Opinion Watson heleta

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw the CC game against St George, and one of the commentators said exactly what both of you have said he should be in the forwards.
I can just imagine him breaking tackles particularly when the opposition forwards are getting tired.
For me he would be a good replacement for Elliot, I doubt he would be any worse on one edge.
He could turn out to be a S Talakai type forward… short/barrel shaped beast that can go hard for 25-35mins off the bench

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor was below par before injury, he just didn't have the confidence.

Hoping the time off has got him riled up, hope he has learnt plenty from the sidelines, and comes back full of confidence charging like a freight train!

If comes back with aggression and confidence he will nail his starting spot in the team.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here's a thought. We know what Katoa can do, how about giving Heleta a go to see what he can do in 1st grade. What have we got to lose? He may be a late developer or people automatically knock him because of his height. With the situation we are in, we should be having a look under some of these rocks, you never know what you might unearth.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor was below par before injury, he just didn't have the confidence.
I feel like he's been below par for his entire first grade career to be honest. I dont know why people rave on about him on here. Mark my words, he'll come back from injury later this year, come on off the bench 20 mins in...and first touch will be a knock on

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like he's been below par for his entire first grade career to be honest. I dont know why people rave on about him on here. Mark my words, he'll come back from injury later this year, come on off the bench 20 mins in...and first touch will be a knock on
His first year.. yes.. but he tidied that right up IMO.. after the school girl scandal and before getting injured he became our main go forward option.. Would have to look back over stats though I guess

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian To’o has given the blueprint for the shorter winger to thrive in the league. I like what Heleta has done in NSW Cup so far but with Okunbor about yo return i dont know if he’ll even get an opportunity
To’o is suspect under the high ball. Queensland just didn’t exploit it enough in Origin I club sides are already kicking to his side more as he is out jumped by most other wingers or drops the ball in the contest. It also means that the defence can be a decent line if he takes the 3rd hit up

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scores as many as he lets in a game. Constantly comes in off his wing in defence.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rate Kiko Manu higher.
Kiko's actually signed on a bulldogs train and trial contract.. I'm not sure Watson is though?

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He played good last weekend but did have some defensive. Will need to improve the D before moving to FG. But agree looks like a slightly bigger version of Matt Utai
Yep you're right but understating how bad his defensive reads were on Monday. Awful. Turns like the Titanic too.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His form certainly merits at least a look-in but unfortunately for Watson his height is a real issue.

He might get away with it in the lower grades without too many problems but the step up to first grade is huge as he’ll be marked up against superior physical specimens with great aerial abilities feeding off opportunities from superior halves who can just about land cross field bombs on a dime.

A 5’7” winger in the modern game is fraught with danger of being cruelly exposed in the air.
And 15 years ago Utai was even shorter, and he killed it. His power game made his height a non issue. So I don't see any reason why Heleta can't.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The issues I see with Heleta, aside from his height and reach, are a relative lack of outright pace for a winger, acceleration, lateral movement and he’s slow to turn and chase. As a result his defence is, to be frank, not that great. He is stocky and quite strong and goes through or under a lot of defence. There are reasons why at 26 (next month) he hasn’t cracked a regular NRL gig.

Always a Bulldog
Have you actually watched much of mounties this year? Or is this just your opinion on how his defense may be?

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
And 15 years ago Utai was even shorter, and he killed it. His power game made his height a non issue. So I don't see any reason why Heleta can't.
And the game has changed a lot since 15 years ago, particularly the physical attributes required to compete as a winger.

The average height across all wingers going around this weekend is 187.25cm. Not one is shorter than 6” and very few are shorter than 6”2’
Coaches don’t pick short wingers because it’s an automatic competitive advantage to the opposition. A genuine mismatch if the opposition winger is elite standard.

It’s a very different game mate.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Cody Walker....
Poor comparison. Cody Walker always had the talent and ability, it was his off-field antics that held him back. If he had his shit together from the get-go then he debuts much earlier.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
His form certainly merits at least a look-in but unfortunately for Watson his height is a real issue.

He might get away with it in the lower grades without too many problems but the step up to first grade is huge as he’ll be marked up against superior physical specimens with great aerial abilities feeding off opportunities from superior halves who can just about land cross field bombs on a dime.

A 5’7” winger in the modern game is fraught with danger of being cruelly exposed in the air.
Daniel Tupou and Xavier Coates would eat him up for breakfast with his dimensions! Unless he can prove himself like Sione Katoa has being a midget.