoate who have been around a long time, you know exactlywhat you are going to get.

They are both in decline and the tempo of the game is leaving them behind.

Going off the years you have been reviewing our players performances and physical abilities, along with your great medical profession background, your reviews have ended up being quite poor to put it nicely.

If i was being brut, i would say your reviews have been shit and you have no idea

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spot on about getting it right... We need to be top 4 2022 / 2023
After the last 3 or so years we've had and the hole we were put in we shouldn't be expecting top 4 by then. Until we can start signing players for what they're worth and fixing contracts where players are on overs (not possible until 2024) we're not a realistic chance for top 4 imo. 2021/2022 we need to be a top 8 team. We can build off that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah as a back up, i.e reserve grade

You cant have 30 superstars in the squad as there is this thing called a salary cap which applies to all clubs except the roosters
You don't re-sign reserve graders now, that's how we ended up with Lewis and Smith.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You don't re-sign reserve graders now, that's how we ended up with Lewis and Smith.
You have good reserve graders and than you have shit reserve graders.

Meaney has proven to hold his own and is definitely worth while keeping in the background.

As to the likes of Lewis he has never shown anything that resembles a halve and whoever extended him needs a good whipping on the bum with a leather belt

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For players like Napa and Hopoate who have been around a long time, you know exactlywhat you are going to get.
They are both in decline and the tempo of the game is leaving them behind.
Going off the years you have been reviewing our players performances and physical abilities, along with your great medical profession background, your reviews have ended up being quite poor to put it nicely.
If i was being brut, i would say your reviews have been shit and you have no idea
I see, you don’t like the points but have no counters so you resort to personal attacks. You have already lost.

Go Dogs